HERO

1/15/2009 8:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chesley B. Sullenberger III -- the pilot of flight 1549.

Career highlights
-- Flew F-4s for the U.S. Air Force from 1973 to 1980. Flight Leader and Training Officer with experience in Europe, Pacific and at Nellis AFB, serving as Blue Force Mission Commander in Red Flag Exercises.

Sullenberger spent years as an Air Line Pilots Association Local Air Safety Chairman, national technical committee member and accident investigator -- where he participated in several NTSB investigations of major aircraft accidents.

It only gets more impressive -- check out his unbelievable resume HERE.

renaultf1

Exactly...a true hero. The people on that plane owe their life to this man. The way he put the plane into the water is the main reason they are all alive. We all wish we had someone so level headed when we fly commercial. Amazing man!

BennyBlanco

This is my first post on here... Every time I get on a Commercial Jet I always hope that we lucked out with a good pilot. My hats off to this brave American Hero... Mr. Chesley B. Sullenburger III :)

raggmopp28

Fantastic !!! Hats off to this Hero ! This pilot restores our faith in flying !!! His wife and family must be so proud. I dont even know him, but I am really proud!!! The best to him! I think our new President should honor this pilot !!!! He should be invited to the Inaugranation. Better this Hero Pilot there than all of the Political Hacks and their mistresses.

phantomgirl

This defines the true meaning of the word "HERO". Way too go!!!!!!!!!

Kory

HERO!!!!

filmguy

A true American hero! This man is amazing!

Rebie Johnson

God Bless you, Mr. sullenburger

Heidi

I saw the plane in the water from my office window. Chesley is such a hero and not only did he save those passengers but he also saved all of us along the Hudson River. I hope he truly knows how much he's loved for what he did and the amazing person he is!

jlee

This is the pilot I want for every flight I take!!!
Well done!!

bizzybee2002

You are a true hero. God Bless!

99centz

what waz he drinking just b-fore the crash???a 16 oz ocean spray...............

JAckabit

A real hero...god bless him!!! HE NEEDS A CIVILIAN MEDAL!!!

eloc

Thank you Chelsley B. Sullenburger III.

JJ

Great job no doubt, but people love to embrace the word "Hero" at any and every opportunity. Read the comments in here and everyone is basically saying the same thing. He was the Pilot for goodness sakes, and he had to make a quick decision and it turned out to be the right one. What if he did not make the water and everyone died, would everyone and their uncle be calling him hero? The answer is no, but in this case all is well and again great job.

diamondgirl

AWESOME! What a GREAT story! Amazing! He is a hero...Spectacular job! Thanks for posting this TMZ, this is newsworthy!