Heath's Dad -- "Heath Touched So Many People"

1/22/2008 11:32 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Heath Ledger's father, Kim Ledger, flanked by his family, released a statement on Australian television.

We, Heath's family, confirm, the very tragic, untimely and accidental passing of our dearly loved son, brother and doting father of Matilda. He was found peacefully asleep in his New York apartment by his housekeeper at 3:30 p.m. U.S. time.

We would like to thank our friends and everyone around the world for their well wishes and kind thoughts at this time. Heath has touched so many people on so many different levels during his short life but few had the pleasure of truly knowing him.

He was a down to earth, generous, kind-hearted, life-loving and selfless individual who was extremely inspirational to many. Please now respect our families need to grieve and come to terms with our loss privately.

MarkToronto

My condolences to the family. Your son was one of the good ones, and everyone can see that. My heart sank, and there are not many actors I would have shed a tear for, but I did for you son. May he rest in peace. Love to you all.

Biker 1957

Are we still going with the "Accident" theory? People seldom "Accidentally" kill themselves as they sleep. Just what is the "Accident" they keep alluding to? Did he accidentally strangle himself in his sleep? Did he accidentally fall out of bed and strike his head? Did he roll over and accidentally smother himself in his pillow? Seriously folks, we keep hearing about this accidental death, doesn't the notion of accidentally killing yourself while you sleep seem most improbable?

alicia

so young, so sad, so shocking. may God be with his family, his friends, and even the fans.

Tik

My heart goes out to Heath's family, especially his daughter, Matilda and Michelle. May God bless you always and may you find the strength and courage to "Celebrate his Life."
This is not an end it is a beginning for him.
Tik

Olivia K.

I am still in utter shock - Heath Ledger was one of the celebrities that I NEVER thought would be taken so early. For his family's sake, I hope that his death can be contributed to pneumonia - either entirely, or accidentally taking too many pills while suffering from it. I have had pneumonia and I know how out of it you can be - I just hope that the explanation of his death does not disgrace his good name or the names of his family.

My heart goes out to his friends, in and out of Hollywood, his family, his ex-wife (who no doubt still cared for him, given that they have a child together) and mostly, his dear little daughter Matilda. I hope that she is young enough that she will not remember her father's tragic death, but that she will still have some memories of him and that she can be surrounded by his presence and know how much he loved her.

RIP Heathcliff Andrew Ledger - God Rest Your Soul

Democrats are evil

Adrienne

43. RE: #30, Angie's poem. Is there any doubt in the world the she is anything other than a Democrat. I've said it a thousand times. Democrats are negative, hateful and evil people. At least she could have respect for this mans passing.

Posted at 12:27AM on Jan 23rd 2008 by Democrats are evil
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.....

Katrina

I am shocked and saddened. Heath was one of my favorite actors and I will miss him. My heart goes out to his family, friends and especially his little girl. May God Bless.

I do have to add this....While I don't wish for anybody to die, why does it happen to people like Heath? Britney, Amy Winehouse, Paris Hilton, Lyndsey Lohan...etc....they do drugs, party and don't contribute anything to society. And yet we lose a wonderful star like Heath. It's a wacked world we live in.

Kelli

Thank you #25. Toxilicilicious. OMG!! What is happening to this world?

fedup

No words can make your sadness go away right now,but to Heath's family, his beautiful daughter and Michelle, may you know the world mourns a beatiful soul taken too soon. Our hearts pour out to all of you.

alicia

RE:#43....actually if you seen the movie that Heath played in called "10 Things I Hate About You" That poem was read to him in the movie and it's not about hating him at all. The poem is about how much she would like to Hate him but that she actually was in love with him and didn't want to admit it for fear of him breaking her heart. I think the person who posted Comment #30 was posting it to pay homage to Heath.

senn

in re: to the accidental nature of his death..insomnia is a very difficult illness to address for some people and it is not uncommon for people to take larger than recommended doses to try get normal sleep. I have no problem believing that a need to sleep combined with an already weakened body could result in this kind of accident. Ambien is a very useful drug but after a while it stops working as well, making an overdose more likely. I have been taking it off and on for 2 years and when the insomnia is really bad it only gives me two hours of sleep (the CR version is only marginally better), so then I take another one each time I wake up resulting in about 4 a night ...not a great idea and I probably won't be doing that anymore :) But at a certain point you just get desperate. When you haven't slept well in months, you stop being careful with the meds. Add pneumonia to that and it sounds like a recipe for accidental death to me....

claire

My sincerest hearfelt sympathy goes out to all who knew and loved this young man, especially his young daughter and all those who loved him. My family lost my 29 year old brother a little over a year ago, and my heart goes out to Mr. Ledger's family for the grief they are trying to cope with right now. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you, during a time that I know is unfathomable, unbearable and unbelievable...I am really just so, so sorry for your loss...and will keep your family in my prayers....

ali

You know, I just keep reading these stories over again thinking the headline will change but I know it want. This is sad and unexpected. I hope the family can heal. I'm sure Heath would want everyone to go on with life while we have it and make the best of what we accomplish and are given by the grace of god.

Democrats are evil

OK, everyone is so shocked that he died. Let me remind you that none of you are immortal. People die every day. Children, teenagers, adults, healthy, sick, drug addicts, accidents. There are a thousand ways to die. So learn from it. Love your family today. Hug your kids and your parents for YOU could be the one who dies tomorrow. This guy was an actor. He was privileged yet he still didn't make it to 30. We will soon find out the cause and for all you know, it was just his time. Make your peace with God or whoever and realize that there, by the grace of God, goes I. Otherwise, be miserable and die miserable.