James Farentino

Killed by a Broken Hip

2/2/2012 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

James Farentino
Hollywood legend James Farentino didn't die from heart failure -- according to the actor's death certificate, obtained by TMZ, he died from every old person's worst nightmare ... a broken hip.

There were reports the actor croaked thanks to a bum ticker -- but while his heart may have been a contributing factor in his demise ... the official cause of death is listed as "sequelae of right hip fracture."

For those who don't know ... sequela is doctor-speak for a pathological condition that stems from a previous injury -- in this case, a broken hip.

According to the death cert, Farentino broke his hip in December after falling out of his bed. The nature of the complication that eventually killed him last month is unclear.

Farentino was 73.

parlayer

wanted that for my Epitaft!

Cindy

Typically, people who break hips will die of a blood clot a few months after. Could have been infection, or even pneumonia from lying still in bed.. But clots are pretty typical. Takes a few months for it to travel to the heart or lungs or brain.

Dean

Docs are kind of murders now because they re stressed out and therefore don't care about your problem . last week a doc said my leg wouldn'tbe broken although I knew it was and had to force him to get an xray , he was surprised and said I couldn't see it from the outside SERIOUSLY .
and my father went to ophthalmologist , he told him that he sees something behind his eyes but didn't seemed worried or asked him to get other checks and one month later he had a stroke .
What is going on in our world when somebody who shall help you don't listen to you when you tell him something is wrong with my body help me . We lost the respect and importance of docs and nurses and make D Celebs rich and famous

Kate

I like how the black out his address at the top, but at the bottom listed where the accident happened is his address. Way to pay attention people!

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

My dad always says that a broken hip is a death sentence.

Cheryl A.

A broken hip USED to be a death sentence. In this case, unfortunately it was. Most hips are repaired or replaced laproscopically without complications. Of course, it's not perfect but a hell of a lot better then 20 years ago.

shar

My mother dies of complications after breaking her hip... emergency room nurse told me that many elderly do not recover from the initial injury and/or surgery.

LLFAN

"There were reports the actor croaked thanks to a bum ticker "

Geez TMZ what a nice way to put it.

UNLEVINED HARVEY

he was on the alfred hitch**** hour on encore the night before he died

UNLEVINED HARVEY

jeezus what the hitch**** hour!!!

Formebyme

This post is very disrespectful. I know it's tmz and it's all about gossip, but have a little respect for people.

floridagirl

He 'croaked'??? How disrespectful of you to word that about someone, anyone who was loved by others, family/firends! What is happening to you guys at TMZ. You are getting more heartless as time goes on.

Chala

Reporting Mr. Farentinos death deserves far more respectful treatment than this flip, uncompassionate article. And so do the elderly. Our biggest fear isn't dying of a broken hip. It's about dying alone or because we can't afford health care. Appalling report, TMZ. Shame on you.

gutsygirl

Don't look now, TMZ, but your insensitivity is showing...again!

Seldombinlaid

R.I.P. And God Bless James, and his family, and friends.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments