It's Not Just Miss South Carolina

8/30/2007 2:53 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Caitlin Upton should feel very proud today. It seems she's not the only young person in America who appears to be a little less than informed. Christian activist and author Mark Dice dropped by San Diego State University to see how many of tomorrow's leaders know what year 9/11 happened.

Apparently, the unsuspecting >students couldn't quite remember. Perhaps if Mark had given them a hint -- like the year the Mariah Carey's cinematic masterpiece "Glitter" was released, or perhaps the year that Britney Spears' "Slave" song topped the charts. Come on Mark, give 'em somethin' to work with! It is understandable though, that collegians would be more likely to remember the last time Britney had a hit rather than the day that changed America forever. Oh Brit Brit! Ding Dang!

Over 2,700 people lost their lives on September 11, 2001.

MsKnowsitYahll

THESE GIRLS

THEIR PARENTS

THIER COMMUNITIES

AND THEIR CURRENT PROFESSORES

SHOULD BE ashamed.

ASHAMED that they could not answer

ASHMAED THAT they GIGGLED

ASHAMED that they are alive when so many did and STILL ARE dying for their right and freedom to be COMPLETE and TOTAL wastes of cells and air.

Ned

Wow, he found 3 people who didn't know and four people who didn't want to be bothered by the guy holding the microphone. If you asked these people what year their parents were born, they probably wouldn't know.

Erin

Wow... I still consider myself young at 26, but I sure do feel old when I start complaining about "kids these days." As sad as it is to say, if we continue in this direction Americans will be living the history lesson we learned in middle school- that every great nation has its fall. Wake up, America.

ladylaw

It truly is sad and pathetic - just like someone commented above

olll

Britney Targeted in Child Abuse Investigation = 984 comments by tmz posters

Do you know what year 9/11 attacks occurred = 29 comments by tmz posters

Sister Golden Hair

How can you not know what year 9/11 happened? and what is worse, is they really didn't seem to care how ignorant they came across, laughing, acting like it was a big joke. It is truly pathetic. Their parents need to cut off the college money and donate it to the victims of 9/11 and their families.

just saying...

Well as Bush said "Is our children learning?"
My answer would be, "Guess not."

What are these students learning then?
Do they are know that we are basically at war in Iraq because of September 11, 2001?

Sad state of affairs if this is a sign of our education system today?
No child left behind my a**!

wheeljc

Britney Targeted in Child Abuse Investigation = 984 comments by tmz posters

Do you know what year 9/11 attacks occurred = 29 comments by tmz posters

Posted at 4:41PM on Aug 30th 2007 by Liz

Liz is absolutely correct!! This past week, SAT score achievement was announced, and guess what? Scores dropped nationwide! Saw few comments on blogs, except for excuses from academics and politicians. But, when it came to the three ditzy girls or Mike Vick going to jail, there were hundreds of comments per blog. Know that knowing what the dtzy girls were smoking or drinking will really put food on the table ten years from now!! WAY TO GO POLITICAL LEADERS -- and ACADEMICS!!! Know you are proud!!

Eva

All of a sudden, I'm sooo embarassed to be an SDSU alumna. I was still attending State when 9/11 happened and I will never forget that day. This just shows how little 9/11 has been emphasized in recent years and that we need to be doing a lot more the educate these young people about US history, current and old. I just visited the Flight 93 memorial in Pennsylvania and was saddened that it is still little more than a shack six years later. Sad.
As a college teacher I'm even more saddened as fewer and fewer students know what happened on December 7, 1941 or when D-Day was or what it stands for.

deelicious

How in the world can you not remember? I even remember what I was doing when I heard what was going on. It is San Diego state i mean come on you can't ask for much from the number one party school in California.

Get a Clue

Further proof of the dumbing down of America.

Your youth doesn't have a clue about anything but video games and celebrities.

The world laughs at America.

Red

I bet if there was a MySpace page about it, then they would remember the day that changed America Forever.

Nate

You say "author and Christian activist," I say "conspiracy-theory nutjob and rabble rouser . . . why give this goof any more attention by promoting his video and the rest of the trash hosted on his site?

paisley40

The dumbing down of America is such a scary, scary thing. These people are allowed to drive and breed. Just sit back and watch average IQs fall over the next ten years!

Kim

I don't know what was worst, the fact that they can't remember or the fact that some of them laughed because they couldn't remember.. This was sad

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments