Just What Vegas Needs -- More "Showgirls"!

9/19/2006 4:33 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Joe Eszterhas is a glutton for punishment.

Famous for writing such cinematic gems as "Basic Instinct," "Jade," and "Sliver," Eszterhas is now reportedly hoping to turn his most titillating work, "Showgirls," into a musical.

The film, which was supposed to make Elizabeth Berkley a star instead of a punchline, did succeed in raising the bar in the 'its-so-bad-it's-good' category at Blockbuster. "Glitter, "Gigli", and "Catwoman" send their thanks.

Despite the fact that the camp classic bombed at the box office when it was released in 1995, Eszterhas is now looking to take his ode to all things tacky and topless to Vegas.

Barring a minor miracle, the "Showgirls" musical is destined to recreate it's celluloid fate on the Sin City stage.

One thing the show does have going for it, according to New York magazine, is that Eszterhas hopes to resuscitate Nomi Malone with the help of producers from the musical "Urinetown."

Which sounds appropriate considering "Showgirls" reeks of another similar biological function.

Heather

hawt!

We, are not amused.

Oh yeah next time imin vegas I am soo gonna go see this piece of crap. Right after I see that fat fag boy Elton and the friggin' gay french circus. WHat has happened to this country? How is this considered entertainment?? WHere is the jello wrestling, crotch grinding dwarf chineses strippers? Thats what I wanna spend my hard won $$ on/

Jonboysf

I'm sure you can find everything you need back home in Tulsa, "it all in fun, right?". I'm sure Vega$ will gladly pay you to stay away.

That said, I'll be lining up to get Showgirls tickets! Can't wait!!

jason

whoever wrote this clearly doesn't appreciate camp. plus, the author wrote "Showgirls" wreaks of another similar biological function." wreaks? the try using "reeks" when referring to smell or i'll wreak havoc on you!!!

YMCA - Your Movie Channel America

lol Poor Jessie from Saved By The Bell. I guess the "gang" shouldn't have stopped you from taking all those caffeine pills. An overdose may have done you some good. lol

PAULINE

I REALLY LIKED THE MOVIE. ELIZABETH BERKLEY WAS THE PERFECT NOMI MALONE. MY HUSBAND I WOULD DEFINETLY GO SEE THIS IN VEGAS IF IT WERE TO BE MADE INTO A SHOW. WE NEVER UNDRSTOOD WHY THIS PICTURE GOT SUCH BAD REVIEWS . WE EVEN PURCHASED THE DVD