Oprah & Gay Rumors -- Pictures Tell Story

7/18/2006 7:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah, Gayle and Stedman

Oprah says she's not gay -- period. Winfrey says she felt compelled to proclaim to the world – in the August issue of O Magazine -- that she and longtime best friend Gayle King are not lovers.

Oprah was clearly looking to put out a fire, but it made us wonder: Where did all the smoke come from? Here's a photo and video timeline that may explain how the gay rumors got fueled.

Between 1987 and 2000, Oprah and Stedman Graham seemed inseparable, appearing at countless events and frequently photographed showing plenty of PDA.

Oprah and Steadman: click to launch the photo gallery!

As the cameras rolled, Oprah and Stedman rolled on.

Oprah and Stedman: click to watch!

Then, suddenly, Stedman could have ended up on a milk carton -- there are a scant few pictures of the couple after 2000. But as quickly as Stedman faded from the scene, Gayle King emerged, side-by-side, with O.

Oprah and Gayle: click to launch the photo gallery!

And there's more.

The two people closest to Oprah in the world are rarely seen together with the talk show queen. TMZ found only a few photos.

Oprah, Gayle and Stedman: click to launch the photo gallery!

And the story doesn't end here. Stedman has talked openly about how he and Oprah lead their own lives.

Stedman: click to watch!

Indeed, at event after event -- especially after 2000 -- Oprah often showed up solo, sometimes talking about her close relationship with Gayle.

Oprah: click to watch!

And right back at you, Oprah. At this year's Tony Awards, Gayle gushed about her famous friend.

Gayle: click to watch!

Gayle, who is divorced with two sons, helps run O Magazine and the pair are inseparable. When they're not together, they talk multiple times every day.

So that's where the smoke came from and why Oprah chose to put out the fire.

Add to: My AOL, MyYahoo, Google, Bloglines
AOL Alerts

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Jack

Yes, Oprah is gay. But to be politically correct. Let's try Bisexual. Gay is when you exclusively date the same gender, not when you do both.
Very clever O. But your time is coming to turn off the closet light.

JQ

I am both female and gay (though not an actress or a talk show host, unfortunately), and I have had a very close female friend since the 8th grade or so. Same sitch as Oprah and Gayle except we aren't rich and famous. My friend is straight, I am gay. I am not attracted to her (I am married to a woman), but I love my friend. Isn't it the same as sisters? That's the way I see it.

James

Oprah is as gay as the sun is hot! She should just go ahead and admit it...Look at the facts: Most women who have been molested at an early age like her, never recover feelings ever again for men. This happened to her at a developmental stage, imbedding itself deep into her psyche. Gail is divorced, no man, speends all her time with Oprah, talks to her constantly etc...Oprah made her career orginally as a man basher on her show....If they are not a couple, we'll find WMD in Iraq........................and that ain't gonna happen unless someone plants them there.......LOL

Dina

Oh Please!!!!! Oprah is not gay. I have close girlfriends too. It is wonderful to have someone who you can tell anything too. Boyfriends come and go, even husbands, but my friends have been there for me for more years than I wil admit too.

sharrein

JUST THINK HOW WEALTHY ALL OF US THAT SPEND MONEY ON CELEBS, ACTORS, RACE CAR DRIVERS, FOOTBALL PLAYERS, ETC, WOULD ALL BE IF WE JUST FOUND OTHER THINGS TO DO LIKE TAKE A WALK ON THE BEACH, PLAY WITH OUR KIDS, READ A BOOK WE GET AT THE LIBRARY ETC. PEOPLE STOP FUNDING THESE RICH CELEBS, WE WOULD ALL BE BETTER OFF.

Mairead Meade

This only shows how good a friend Oprah actually is and how much she respects friendship as a whole.

Tracy

If she's gay, she's gay. If she's straight, she's straight. I don't see what her sexual orientation has to do with the fact that she's a talented, well respected actress, a well rounded, charitable business woman, and a very strong, black woman who has managed to do what most told her couldn't be done. I just wish people would find something else to do other than try to bring someone down who has worked his/her hardest to make something of himself/herself. I don't agree with everything she says or does, but that's how life works. We ALL have to be ourselves. Oprah is trying to be Oprah. Give the woman a break.

Tomas

hey, the fat whor-aah couldn't get any "nickname for Richard", so she opted for Gayles' eager beaver...lol...deep down inside, I guess we all knew that Op's was a carpet cleaner....yeah baby!!!!

Sosickofyou

Hey...I lovemy best friend too. Good friends are hard to come by period. We talk multiple times a day and we work together...it simply means are lives are screwed up enough to keep conversation going. It does't mean I want to sleep with her for crying out loud.

Airlie Ann

I really couldn't care less about Oprah's sexual preference. Nor do I care to watch her show anymore since she has been on and off diets and talks so much about inane things. At one time she really tried to do good in this world. Now it seems she is too self-interested and smug. I feel fortunate to be able to tune in to something else when her program comes on.

Roxiana

Really... who cares?????? Oprah, is OPRAH for goodness sakes! She is worth more then practically anyone else on the planet with the exception of only a very few people, and she is Fabulous. She is in a relationship with Gayle. That much is obvious. But what that relationship is, is truly no one's business but their own. I think it's a little bit of backwards thinking to have the belief that they are not simply what they say they are. And what of it? Oprah is entitled just as every other person on the planet is, to do with the people in her life whatever she feels and sees fit. If she wants to speak to her Female Best freind several times a day and spend more time with her then her "man", then so what? If it works for her, if it makes her world complete and happy then I say, keep on doing what makes you happy! Obviously whatever relationship (or arrangement) that she has Steadman have, suits BOTH of their lifes, so who are we to judge? Neither of them seem upset. I think the fact that she keeps her personal life so hush-hush is what prompts the stories of lesbianism. At least every other day of her life is not splashed across every magazine or tabloid newspaper for the world to see EVERY single day of her life. I applaud her for that. So whomever it is that she chooses to lay down in bed with or talk on the phone with, is her business and her business only, and we should simply leave her be!

Elle

No, iIdon't that Oprah in gay. She is just a female celiberity who has found in Gayle a geniune friendship.

Joel Cairo

Oprah is the phoniest person (of either gender) on the planet. If we don't believe anything from her mouth, it is because of that...not because she might be a powerful woman, or a powerful gay woman...just a creep.

Tee

The question is "why do we care?". The other question is doesn't Stedman look like Herman the Monster sans the neck screws

Donald G.

Since when did a bunch of guys hanging out together or for that fact, a bunch of women running around together designate a "homosexual" relationship.

Both men and women have always gravitated together whether it be boy or girl scouts; sports; a fraternity or sorority; political or social clubs or events; shopping; working out together; meeting at Starbucks; meeting at the Friar's Club to smoke a cigar; Cheers in Boston; or as neighbors, but this does not make a person "gay".

Intimate relationships where individuals of the same gender share emotional, mental, and have intimate physical "sexual" relationship defines a homosexual relationship.

A person who shares a common bond or chemistry mentally, emotionally, without a physical-sexual relationship is called " a good friend" or friendship.

In the United States, we live in such a "homophobic" and "intimacy void" society of "fast food" relationships, lacking any endearment, commitment or integrity, and when a person has a good friend, or intimate friendship with a member of the same sex, then the persons are designated as "gay"?

Just As many of your parents, My father and mother shared with me that at the end of life, if you can count the number of "FRIENDS" that you have had in life on one hand, you are a rich person and have experienced an enriching life.

Oprah, you enjoy the the "rich" friendships in life, because it is this integrity and intimacy for people that has warranted your success, and your viewers as well as the people in your daily life embrace you because you are this person.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments