Aretha Franklin

Calls in Sick to Whitney's Funeral

But Performs Hours Later

2/19/2012 7:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at the Whitney Houston funeral service.
Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at Whitney Houston's funeral service in New Jersey yesterday afternoon ... but was well enough to perform at Radio City Music Hall that night.

Aretha said she had been suffering from leg spasms and wanted to rest up for her show, rather than travel for the funeral. She released a statement, saying in part, "heart goes out to my dear friend Cissy, Dionne, Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the family. May God keep them all."

The Queen of Soul dedicated a portion of her show to Whitney, and also to Nick Ashford, who passed away last August.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Melissa

What a heartless witch! She just made appearances on both 20/20, and Dateline saying that Cissy had asked her to sing and was unsure on what she would sing. But was doing so because Cissy asked her. How dare she cancel if Cissy and Bobbi Kristina could endure the pain of going through their pain. Im sure Aretha could. What a heartless vile person. Ok so what somethin gwas wrong with her leg, get a wheelchair lady. I would have had more respect if she had at least showed up for the service. You mean to tell me you dont show to your supposed goddaughters funeral. Im going to delete every song from Aretha from my ipod. Rest in Peace Whitney, and God Bless both Cissy, and Bobbi.

konrad

Jesus Christ. Really, Aretha? You were Whitney's godmother.

Trix LaRue

People paid for tickets to see her. She did the right thing.

John

I love Aretha Franklin and I admire her integrity in terms of her musical personality and longevity in the business.

a.l.t.

love

Areatha you should be ashame of your self point blank.

sherry

I knew she was going to do that. Aretha was supposed to be Whitney's godmother but she said she didn't even know Whitney could sing until she heard her sing "I Will Always Love You". Really Aretha, are you that wrapped up into yourself. To be honest, Aretha is not all that as a singer. We've given her TOO much credit. Patti could sing circles around her and so could have Whitney.

sherry

I knew she was going to do that! Some godmother she was, she showed Whitney NO love. She could have at least been there for Cissy Houston, but she always wants the attention. I myself will tell the truth....Aretha is no all that as a singer. She good, she's NOT amazing. Let's stop lying and making her more than what she is. Patti will sing circle around her and so could have Whitney!!!!

Hahaha

She should have made an appearance if only to kiss Whitney's casket. Made BB look good, at least he showed up. She could have been wheelchaired and given that the ceremony was so long, everyone would understand if she only came up to say a few words.
Wow...that's when you know who your true friends are/were...in your moment of needs. R.I.P. Whitney!!!

Judy

Maybe the truth is that she just felt she could not handle being at Whitney's funeral.

rommel

Maybe Aretha should put the fork down. That would solve her spasm problems...

Tigerman

JC said it best: "Let the dead bury the dead."
"Dead" in spirit, in personal trueness...
So Whitney Houston died - is the world supposed to stop?

cregis

So the world should have stopped turning because this one person died?

Sunshine

She probably knew the REAL Whitney and found a excuse to stay way.

big al

Shame on you Aretha. I'll never look at this woman the same again. Especially considering she was her god-mother. It was still a nice service without her.

Superman

I think Whitney was on the outs with many people in Hollywood and in the music biz. That's probably why her funeral was by invitation only...and still people made excuses not to come.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments