Justin's Not So Sexy Single

7/7/2006 9:39 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jive Records is smartly trying to build hype for the new Justin Timberlake single in Europe before rolling out an expensive public relations campaign on this side of the Atlantic.  JT is in Europe hitting some clubs, shaking hands and, of course, romancing his honey Cameron.  But, while all is rosy in the Old Country the early reviews for "Sexy Back" are not so kind.

Stereogum, the Dean of Music Blogs, may really say it all in simple single sentence anticipating the coming all out offensive from Timberlakes' record company to ensure the single is a "hit." Scott writes: "In a few weeks this [Sexy Back] will be the most boring single to ever hit #1."  Stereogum readers were not any nicer, calling the effort "pretentious" and "amateur." Yikes....

Dirrrty Pop writes " This is scary and I am not impressed" while Popsugar says Sexy Back is "not so hot." Descriptives like "ick" and "sucks" mix in with a few props from the TeamSugar comments.  If the early blogger reviews are any indication, looks like Jive might have to write an even bigger marketing check to get this thing moving up the charts.

COMMENTS

No legs in Texas :(

I like the song, it's really danceable. The only thing is I found myself waiting for my baby, um I mean Justin to start singing any minute. It does not sound like him. Still , I will buy it. He didn't dissapoint me w/ the first one, I'm sure he won't dissapoint w/ this one. I can't wait. It will my be my birthday gift, since it's coming out on Sept.12 one day b4 my b-day. What a way to celebrate!!!!!!

No legs in Texas :(

Alexis

It really does suck. Justin's voice sounds ... well, whack. I'm not impressed. And I was a big fan of his first album. I guess Cameron Diaz isn't such a great muse after all.

Alexis

Oh yeah. If you want something new from a some what back in the day pop star check out Pink's new album. It's actually worth listening to, especially her new single "Who Knew."

Al

Bloggers don't make up the majority of radio listeners. Critics are raving about it and most of the response so far are positive. Sure not everyone's going to love the song but at least it's different than all the things you hear on the radio these days. I respect him for trying out something new.

Patty

I really liked the song, The clubs will play and people will start to dance. If someone else sang it, It would of gotten better reviews but since JT name is behind it everyone thinks it sucks

undisclosed

"Sexy/Back" is something new and different, and it is already taking off on the charts. I haven't seen a negative comment posted on Timberlake's offical myspace. The fans and hater views have been varried, but this song merely came out days ago, and needs time to make its round, which it obviously has debuting can't think of the chart but higher than Madonna and Christina Aguileria, a day after being played on radio, and continues to gain adds.
I believe this kid has a hit on his hands, and feel it will prove to be quite worthy in the comming months.

Two Women Beaters!!!

This song sounds reminiscent of the 80s. It does not "suck." It's something David Bowie or even Prince would have done during the 80s era - punk/soul/rock type of vibe. In fact, retro seems to be in this year with Beyonce (70s soul vibe (horns) on Deja Vu single), Christina, Janet (supposedly later going to take us back to the "Control" era). "Sexy Back" will likely be a hit and quite frankly I don't mind the retro...I love the old school sound.

Now do I like Justin....not really, he has no loyalty and I suppose you know what I'm talking about...he runs scared!

Jen

well, lets see. 80's feel, Prince like. Sounds like a former groupmates sound Mr.J.T. "Schizophrenic" ring any bells? If ya want to bring sexy back, thats the album to pick up.

Yoyobambi

Justin is just re-hashing a sound that has been going the clubs in Europe (especially London) for ages. It will do well in the UK, but its certainly not ground-breaking or anything new. For a big US artist maybe, but it seems like Justin has gone on the Madonna trail and bought a couple of dance mix cds from Camden Market in London and made their own versions. He can sing, so why the effects... very poor.

Dallas

This song sucks big time. You guys need to come out with a
secong single quick. Everyone should check out Robin Thicke 's single that's out now. "Wanna love you girl" is what you call a dance track. "Sexy / Back" should go back into the vaults until a much later time. Sorry Justin.