R&B Crooner Gerald Levert Dies at 40

11/10/2006 6:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Singer Gerald Levert has died at his home in Newbury, Ohio, according to his record label Atlantic Records.

His family tells local news sources that it appears Levert died in his sleep, possibly of a heart attack. He was 40 years old.

Levert, who was the son of Eddie Levert, the lead singer and a founding member of the O'Jays, had his most famous hit with "I Swear," penned by David Foster. Gerald sang with his brother Sean and Marc Gordon in the R&B trio LeVert, with whom he had several number one singles on the Billboard R&B charts, including "Casanova," and had a hit duet with his father, "Baby Hold on to Me."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Burhedita Thompson

Gerald Levert was just awesome .His death should be a wake up call to all black Americans and others as well . GET IN SHAPE! I HAVE LOST 29POUNDS SINCE HIS DEATH. NO MATTER WHAT THE AGE DEATH CAN BE JUST AROUND THE CORNER. I placed a picture of him at work to keep his spirit with me. Give it all you got to you can't give no more.

Lisa Calloway

This is so sad he was great singer....LC

Get Rid of Hollywoods Crack Whores NOW

That bummed me out...... My thoughts are with his family :(

SImone M.Francois

May god grant peace to his family .Gerald is at rest.Know god loves you and Gerald the most.

brenda

DAMN ANOTHER GREAT ARTIST GONE.....MY CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY

Sherry mccall

I LOVE GERALD LEVERT SO MUCH. IT IS BREAKING MY HEART THAT HE IS DEAD. I FOLLOWED HIS CAREER FROM THE EARLY DAYS. TO GERALD'S FAMILY MY HEART AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOU INCLUDING HIS CHILDREN. GERALD LEVERT WILL BE SO MISSED. I AM IN COMPLETE SHOCK. I WAS HOPING THAT THERE WOULD BE A BLOG SAYING THERE IS A RUMOR GOING AROUND ABOUT GERALD LEVERT, HE IS ALIVE AND WELL. I STILL HOPE THAT COULD SAY IT. TO SAY YOU WILL BE LOVED AND SO VERY MISSED IS SUCH AN UNDERSTATEMENT. I LOVE YOU, GERALD. REST IN PEACE.

Karen

This breaks my heart, my prayers are with his family. He will be missed.

Lynn

I am absolutely stunned. Gerald was one of those great artists that you just knew would someday make a great come back with such talent and a distinctive voice to match. My former husband surprised me by playing one of Gerald's songs as I walked down the aisle on our wedding day (not a dry eye in the house). Although we are no longer together, he was the first person I called when I heard the news of Gerald's passing.

Gerald, you will be truly missed and my thoughts and prayers go out to your friends and loved ones.

Deeply Saddened,
Jerri

bboutdoorsman

R.I.P.

Me n Busta, JJ, Hasbro, n Gumz is gunna miss you man. We sure did play like we was livin our last days.

Much love to you and the whole fam. God bless dis whole mess.

Cedric

Man, this is hard to believe. Gerald Levert was one of my favorite male singers. He was so much of a worker when it came to music and putting good love music in the atmosphere. He will be missed tremendously. To his father, his daughter, his brother Sean, and the entire Levert family my prayers are with you. Much too young to die but God has a plan and a purpose. God Bless!!!

Vivian L McCorkle

I was sad to hear that he had passed. I'll keep him and his family in my prayes. Rest in peace.

Jeanine Hunter

Wow I am totally in shock......Its not like I knew Gerald personally....but I knew his music....and I liked his style....My Prayers are with the family.....God bless~!

t-roy

damn that hurt a lot of people gearld was cool and look real laid back .Man this world is real 1 day u here and the next day could be gone.R.I.P gearld. you will be miss

Alix

NO! NO! What a voice.

Mary Beth

My best wishes go out to his family. He will be so missed... RIP

* Mary Beth