Fake Canadian -- Worst Travel Tip Ever?

5/6/2011 1:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

One frosty-tipped TMZ staffer confesses he pretends to be Canadian when traveling abroad ... and all HELL breaks loose. Brace yourself for OUTRAGE and debate in the newsroom! 050511_TV_louis_still

Check out TMZ on TV -- click here to see your local listings!

SarcasticJedi

With Kathy as an example, I can see why most foreign people dislike us. I am proud to be American, but I don't need to keep reminding myself of being American...the Chanting really does have to stop it is cringe worthy. My country has done great things along with horrible things, along with EVERY OTHER country out there. We are just in the spotlight more due to our Foreign Policy, which I do think needs to change. I'd rather the other nations take care of their own problems and has our government take care of ours.

I am loving the condescending comments as well, every nation has their *******s, it seems America's and Canada's are posting in TMZ today.

This has seemed to have turned into a pissing contest with the obscenely patriotic of Canada and America, so I bow out.

Kirk

i totally get what he's saying. Everyone hates americans everywhere and anyone who doesnt know that or doesnt agnoledge it is either too stupid to know or is just in complete denial.

Tess

Like many Americans, we have small Canadian flags on our backpacks, as we travel through Europe...and we are treated like gold.
Also our luggage tags say 'Canada' adorned with the red maple leaf.
It's sad that we've been doing this for so many years but it's a necessity.

Have a safe weekend, everyone.

Janiti

You can tell people you're Canadian, but everyone can tell by the way you act that you're still an American idiot.

Kathy

I'm Canadian- I sure hope your not out there ruining our reputation.

magentapyramid

I ALWAYS say I'm Canadian whenever I travel - but then again, I AM Canadian!

ketjo

I'm glad there are so many Canadians who are proud of their country ..good for you...

well quess what folks....

We're proud to be American !!! We ain't perfect by a long shot but we never said we were...

And it ain't Americans for the majority on this strain whos bashing the hell out of Canadians other the to make a point or too.. Don't you think its time to call Pax and stop giving Old Harvey more money with these clicks , hell he don't care as long as the money keeps coming in .

I'm not anyone

I've worked in the tourist industry in my home province for many years. Every summer thousands of tourists flock here to see the world famous Cabot Trail (if you don't know what that is Google it!) Some of the most arrogant people I've had to deal with are, in fact, Americans. Not all are this way, but the majority of the ones that I've dealt with are extremely condescending and rude - just because your spending a few of your worthless dollars in MY COUNTRY it doesn't give you the right to think you're better, or smarter, than me!

FYI - the nicest people to deal with are Atlantic Canadians and Asian people.

EastCoastChopper

If an American is in a country where it might be dangerous - (Pakistan) and doing the Canadian Flag thing improves personal safety for a brief moment that's one thing. But if you're some douche bag at the youth hostel who wants to get laid and you don't have the balls to be American...Then don't be an American - STFU, stay home and bite your pillow.

Kitten

I'm Canadian and I make sure to wear a Canadian pin when I travel because people will be rude to you if they think you're American. I saw it all the time when I was in Europe.

Lisette

I am American, but I have lied in Paris, Rome, London, Dubai,Tokyo and Sydney... It is very true that a lot of countries around the world do not have much appreciation for American tourists (or as the Aussies say Yank's). In Paris I was ashamed of my country every year on July 4th, the amount of tourists that would gather at the large tourist hot spots, they would leave them completely littered with coke cans, cigarette packs, chip bags, candy wrappers. It was gross, my fellow Americans could not refrain and still do not from littering. The tube stations in London have no garbage containers (as they are used as bomb hiding spots, so the transport has eliminated them) but it does not stop Americans from littering... Americans travel the world and treat the countries they visit like cheap hotel rooms. They think someone will clean up after them. They tend to be loud and generally do not understand that the rest of the world does not see life through the rose colored glasses that the constitution have provided us. In most countries you are guilty and have to prove your innocence. A lot of countries do not believe the American military are needed in their countries. A lot of Americans do not believe our brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, mothers and fathers need to be involved in these "wars" either... I totally understand why Americans say they are Canadians when abroad. I do not think it takes away from your american pride. It is simply makes sense... I wonder how a Canadian would feel about this topic. Probably not very good, as they don't like us either... But we better all be nice to them, because if Trump or Palin gets in office in 2012... at least half of us will be moving there...

EastCoastChopper

And all you backpacker trail wannabes who think you're really "out there" mixed among the hordes of other global wannabes with your cell phones & credit cards, wandering Khao San Road, Kuta Beach, Amsterdam zud, Goa, Manuel Antonio and the all the typical Visa/Mastercard accepted Lonely Planet Wal-Mart travel locations...With your Sarongs made in China…(and backpack) So cultural…sitting in the internet café with a latte…
GMAFB!

Don't worry...just look both ways before you cross the street and don't accept drinks from strangers!

Canadians are polite but they also are known to sit idle (or flee) when the genocide erupts around the world...So be mad at me all you want...but be careful what you say or do, unless you want an All-American five-finger slap across your angry, anti-American mug!

Stay thirsty my friends!

christena

Wearing the Canadian flag when you are not Canadian is very disrespectful, i for one would never wear another country's flag. Anyone with any education and knowledge of the world outside of the centre of the universe (USA) will know the truth. Mr. Levin, i was truly surprised and disappointed with your reaction and comments. I hope all the people that are in your news room will have the opportunity and experience to travel while wearing their American flags. Good Luck. - from a proud Canadian.

I'm not anyone

To the TMZ staffer who pretends to be a Canadian while travelling, I've got good news for you! I just got off the phone with Stephen Harper (he's our Prime Minister) and we've decided to make you an honourary Canadian; no more pretending for you my friend. Now go celebrate by having a beer (not that icky American stuff either) and a poutine while watching a hockey game eh!

Robyn

it's absolutely true. You guys not being aware that everyone else hates you, is exactly why we all hate you so much. Ignorance much?