'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' Star

I'm RETIRING from Acting

... I Have Parkinson's

8/8/2012 9:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_bob-hoskins_getty
British acting legend Bob Hoskins -- who played P.I. Eddie Valiant in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and Smee in "Hook" -- just announced ... he's retiring from acting after being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

The 69-year-old actor issued a statement earlier today, claiming he was diagnosed last fall. Hoskins also thanked his fans for their support, saying he had a "wonderful career."

No kidding -- his career spanned roughly 80 movies ... and his work in the British films "The Long Good Friday" and "Mona Lisa" earned him a Cannes Award, a Golden Globe for Best Actor, several BAFTA Awards, and an Academy Award nomination.

Then again ... Hoskins also starred in the 1993 live action "Super Mario Bros."

Nobody's perfect.

ShrinkWrap

I wish him well. Parkinson's is a hard thing for the patient and the family.

AreUCrazy

So sorry to hear this.. I love him in movies. I wish him and his family the best.

Wow ...

Best wishes, may you find the strength and courage to fight against Parkinson's everyday.

Kelly

Love him. Will miss you on the screen but see 'ya on DVD. Thanks for all the great entertainment, Bob.

MiMi

Ohh,he's so sexy,yum.

lynn

Roger Rabbit and Hook... the best two movies from my childhood. Good luck Bob.

Toilethead

Bummer. He's one of the good guys.

Mark

Hey *******s, Super Mario Bros didn't suck because of his acting. It sucked because it was a poorly written kids movie based on a video game. If you had to choose a popular actor to play Mario in the 90's, then Bob Hoskins was the perfect choice.

Jude

I saw Roger Rabbit at the movies several times growing up and recently introduced ti to the new generation. I was surprised I also liked it as an adult in a different way. That is rare.. It brings back great memories. I wish him and his family the best.

ProudTexEx

Bless his heart. Wishing him the good fight. I seem to see more & more with this disease. Hopefully, he can get some good advise and direction from the Fox Foundation since he's "in the loop".

myopinion

That is a terrible disease I wish him well

Amber

Parkinson's is no joke, I wish him much luck!

birdman

**** you TMZ

The mario brothers movie is one of the best

Bridget

He's so great. His fantastic talent will definitely be missed. But I am glad he is going to focus on his health.

Nothing but the best of wishes to you Bob. Thank you for all the years of top notch entertainment.

jdranetz

This is terrible news. He was great in "Long Good Friday".

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments