Former 'SNL' Writer

Dies in Suspected Suicide

12/27/2011 6:24 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joe BodolaiFormer "Saturday Night Live" staff writer Joe Bodolai -- who co-wrote the first draft of the movie "Wayne's World" -- has died ... and cops believe the death was a suicide.

TMZ has learned ... Bodolai's body was discovered yesterday by a cleaning crew at an L.A. hotel.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... Bodolai -- who also co-wrote several "Wayne's World" sketches for SNL (below) -- had been staying at the hotel for more than a week.

We're told cops recovered a bottle of antifreeze and Gatorade in the hotel room ... and it's likely his death was due to consumption of the toxic chemical.

Bodolai had posted what appears to be a suicide note on his blog on December 23 titled, "If This Was Your Last Day Alive What Would You Do?"

In the note, Bodolai writes about "Stuff I Would Like to Have Seen In My Life" -- including the Browns winning the Super Bowl and the "truth" about the JFK murder.

He also lists "Things I Regret" ... which begins with, "My inability to conquer my alcoholism" followed by, "The things I did because of it."

Bodolai also lists, "Things I Am Proud Of" -- listing family members, his time as an "SNL" staff writer and "writing the first draft of Wayne’s World with Mike Myers."

Bodolai concludes, "May you all have the happy lives you deserve. Thank you all for being in my life."

He was 63.

Michelle Foxx

SNL Curse....

Blue Lake

How tragic and sad for his loved ones.

Jack

It ain't gonna happen but the world would be a better place without alcohol. RIP.

Cheryl A.

I hate suicide with a deep passion. I know that the people who do it are hurting badly and think this is the only answer but it's not. Family, friends, Doctors, Ministers.....all these people can either help or get someone to help you.
All suicide does is hurt those you left behind and make them wonder for the rest of THEIR lives "why didn't I notice the change in him?"
No matter how bad your life is, stick around. It could get a lot better the very next day but you will ever know.

magentapyramid

I disagree, Cheryl. Those around you "see" your pain, but do nothing about it, for their own reasons.
It sucks to hurt that much. I know.

KenzieQ

Oh wow. So very sad :(

Brandon

Very sad RIP

jetfanglo

wow......hope he found the peace that eluded him here......thanx for the laughs............

awards

RIP! Don't let booze steal your life...!

writenow

Alcoholism means an inability to think about others in a healthy, balanced way. Separate from that, the thinking itself is a little flaky and egocentric. Not a good combination. fyi....the Court of Appeal just ruled on a lawsuit aimed at Passages out of Malibu.
A stay there costs a fortune since Passages caters to people who can afford their outrageous prices with an eye to repeat customers. AA is for free. What is a no-brainer for most people is a little too much for the "but my needs are special" crowd.

LAWRENCE

When did Gatorade put out a antifreeze flavor? I've always been partial to the orange but I may have to try this new flavor.

zman91

How sad that a brilliant mind could find the solution that's out there for free! AA could have saved his life, as it did mine. 20 yrs sober by the grace of the principles and 12 steps of AA.

IceGypsy

I'm sure many of us have reached that crossroad at least once in our lives. It takes courage to go the right way and face your daemons. I guess he wasn't strong enough. I hope he has found peace now. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Zorbitor

drink feeds the ego

Rogue Warrior

RIP Joe, alcoholism sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments