« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kelly Slater: 'I Really Miss Andy'

11/3/2010 5:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kelly Slater -- one of Andy Irons' greatest surf rivals -- is opening up about the sudden passing of his friend ... saying, "I'm lucky to have known him and had the times we had together."

1103_kelly_andy_BN_Getty
In a statement, released today, Slater says, "I feel blessed that we worked through the differences we had and I was able to learn what I'm made of because of Andy."

Slater continues ... "He was the most intense competitor I've ever known and one of the most sensitive people. He had so much life left in him and it hurts to think about."

Check out the full statement after the jump ...

"Andy was an absolutely gifted individual. I'm lucky to have known him and had the times we had together.

We enjoyed many quiet times together with our girls in the last year and I got to know a happy, funny, innocent kid who was happy to live every second with the people he loved. I'm so sad.

My thoughts are with Bruce and Lyndie and their parents and all of his many friends around the world. It's a huge and far too premature loss for all of us.

We look forward to his memory living on with our memories of him and his child on the way. There are a lot of uncles awaiting his arrival.

I really miss Andy. He had a really good heart.

With love,

Kelly"
For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Zach

The World is a sick place - people thinking its funny to post rude comments after someone's death. The World will not continue like this - 2012 is coming! Its going to be the beginning of the new world. You didnt think our superior was going to let us keep living this way with so much anger and hate towards others?

A surf legend died. Its a big loss for a lot of people. Show some respect or shut up. Didnt anyone teach you any class or is that not taught at the trailor park schools? Its that simple.

manrique

andy costa rica loves you forever !!!! bless champ.

george clooney

I am sorry for this person's loss and I imagine a big loss for the surfing community. However, there is no different than one of the best pressers who work in a laundry mat. If both were the best in their field, its the same. So lets please not go overboard and use words like HERO etc.

Patty

Andy was a known Done head. Whatevs. Happens to the best of us. RIP.

JLS

I have a friend who is an emergency room physician. About three years ago she told me she had seen a half dozen or so people die - all under the age of 30 and otherwise in good health - but that they had taken Ambien and an antidepressant together. The common denominator was the Ambien and she finally reported it to the drug manufacturer. She told me NEVER NEVER NEVER take Ambien if you take anything else and in particular antidepressants. Perhaps Kelly is another victim of what she described.

Eric

I cant believe he died. Why did this happen? I am pissed that he is gone. Some one got him those pills and he shouldn't have been alone.

DermGunner

This really is such a loss for the surfing community and the community at large. If you are interested in learning about how he may have passed away please read: http://dermgunner.com/?p=287

skidave

Two years ago, while surfing Rincon here in California, I had one of those moments one never forgets.
After kicking out of decent wave I looked up and there was Andy
paddling out. Was so stoked when he looked over and just said
"NIIIIIICCCCCEEEEEEE". That will be the memory I'll hold on to.

We talked for about 15 minutes and it was easy to see why everyone just loved him.

Most of us have "villians" in our lives just as Andy apparently did. He was human and that says it all.

RIP ANDY AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THOSE 15 MINUTES YOU GAVE ME.

Skidave

debschira

how sad, sad. i am so sure that it was the dengue fever that got him. u all dont know yet the methadone might have been somehow involved in the treatment of the fever, we dont know. so lets not speculate okay? he was a good guy and an amazing surfer i have been told. please lets not judge. please

surfer_girl

Andy had Dengue fever- an incredibly painful disease (aka "bonebreak fever") contrcted similarly to malaria- via the Aedes mosquito. I've heard through people who know him that he was in dallas on a sh*tty layover on his way home to Kauai to see his family. I don't know why he wasn't in the hospital, or why he was flying solo, but I do know that a bunch of people he surfed with before getting stuck in Dallas also contracted dengue. Ambien and painkillers = trying to sleep with a lot of pain. As for those of you who think you can surf like he did, or that somehow skills in a laundromat equate to surfing huge, dangerous waves, you're fools. Total fools. He was an incredible surfer and an environmental champion. RIP Andy.

ray

You ****ing *******s at TMZ...
Go ahead and trash him. That TMZ schlep that looks like a surfer on your staff drags ****. His life is about trashing others. You hi-lite the worst and forgotten the best about him. Andy deserves to be treated with respect. His innovation to surfing is beyond any bloated baseball bitch could do.

Better stay the **** out the water TMZ staff.

Donna Avery

RIP lil bro always remebered by me as Iron Man luv n respect Sharkey

Sasha

I've only made it through the first page of comments, and man.. the disrespect is literally making me sick! I didn't follow pro surfing, but man.. to insult a deceased person.. that's classy..

Sorry to those of you who were leaving sympathies and good byes..

jack

andy bought out the best in kelly it wont be the same

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2