Regis Philbin: I Made My Decision 'A Long Time Ago'

1/24/2011 6:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Regis Philbin claims he was ready to bail on "Live" way before contract negotiations went sour -- insisting 28 years in the same place is long enough ... period.

0910_media_removed_Mel_Gibson
The Reegemeister quit L.A. earlier today -- hopping a flight to Miami -- and he ain't lookin' back ... at least when it comes to his famous TV show ... claiming, "I left. I'm done."

Reeg also explained, "We never reached an agreement on the contract ... but I made up my mind a long time ago."

Collen

The King of the Morning will be missed dearly.

charley hardman

leave him alone. the guy's been a prince for decades -- good energy, conventionally funny/wacky, and a PROfessional. look it up in the book.

Jody

He is such a liar. If he had decided to leave a long time ago there wouldn't be any need for negotiations.

kaz Bankowsky

Regis, why would you want to leave something as good as you have? How much do you think one little old guy is worth? the only better place you can go is heaven and you have to die to get there. Really don't be an excessively greedy old fool. Kill the ego and enjoy the romp you're on for half the price. And to really be happy give it charity. Don't you hear times winged chariot drawing near????

Lori

The king of morning television is retiring...he's done his time, wants to go with dignity.....he's never had a big ego, show some respect people!!

Allred

I thought that old Jew was dead already....

dizzy

And you wonder why show biz people never retire. It's called easy money...........

Lori

Regis is not Jewish! He's irish/italian catholic....and is always so kind to everyone. Those that don't like him, haven't watched him! :P

who farted

I love him but he's old and needs/wants to retire already.

Lori

Sorry...but this corpse was drawing a paycheck WAY TOO LONG off of this show. He knew he had a permanent gig...he was P.O'd that they decided he wasn't worth the cheddar they were paying him.

SO LONG...hang it up, turn out the lights, say....BYE BYE.

tlcmk

If Reeg made the decision a long time ago, why was he negotiating?

Wanda

Regis, get over yourself--all you think about is YOU. I love Kelly and she will do great without you.

unzen

WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY????????????????

Lori

LOVE REGIS, will miss him a lot!!!

R

The Reegester. Reegerino. The Reegeman.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments