« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE

Takes CNN to the Mat

11/12/2007 4:21 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

It's a case of "he said -- but you didn't get to hear it."

Quizzed by CNN about whether he has ever used steroids, pro wrestler John Cena quickly responded, "Absolutely not!" -- then offered nearly three minutes of follow up. But when CNN made its edit to their special, "Death Grip: Inside Pro Wrestling," Cena's response was replaced with: "People conceive things because performance enhancing drugs have got the spotlight. It's a hot thing to talk about. I can't tell you that I haven't, but you'll never be able to prove that I have."

Needless to say, the folks at World Wrestling Entertainment are pissed! They've posted the original, unedited video on their official website, along with the following response:

"In a country in which the news media is highly suspect, and the quality of unbiased reporting has been thrown into the trash can, CNN has stooped to new depths. Notwithstanding the fairness, or lack therein, of CNN's recent piece entitled "Death Grip: Inside Pro Wrestling," perhaps the best example of how CNN misrepresents and unfairly presents their biased, if not illegal, point of view is the comparison of WWE's unedited video above to CNN's edited version. CNN's depiction of John Cena as it relates to steroids is not only professionally and morally wrong, but damaging to his character." Now 'dems fightin' words!

UPDATE: A rep for CNN has issued the following statement: "CNN has reviewed the footage of Mr. Cena and additional video from that interview has been added to the program which aired in replays of the program on Sunday." For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

RaydioActive

It's such ashame and frustrating to know that CNN actually do such thing to a WWE superstar. If anybody who watch WWE like me every week, they will know what type of person John Cena are. He is a man and I strongly believe him and what he said.
I'm not doing this blindly because you can actually see the original uneditted version of the interview in wwe.com and you will know how CHEAP CNN was.
F-U CNN ....as simple as that~!!

DDT

It's a damn shame how the media is distoting the facts on this whole "Steriods In Wrestling" issue. First of all, let me say that it's true that many wrestlers use steriods and other perofrmance-enhancing drugs to build up thier muscle mass. However, that being said, there are also many wrestlers who don't use drugs and have developed thier physiques naturally. Now, I don't know whether or not John Cena has ever used steriods or not because I don't know the guy. What I do know is that he's been asked that question point blank several times and each time, he has denied it emphatically. And since I have seen no evidence that disproves his denials, I will give him the benfit of the doubt until otherwise is proven. And furthermore, it's not unreasonable to think that Cena could have developed his body naturally. I mean, come on, he is a big guy when compared with some of WWE 's other talent. And if you watched him from the beginning of his career to now, his body seems to have developed naturally over the five years that he's been a part of WWE's active roster. The way you can tell that a athlete has been using steriods is when they develop muscle mass very dramatically, or when they suddenly lose it over a very short time period, i.e, Chris Masters. So, in the future, I hope people will better educate themselves on issues such as this and not simply rely on the news media to provide tham with information, because as we see here, the media has a habit of let's just say, "stretching the truth". Lol.

R.Kelly

Cena is what makes wrestling entertaining.It is sports entertainment at its best.
All sports are predictable.Wrestlers are better athletes period.

kali

First of all, TMZ has a very good point with this story. That the media spun John Cena's words so that he came off different than he actually is. Second of all, when John said "No" and than everything else, he was stating that he is NOT taking steroids, but that does not stop anyone from believing what they want. All that I think he meant was that as he said. He could take a hundred tests and pass everyone of them but there are still going to be people who think he cheated the tests somehow. When he made the comment "i cant say that i haven't, but you'll never be able to prove that i have." I'm fairly certain he was referring to what I just stated. There's always going to be some people that never believe you and that's why he can't say anything, because it would just fall on deaf ears. BUT you'll never be able to prove he has because as he said, he's been getting tested since he was 17, and you can't cheat through all of those tests!

Nikki

I think CNN is stupid we watch the Media aka the news to see whats going on in the world and then we go and find out they are just takeing stories and editing them to their likeing....
I am a big fan of WWE and John cena and I tottaly agree with what he said with his interview on wwe.com ..... For CNN to interview him for 45 mins and cut it down to pretty much a 2 min clip in outragause it was Nice of him to go to CNN in the first place being Injured and having surgery
And yes you can matain a body like Cena working our and eating right....He trains all week he works out all week he does matches everyday
So anyone that says you cant get a body like cenas without Proformance Drugs you need to think again......
Ever Since the Chris Beniot death CNN NBC all of them have been on the WWE about Steriods and the WWE have been takeing mad steps to drug test and take all measures they can sooo all haters go to wwe and see the REAL interview

Click HERE please.

Friends don't let friends watch wrestling.

Bland Ambition

So he said "no" on the steroids issue, but "possibly" on the performance enhancing drugs issue. I don't get TMZ's point. There ARE other performance enhancing drugs other than steroids you know.

Mas*

Go Cena!!

who cares

The media spins a story? What's next, are you going to tell me wrestling is fake?

Penny

Good for WWE! I am a fan of wrestling and have been for years.

SHAME ON CNN, for making it seem like Cena was a steroid user!

Sharona

I've always said the media tells you what they want you to know.....not necessarily the truth.

www.sugar-shoes.co.uk

Good for WWE

death on a cracker

for those who believe everything the news tells you, please look up "loose change" ... give it a try..... even if you dont believe EVERYTHING that it states, you will walk away knowing that the media are against us... they are for the government and those who pay well.. we are pawns and are told what THEY want us to hear... not the truth!

as long as we continue to listen and dont ask REAL questions, Their "America" will never be free of hate and power hungry Government.

i have already tried to post this twice but it keeps getting deleted... wonder how long it will be before they delete this one too...

dont feed the monster, think for yourself!

2% MILK

HE CAN SUE THEM........

Shirley

Sorry Eddie, Cena's not "jacked". He' s a pretty small guy compared to the rest of the lot. No 26 inch pythons on this dude.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments