Manilow:

Not Hip Enough For Emmys

8/25/2006 2:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

082506-barry-manilowIn its never-ending quest to provide you with the moments that everyone will be talking about Monday after the Emmys, TMZ offers: King of schmaltz-pop Barry Manilow.

The 60-year old crooner will be performing at the Emmy Awards on Sunday, and the drama of his performance might not be whether the Manilow can still hit the high notes, but whether he can get through it without falling flat on his face.

Manilow announced earlier this month that he was going to delay surgery on both of his hips until after the Emmy Awards, where he'll be participating in a special tribute to Dick Clark. The singer is also nominated for Best Performance in a Variety Show for his PBS special "Music and Passion." But the usually self-assured Barry recently said, "I'm anxious to make it through the Emmy Awards and then right to the hospital."

So it looks like it'll be a bit of a struggle for Manilow and his rickety hips, providing one of the more riveting, TiVo-ready moments of the telecast. Will he make it? And do you really care? Most of all, what Manilow classic performance will you miss the most if the legend is laid up for longer than we'd care to think about?

Dimples

I wish someone else would appear on the Emmys. I never liked Barry Manilow and I never will.

Whatever

I like Barry he's cool.

spud

barry manlow is COOL? gosh, so is earth wind and fire.....marilyn mccoo ....chicago....oh, and the captin and tenille.....hope they book the emmys next..................yee ha

Sharon Petka

Please check your facts, Barry is not undergoing hip replacement surgery - he is having arthroscopic surgery on both hips to repair tears of the labrum cartilage around the hip joint. There is a huge difference in the two procedures.

Martin Bruny

Well, Manilow is definitely al lot cooler that the Manilow-bashing-mob, that's for sure.

dumpling

I like him. I know I'll be ridiculed but doesn't matter. His music was popular when I was a kid in the 70s and that's what I loved back then. The top 40 stuff. So when I hear his songs it reminds me of simpler times when I was 10 or 11. Ah, nostalgia.

BUNNY

SPEAKING OF MANILOW'S
I HATE VANESSA MANILOW..SHE'S A DESPERATE HAS-BEEN
WOULD SHE JUST GO AWAY!!!!
YOU PICKED UP JESSICA SIMPSONS LEFT OVER JUST TO GET
SOME FAME? GO BACK TO BEAUTY PAGEANTS BABE CUZ HOLLYWOOD AND
THE PUBLIC DONT LIKE YOU.
SHE LOOKS LIKE A BEAT-DOWN 'COURTNEY' BARBIE DOLL...GRRR...
CAN WE SPELL PUUUUUSSSSHHHH OOOOVVVVERRRR!!!!

Vivienne Reid

It's no great shock that once again, Barry has been pulled to pieces by the media. It's just a shame that the 'person' writing it couldn't get their facts right. Personally I think it all boils down to out and out jealousy. The idiot responsible for 'writing' this article obviously hasn't got the talent to be a part of any credible publication.
Maybe I should print this off...We sure are short of toilet paper.

Good luck on Sunday, Barry!

jan

Barry is sooooo sexy! Check him and his songs out. He has done so much more than the ones that are out in the forefront defining his image. Barry IS hip, hot, cool, sexy in a way that most men cannot hope to aspire to . He'll melt you, and then he'll sizzle you ! He's ultra stud!

tigerlilly

Last time I checked The Captain and Tennille, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Chicago, and Marilyn McCoo don't have a $16,000,000 multi year contract with the Hilton in Las Vegas, nor are they nominated for an Emmy. They also didn't have their most recent cd debut on the Billboard chart at No.1 or go Platinum within weeks of its release, and they don't have a dvd that went Platinum either or 60,000 members in their fan club. I'd say there are plenty of people that think Barry's very cool. Oh and while I have plenty of toilet paper, I may just print this article out and shred it; I'm running low on kitty litter.

kathleen

You tell it like it is, Crystal!!

WE LOVE YOU BARRY!! Someday, hopefully sooner instead of later, I want to see Barry's show at the LAS VEGAS HILTON. He is GREAT--and, he helps out the kids on the AMERICAN IDOL show!! GO BARRY, GO BARRY!! :)

Robin

How many 60 plus year old men do you know that can belt out a song like Barry AND look as good as he does? And look at the length of his career! Those that can, do, and those that can't, put down those that can. Wake up world...Barry is here to stay!

Janice

Barry Manilow has maintained a loyal audience for over 30 years. Will TMZ.com or the writer of this hit-piece have an audience in 30 years? I'm not so sure. He's a great entertainer, but it's easier for the idiots in the press to take cheap shots at him . Barry Manilow has made many people happy over the years, probably much more so than TMZ.com and it's writers ever will.

K

A musician with 30 + years of peformances world wide; is still releasing number one CD's and still selling out venues in Las Vegas, Atlantic City and Chicago. Actions certainly speak louder than words, particulary this article.
I look forward to Barry's tribute to Dick Clark at the Emmy Awards. Best wishes on Barry's Music and Passion nominations as well.

Lorrie

I have been fortunate enough to enjoy Barry's performance in Vegas and I hope to do so again in the future. Unlike much of today's music, his music is uplifting. Barry has a beautiful soul and I am proud to have been a fan for over thirty years.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments