Keanu Says Money Doesn't Matter -- Really?

6/20/2006 3:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Keanu ReevesKeanu Reeves now says money means nothing to him.  He's quoted in an article published saying "...I want to enjoy life and not stress myself building my bank account."

Here's the deal about Keanu's deals.  Reports are that he made $15 mil for the last two Matrix movies, plus I might add 15% of the gross.

Speaking of gross, Reeves statements ring a little less than real.  I can tell you he owns a pretty amazing house with incredible views in the Hollywood Hills, on a street tour guides call "hunk alley."  His neighbors are Toby and Leo and the price tags on the homes each exceed $7 million.

As for Keanu's crib, he's spending a huge chunk of change completely renovating it.  Keanu tells contactmusic.com.  he lives "simply, mostly out of a suitcase in hotels."

Well a friend of mine lives near the house Keanu is renting while his house in under construction, and the buzz is that he's dropping 15 g's a month for the rental.  My friend sees him all the time driving in and out on his motorcycle.

Keanu says "good health is much more important" than money.  Clearly he's right.  It's just so easy to sound like a vagabond when you're enconsed in the hottest neighborhood in L.A.   Not a big deal, I suppose.  Just a little irksome.

Joanne Sgrignoli Boyd

It seems to me that Keanu Reeves' outlook and perspective on life is sincere. He is identifying what is most important to him. The money he has and spends is his; he has earned it, so he has a right to spend it as he wishes. But just because he has it does not mean that what he has identified as most important to him is insincere. I hope that he finds what will truly make him happy in life and I pray that he continues to look towards the things that matter most - those that are without a pricetag. Methinks you doth judge too much.

Denise

Dang, why so bothered about Keanu's statement? Maybe money doesn't matter to him. It rarely does to people who have it. Usually when someone cares so much about money, it's due to the lack of it, not an abundance of it. So he's renovating his house and spending 15g a month to rent...I'm pretty sure we'd all be suprised if he was living in a box under a bridge while waitin' for his house to be ready. Sounds like someone's a little jealous! :D

Maria

Just because you have money and spend it on things you enjoy, doesn't mean that money controls your life. The way I see it is that he just wants to be happy and if the house makes him happy, whether it's $100,000 or $7 million then he deserves it. He is not saying that money is everything just because he uses it to get things he enjoys, he is saying that he isn't going to let it control his life. A lot of well-known actors and actresses have an upfront asking price for making films, he doesn't go by that, he does a film because he respects the script.

Chandra

He gives money to charity but without a lot of fanfare. But he's not Santa and he can't make everyone's wish come true.

I don't begrudge him his money; he worked hard for it.

SCOTT

If "good health is more important than money", I guess we won't see any more pics of Keanu smoking cigs...

More Hollywood hot air.

elle

Never do this comment thing, but lay off this guy! He is awesome. He said he USED to be a vagabond and now he wants to settle, give him a break! Gives away A LOT of his money and is not a pretentious, self-absorbed ass like most in Hollywood. Its amazing he remained humble, protective of his privacy, and unaffected by fake Hollywood. And I doubt he grew up rich and I KNOW he turned down much money for Speed 2 to do Shakespeare in Canada. He deserves respect and I dislike actors!

justpicky

IF MONEY DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU (KEANU) WHY THE HELL ARE YOU LIVING IN HOLLYWOOD? SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE BRAGGING ( INDIRECT WAY ) . IF YOU'RE SUPPOSELY HAPPY , THEN YOU DONT NEED TO LIVE IN THE MILLION DOLLAR HOMES , A SIMPLE $200,000 HOME WOULD DO YOU GOOD.

april

I'd be more interested in how much money any of YOU people give away. And for all anyone knows - he HAS given away the majority of his money. It amuses me when people can look at a person they dont know and have no clue about and judge.