Newark Mayor

Whitney's Family Asked City

to Cancel Public Memorial Plans

2/14/2012 10:04 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0214_cory-booker_GETTY_EX
There will be NO public memorial service for Whitney Houston at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center in Newark, NJ ... because Whitney's family didn't want one -- this according to the City Mayor Cory Booker.

A rep for the Mayor's office tells TMZ, "The Houston family has no plans to set up a public viewing at the Prudential Center this Friday" -- despite several reports claiming there was going to be a massive public ceremony ... in addition to previously-scheduled private funeral arrangements.

The rep claims the family specifically asked the city NOT to plan a memorial event -- adding, "In compliance with the family’s wishes the city is not moving forward with any public ceremony."

The funeral is still set to take place this Saturday at New Hope Baptist Church.

RJ

The soul diva will always live! R.I.P. Whitney....

cranky

Need to give them somewhere to go or that church will be mobbed with the well meaning.

dd

It's their decision but I don't like it, her fans loved her too, come need to mourn...

OooooNooo!

Mayor Booker is fearful he won't be able to cash-in.

peoplearesilly

So, is this just another made up story by tabloids? Can't beleive anything we read on any of these sites. It's always all just speculation or made up crap. And to one poster who says they need to give people somwhere to go: NO THEY DO NOT. It is their personal choice ONLY. Where do people get off thinking they are owed this? Ridiculous.

Amber

I agree with not having a pulic viewing, but I definitely think they should have a public memorial service for her fans...

ThaQueen621

surely, some fans will be bummed, but EVERYTHING doesn't have to be public. RIP Whitney

awards

Whitney died BROKE! RIP...!

imnotwithstupidanymore

It's a FUNERAL, not a SHOW. People need to let the family grieve!!!

Truth

I'M SURE CISSY AND DIONNE DONT WANT A SPECTACLE A LA MICHAEL JACKSON FUNERAL SHOW WITH FAKE TEARS BY FARIAH CAREY - AGAIN!! #TRUTH!!

Karen

I have great respect for the family for holding a public ceremony, since TMZ has no respect posting pictures of the bathtub and her daughter on a gurney. A private funeral is best for her daughter she doesn't need her grief on public display.

L

After the Michael Jackson financial fiasco, I don't blame the family for not wanting to make any arrangements for the public and end up footing the bill.

PokerStar

I respect their wishes, but I was hoping they would have allowed us to view a public memorial service at the Jersey Arena. I bet people will mob that church to try to attend it?

I hope her family can find some peace.

Suzanmontana

I think that is a slap in the face to all the people that love her.

Superman

Illuminati killed Whitney so the Grammys would have the biggest ratings since 1984. That's why they're getting rid of the body so quickly. Want more proof?...she was killed on the 11th...11 is a sacred number for the Illuminati.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments