Queen Latifah: I'll Adopt, But I'm No Madonna

2/12/2007 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Queen Latifah wants to adopt 18 kids, but unlike Madonna and Angelina, she won't be leaving the country to do it.

During a revealing interview with Ellen Degeneres, her majesty said, "I want to adopt an American baby ... there's just so many kids that could use a home." While Latifah says she completely understands why Americans would want to go outside the states, she would still rather "help a kid in the hood."

You can catch the entire interview on today's Ellen. Long live the Queen.

andrea

I appluad the Queen for choosing to adopt American! I have been saying this for years it is nice to help other countries but why can't we fix home first. We have homeless children, children in orphanges all over the world. It is time that Hollywood gives back to those who really support their lifestyles!

N

Who cares!

Dee

WAY TO GO QUEEN LATIFAH!!!!!!!!

Clean your own house....before you go and clean someone else's.....

I agree 100%......we have too many neglected children here.....

CL. Collins

That's the smartest thing I've heard anyone from Hollywood say about Adoption. It's about time domestic Adoption got the attention and respect that it deserves. You go girl, this is one Adoptive Mom that's proud of you!! Blessings to you and all that come in contact with you!!

No legs in Texas :(

Leave Madonna OUT of it!

Mouse

Adopt and shut up

Morrigu

I don't see this as a slam against Madonna - it's just that she says she's planning on taking a different angle on it, and why does her sexuality have anything to do with her desire to be a mother.

Everpissy1

Adopt American! There are plenty of kids in this country that need homes. While adoption is a very noble thing, I don't understand why people need to travel all over the world to adopt a child, when they can just go to their local welfare office and adopt a kid who needs a home. Bravo for the Queen!

somebody's mama

I think that's cool. There's an orphange around here that got closed down not to long ago for abuse of the kids. Yes, it's terrible what happens to kids in other countries, but that doesn't make them any more or less deserving of a good home then the kids in America. Long Live Queen Latifah! She's an amazing artist, it seems like she's a good person too! (And even my Grandma, at 81 years old, thinks so.)

DMHess

Good for you Queen. I think it is wonderful that someone is going to adopt a child within the U.S. I applaud anyone who wants to give an orphan a home.

biblica

who ever said she was gay?

Wicked

I don't know why she chooses to adopt rather than have her own baby, but that's her choice...I don't think people should call her a lesbian. She's not a lesbian. Why would anyone say that? It's all stupid rumours. Queen is a very nice woman, very kind to others.

cindy

thank you queen latifah! i am so happy to see that someone gives a damn about "our kids"! i have been a fan since the begining, you are one of the few who doesn't seem fake or forget where you came from!

ScienceGirl

It's great that she's going to adopt from here, the problem is that alot of laws don't allow children in the US to be adopted outside of their race. I think it's starting to change but there is still a big problem of being able to adopt outside of your race. So great for her!

Get Over it People

Who the hell cares if she's gay or not? All she's saying is that there are plenty of kids in america that need looking after, and she's hoping to do just that. This was not a stab at madonna or angelina or anyone.

some people need to mind their own business

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments