MJ Friend -- He Almost Died During Trial

7/29/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Jackson had a huge medical scare during his molestation trial -- and according to one friend, a completely freaked out MJ nearly died of dehydration.

Dick Gregory: Click to watch
Dick Gregory, Jackson's longtime buddy, was on "Nancy Grace" last night, saying he checked in on Michael after getting calls from his parents -- only to find Jacko frantic, crying and saying "They're trying to kill me ... they'll poison me!"

According to Gregory, Jackson was just extremely dehydrated -- and a doc at the hospital he was taken to said if they'd waited 12 more hours for treatment, he would have died.

Michael was on an IV for 12 hours and then released.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

rashyluvsbeyonce

Seems odd to me that all of these people come out the woodwork claiming they were his friends...I don't buy it.

Howard Hughes TOP banana SON

TMZ is still suck N dag turd$$ out of MJ`s DOA A$$ sticks4 a livin?.THEY KILLED HIM LONG AGO TMZ DID and voodoo dr is thier puppet as they feed off baby dog$$ buutts SHAME ON TMZ

Mike

MJ always seemed to be self destructive i stress situations like the trials / accusations, etc....

I hope neverland will be opened to the public sometime - we'll be the first to provide HQ images:

RIP MJ

barb

Move over, Atkins. Step aside, Master Cleanse. We are proud to present the Michael Jackson diet.

Just when you thought you knew everything there was to know about the months leading up to the King of Pop's death, out pops former Jackson nutritionist Cherilyn Lee—who, luckily for us, never met a camera she didn't like—to shed some light on the question that's really plaguing the minds of the music legend's fans: Forget the toxicology report. Forget the multiple home raids. What, oh what, did M.J. like to eat?

Take it away, Lee.

"He loved trail mix," she told E! News. "And once a month he had to have fried chicken."

The odd smattering of snack and junk food aside, Lee said Jackson generally subsisted on what was more or less a liquid, juice-based diet. Or at least he did up until she parted ways with the singer in April, at which point he apparently moved on to more substantial fare.

Like granola.

Lee said she first joined forces with Jackson back in January, after a mutual friend asked her to drop in on the pop star's home when one of his children came down with the flu. She quickly took Jackson himself on as a patient.

"He said, 'Well, you know I'm feeling tired,' " she recalled. "'I'm getting ready for the concerts. I would love to have as much energy as possible, so what can I do with my diet and nutrition?' "

Lee quickly put him on a diet of juice and smoothies "to meet the needs of a couple things that were slightly out of bounds" for the singer.

As for why the nutritionist didn't opt for more of a solid meal plan, she said Jackson preferred his meals in liquid form.

"His whole thing was that he didn't really want to eat food."

He did, however, love his "caffeine-laced drinks," which Lee said added to his problem with low blood sugar. And while Jackson may have been food-averse himself, she denies he was underweight or that his preferences ever affected the children.

"They had structure," she said. "They sat down and had dinner together at night. Even though he'd say a lot of times, 'I'm not hungry,' this is what he wanted to do. He was a prime example of a very good father."

Not such a good patient, though.

Lee said it was around April that Jackson began having problems sleeping and started asking her for Diprivan, which she refused him, despite his persistent requests.

"What he tried to reassure me was that 'I will be safe...I will be safe just as long as someone monitors me.'

"He said, 'I'm tired of taking things to try to help me to sleep and I want to go to sleep right away. I don't want to wait for hours. I want to be knocked out.' Those were his words: 'I want to be knocked out and go to sleep.' "

Michael Jackson

I wish that he had died. Oh well, better late than never.

Winsome Davis III

It's July 29th, 2009. Do you know where your 'King Of Pop' is buried?

Z JOB

Zzzzz TMZ still try N to make a livin? Doff MJ.WEak MJ killed TMZ NOW thats justics

me

I heard this back in 2005 actually. MJ had many good friends, he just didn't know it. I have noticed that people who knew him seem to really love him and care for him. Unfortunately, he seemed to be a "unic" , one of those rare kinds that preferred to be alone for whatever reason. Isolation never ends well though

barbie

ITS VERY SAD.... ALL OF IT AND WE WILL PROB NEVER...REALLY...KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO MJ ! I THINK ITS DEF. SOUNDING FISHY ! HE TALKS ABOUT PEOPLE BEING AFTER HIM AND WANTING TO KILL HIM IN HIS MUSIC..... I WILL MISS HIM *

Mikey

MJ was physic!

Babyfacemagee

Isn't it amazing how everyone in the world comes out of the woodwork now to say how they were such great friends with Michael and had all these incredible, deep, emotionally connected moments with him.... If only that were true... Where the F were all these friends over the last several years as Michael slipped futher and further into drug and anesthesia dependency and fell further and further into denial about his illness?

Nothing but attention whores...every last one of them.

Pathetic.

atabaw

Top 15!

cookie

That's justifiable. Apparently, Prince Hamad had tried to poison him before but he didn't eat the food.

nacho

I agree with #1 - suddenly this loner, this isolated pop star has all these "close personal friends" "life long friends" who are suddenly coming out of the woodwork to tell us all about his issues, drug problems, habits, etc... Where were they when he was killing himself with all these drugs??? Right there letting it happen? With friends like that who needs enemies...

Mikey