« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Steven Tyler's National Anthem

Did It Suck?

1/22/2012 1:08 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0122_steven_tyler_video
"American Idol" judge Steven Tyler is finding himself on the other end of the criticism this afternoon ... he's being mercilessly attacked for his rendition of the National Anthem today.

Tyler, in a glittery New England Patriots scarf, sung "The Star Spangled Banner" before today's Raven/Patriots AFC Championship game.

Popular sports site Bleacher Report posted the video under the headline, "Watch Steven Tyler Butcher the National Anthem." Jason Whitlock, columnist for FOXsports.com, tweeted, "Steven Tyler far more obscene than Janet Jackson's t*tty."

To us, he sounded exactly like you'd expect Steven Tyler to. But we ask you ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Cat

Loved it.

Arielle Rogers

The scarf worn by Steven Tyler during the national anthem was hand made by local artist Kerry McCorrmack, an employee at Gillette Stadium. Tyler happened to bump into the employee and asked if he could borrow the scarf when he sang on the field. He returned the scarf to her after the game autographed!

tony gee

I am not a Steven Tyler fan but I must say that he did okay on our National Anthem. I do not think he butchered the Anthem more than a lot of others who had tried and succeeded in really butchering it. He was good and that is right, that is how I thought he would do it as a rocker. I never thought I would ever defend this guy.

Judy

Steven Tyler is a passionate rock and roller! Perfectly Passionate Performance for a rocker! Love him!

Cheryl A.

What was wrong with the way he sang it? I thought it was fine. The small scream at the end is his trademark. Even if you didn't know it was him, you would know it was him from the scream.

erkg

Its Steven Tyler singing the national anthem - the way he sings - no different that the Jimmi Hendrix version - they didn't do it the usual way but did it in their way.

James Yerby

I think it was great. It's Steven Tyler, we knew it wouldn't be great vocals but, he did what he do. One of rocks greatess personalitys. Rock On!!!!!!

carrie

What were they expecting when they asked him? He is a rock and roll star not really known for his "smoothness" he is a rocker.I say way to go!

Who Cares

He is NOT the next American Idol....

annie

STEVEN TYLER IS GREAT. NO HE DID NOT SUCK...HE GAVE IT HIS ALL. CAN ANY OF THE UNSKILLED CRITICS DO BETTER..IF NOT THEN SHUT UP.....

roxane

Being loud doesn't mean you don't suck. You suck.

Barb Messer

I thought he sounded like he should have for his age. I also must say....at least he didn't forget the words!

Diane

Steven Tyler voice was not bad! At least he remembered all the words. About time they had someone sing it rock & roll style. Enough of that country crap!

SonicEagle

Obama should have sung it.

Dom The Mover

who's his voice coach, Randy Jackson...