Mel Gibson Gets a Phil Pill

8/3/2006 8:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dr. Phil expressed some dismay Wednesday night about the harsh criticism against Mel Gibson for his anti-Semitic rant during his arrest.

The good doctor, who appeared on "The Tonight Show," told Jay Leno: "I don't know what [Gibson] really thinks or feels."

Dr. Phil added: "I certainly wouldn't judge a guy based on one comment in a drunken stupor on the side of the road at 2 o'clock in the morning."

Could it be that Phil is angling to get the Gibson mea culpa interview? Stay tuned.

frannie

Mel Gibson would be nothing if it wasn't for all the Jewish producers and directors in Hollywood that financed him along the way.

Adela

I'm UNpleasantly surprised at Dr. Phil's statement about mel Gibson's ignoramus comment. As a psychologist...he's getting a D in my books for siding with an arrogant, irresponsible, drunk driver who could've killed him and his progeny on the road! He could've gotten an A by keeping his mouth shut instead of wrongly judging the Jews. Of course there's NO doubt Gibson is a fanatic and a bigot of the worst kind!

Adela

To Post #7 (Posted at 8:53PM on Aug 3rd 2006 by Ernest Salomon):
Evidently you are one of those filthy renegade, traitor Jews who believe congratiating with the antisemitics will save you from bigoted treatment...And you say you're a victim of the holocaust! There's nothing worse, more evil and more despicable than being a traitor!!! Even bigots don't like them and will torture you MORE than those who courageously fight for our cause.

DORIS

I FEEL THAT PEOPLE ARE JUDGING MEL GIBSON FOR THINGS THAT HE WAS NEVER CHARGED WITH.. ONLY IN THEIR OWN MINDS.. GIVE ME A BREAK.. LET ALL WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE. WHAT NO STONES >>

VA Cop

Just a note on those who insist saying over and over "everbody knows you say/tell the truth when you're drunk."

I suppose all the guys while drunk who say "I love you man," to other guys, (not to mention other women) need to come out of the closet, right?

Drunks say crazy, stupid things. Anyone who bases an opinion on a drunken statement is making a mistake.

There's a reason all Cops say never argue with anyone drunk, on drugs or mentally unstable. Logic doesn't apply.

Norman Best

Dr. Phil should know that a drunk, while in a drunken state, is likely to say what he really means. If one believes that Mel Gibson deserves a chance to exonerate himself, then he should be required to visit The Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. in the company of one such as Elie Wiesel. (If Elie Wiesel thinks that Mel Gibson is worth the effort. He just might deserve to remain the ignorant bigot that he has shown himself to be).

Mindy

AMEN!!! Right on Dr. Phil. Finally some sanity. Mel Gibson should be judged by the way he's treated people his whole life and by the good deeds he's performed his whole life. People who really know Mel have always said he's a particulary kind and generous man, to ALL people. Moreover, he has many Jewish friends. While Mel's words and actions the other night were deplorable, how can we erase a life well-lived over many years by a few quick nasty words spoken while inebriated?

LYNN

MEL GIBSON IS JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF A HOLLYWOOD STAR'S ARROGANCE. THEY THINK JUST BECAUSE THEY MAKE A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF MONEY MAKING MOVIES THAT THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH SAYING AND DOING ANYTHING THEY WANT TO. WHAT MAKES IT WORSE, IS THAT THE AUTHORITIES KOW-TOW TO THESE PEOPLE WHEN THEY DO SOMETHING WRONG AND BREAK THE LAW.

IF IS WAS AN ORDINARY CITIZEN DRIVING DRUNK THEY WOULD BE THROWN IN JAIL AND THEIR CAR WOULD BE TAKEN AWAY. NOT IN HOLLYWOOD, WHERE THESE PEOPLE ARE PUT ON PEDESTALS. IT'S RIDICULOUS. THEY SHOULD BE TREATED LIKE ANYONE ELSE.

MEL GIBSON'S COMMENTS ARE DISGUSTING, AND I WILL NEVER GO TO A MOVIE WHERE HE IS INVOLVED.

Mindy

One further comment...the video shown here is edited. Dr. Phil went on to say that from all he's understood, Mel a decent human being. Jay Leno then said that he's known Mel for years and he's a good guy. People who actually KNOW Mel have nothing but good things to say about him. Only people who don't know him speak ill of him.

Bob

Dr. Phil's dismissive attitude toward Mel Gibson's obscene comments are almost at offensive and hurtful at Gibson's comments. I, long ago, identified Mel Gibson as a lowlife vermin. He learned well from his father. Dr. Phil is right behind him.

Richard

I believe Elie Wiesel passed away, though I'm not sure. However, the point is well-taken.

God only knows what his version of the Holocaust would have been, particularly given the fact that he has learned at the feet of his twisted father. Thank goodness that ABC had the good sense to steer clear of these hatemongering wretches.

There is an old saying that goes, "What is on your lung is on your tongue." While it's really "heart," it has been changed for rhyming purposes, though the thought is that "you speak what you feel."

The public isn't stupid...no matter how high-priced a PR firm he hires to put words in his mouth for public consumption (I'm sure he gags when he reads them) in an attempt to right this Titanic, the truth is quite clear, and is there for all to see.

He is a pathetic Jew-hatier. It's as simple as that.

But he shouldn't feel too bad. After all, he is unfortunately not alone, and I am sure that plenty of creatures of his ilk, wherever they are, will say, "Right on, Mel!"

Ernest Salomon

I am a German Jewish refugee to this country. I had family members killed in the Holocaust. As a young man, I had fights over anti-Semitic remarks and would do it today, at age 71. That said:

I was against the harsh attacks made against Mel Gibson and The Passion of The Christ by Abraham Foxman, the head of ADL and Rabbi Marvin Hier, the ehad of The Simon Weisenthal Center. The attacks backfired and a mediocre movie at best was turned into a mega-blockbuster and made Mel Gibson a very rich man. I sent both men letters saying that Gibson owed them A Lear-Jet each for their help. in making him so rich.

These two me are again leading a harsh attacks on Mel Gibson for his remarks while he was under arrest for a DUI. Yes, the statements were way out of line. Richard Nixson regularly called Henry Kissinger "My Jew Boy". Kissinger never said a word! The leader of the Black Muslims, Louis Farakhan, called Judaism "a gutter religion" and Jesse Jackson called New York "Hymietown". In my opinion these are far worse slurs than Gibson uttered. Abraham Foxman and Rabbi Hier are both what I call "professional Jews" and Hier at least will try to extort a lot of money from Gibson for his museum and then give Mel a barucha (blessing), much as he did with Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has given Hier millions. Gibson has sincerely been sorry and has apologized. As a Jew I accept it. Let's all let it go now!

Jennifer

Truth comes out at the most inopportune times, would this been an average "joe" it wouldnt have been such a big deal.. Being a celebrity has its ups and downs, and while I personally lost a great deal of respect for him and will personally never pay another dime to see anything involving him-Im very glad his "several jewish friends" can put aside the fact that a friend is a small minded anti-semetic prick... I cannot.

Tony Catholic

ok enough now, I DO NOT CONSIDER MEL GIBSONS REMARKS AS ANti-SEMITIC, what is wrong with you people ... he stated his opinion free country right? And all you Jewish people stop shut your dumb mouths if you do not have anything nice to say shut up. By reacting to every little statement made and calling it anti semetic you bring on your own problems

Tony Catholic