Oprah Opens Another School -- in South Africa

3/18/2007 4:06 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah Winfrey sang, danced and celebrated with the kids of the Seven Fountains Primary School on Friday, a new school for poor South Africans funded by Oprah's Angel Network charity.

The $1.6 million school has 25 classrooms, a computer center and two sports fields, and serves around a thousand students -- nearly 800 more than her other South African school, Oprah's Leadership Academy for Girls.

Oprah's has received both praise and some heat on that project -- a $40 million school with 28 classrooms which only serves around 150 girls -- since it opened in January.

No word on whether the talk show queen ever plans on opening a school for disadvantaged kids -- of which there are many -- in the U.S.

Naomi – Leave the Manolos at Home

Tomorrow, convicted cell phone thrower Naomi Campbell starts her five-day community service stint with the New York Department of Sanitation. She'll be mopping floors across the Big Apple as punishment for her attack on maid Ana Scolavino. Any tips for Naomi on her big day? Sanitation boss Albert Durell told the New York Daily News that he hopes that she'll "know not to come in high heels or anything like that. "Sneakers and blue jeans are a good idea. Wearing Manolos is not."

Eager to prove she's over pelting others with BlackBerries, Campbell says that the clothes she wears while performing community service will be auctioned for charity. We'd rather have the Manolos, Naomi.

Mills Could Be "Screwed" Says Rival Dancer

When "Dancing with the Stars" returns for its fourth season tomorrow night, all eyes will be on one-legged contestant Heather Mills -- including those of her fellow dancers. The New York Post talked to some of her competitors, who are equally in awe of Mills' moxie and prosthetic limb. "If I weren't on this show, I'd so be watching it," said DWTS fellow dancer and model citizen Paulina Porizkova. "Who wouldn't want to watch Heather Mills dance?"

"Stars" creator Conrad Green says that the judges should treat Mills like everybody else, but that she can't be penalized for things she clearly can't do, like, point her prosthetic toe.

Adds Porizkova, of the soon-to-be-ex-Mrs. Paul McCartney, who is Public Enemy No. 1 in her native England, "If she comes on and shows how warm and wonderful and gracious she is, the people are just going to go for her. However, if she doesn't, she's screwed."

Party Favors...Felicity Huffman Makes Jessica Alba Cry...Elton John Banned...David Duchovny returns to TV

Jessica Alba told Page Six that she recently took an acting class with married actors Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy. "Felicity was very hard on me," she said, adding that Huffman made her cry, "because I didn't prepare a scene right, or I didn't talk loud enough." ... Elton John is banned from playing the Plymouth Jazz Festival on the Carribean island of Tobago because he's gay. The archdeacon of the island told the London Standard that "his visit to the island can open the country to be tempted towards pursuing his lifestyle." Or pursuing platform boots. ... "X-Files" fans rejoice! Agent Mulder aka actor David Duchovny is set to appear in a new untitled comedy for Showtime this summer.

Shanna

Oprah, why don't help people in the U.S.? All these rich, famous celebrities can do so many big, huge, helpful things out of the country but it seems like nobody famous can do anything helpful & newsworthy here in the United States.

You shouldn't forsake your own country, nor the fans who made you.

TxHotGirl_HTown

I think you Oprah is doing is great. At least she is helping many kids instead of hand picking one out of each country like Angelina Jolie and not out stilling other women's men. I wish I could help people in some of the more unfortunate countries. Plus Oprah has done much for this country. If anyone needs to be pointed out for helping other countries like one that wants to blow us up maybe you should open your eyes and see how your own President is bringing our country down - at a fast pace. Way to go Oprah!

Oh

I'm not a fan of Beil's..but Jessica Alba had a similar story about Felicity Huffman. Doesn't suprise me ...Huffman has a very snotty, bitchy air about her. Really, who the hec was she before Desperate Housewifes. I never heard of her...just another actress, imo. Nothing special.

lily

so was it Jessica Alba or Jessica Biel? - Jessica Biel in headline and Jessical Alba in your story.

Oh

ooops...sorry, It was Jessica ALba...got the 2 mixed up. Jessica Alba told the same story on Regis months ago. She said Huffman was very hard on her..so, I still say...not a fan of Huffman. Glad she lost in the Oscars, too!!

Katie

Sorry people, but its NOT the responsibility of celebrities to keep this country running - its the government's. If there are shortages in funding (or other problems) with education (or whatever) in this country it is the fault of the government, not Oprah's, or any other celebrity that has millions of dollars. Complain about it to Bush or some other rich, white male.

kim

I don't think anyone is "talking" about Heather Mills. I think she is doing all the talking and no one is listening -- she is a gold digger and will always be a gold digger. Personally, I hope she gets booted off after the first show.

Christina

If you live in the United States, NO MATTER HOW POOR YOU ARE, you have the opportunity to work and make something of yourself. Anyone can go work at McDonalds! That's the beauty of living in America! People in South Africa, especially the women, will never have the opportunities that we have here. And Oprah recognizes that. I commend her for being such a generous person, she is such a great influence on this world.

I know who my babys daddy is

This is to post #8 Shannon R. I resent your comment about the black male. I am married to a black male and I am sorry to dissapoint you but he doesn't have 12 inches. He is also very educated and teaches High School AP Class Trigonometry. I understand post #7 should not have said to complain to a rich white male. That was a biast comment. But for you to come back and say what you said is just as wrong. There are thousands of rich white men as well as rich black men. Lets just say if we don't like the things that are going on in our country we should take a step forward. and write to your Congressman let the blame be on our Government. But we as Americans need to start off by looking in our own back yards and take the blame as well. We are raising our Kids to be the way that they are. Teach them about God, values, morals, and ethics this is the way that my husband and I teach our children and we as Americans not black or white can change the world.

Maggie

I agree with Kristina. Even the poorest Americans have more than most people throughout the world. Currently I am teaching in Yonkers, NY (an urban area where the majority of people are immigrants from Mexico and South America) and the students I teach are poor. Many of them live in tiny apartments with 15 to 20 other people. Yet they still come to school with their Air Jordan sneakers, cell phones, and PSP's! Americans are given free education which is not the case in other places around the world including South Africa......So for all of you who want to complain about Oprah helping non-Americans, give it up! Americans are so spoiled....THE WORLD DOES NOT OWE US ANYTHING! As adults we should be teaching our children that material objects are not important and that money is not the end all be all of society!

Amy

Maybe if kids in AMERICA did not think that they have such a sense of ENTITLEMENT, which comes from their parents giving them everything they want......................They would appreciate EDUCATION over an IPOD, cell phone or clothes!!! People get real! An IPOD or clothes will not get you through life! What Oprah is doing in South Africa is AMAZING, and these kids APPRECIATE what they are getting! And, it is HER MONEY that she has earned, she can do with it whatever she wants!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canuck

OPRAH - why should she open another school in the U.S., the U.S. already has a public school system which ALL U.S. kids can attend.

HEATHER MILLS - who cares? But while I'm here, that show is called Dancing with the Stars. Since when is HM a star?

J. Owen

I agree with Canuck - since when is Heather Mills a star? Or is it just the marriage/divorce that makes her famous?

And I think it is great Oprah wants to build a first class school in Africa for girls. Why not? It's not everday you see celebrities doing something to help under-priviledges or poor girls/kids.

And whoever is criticizing Jolie for adopting kids outside of the US, get over it. Why don't you adopt some US kids? Better yet, just become a big brother or big sister to some foster kids in your spare time. I bet you wouldn't even consider it. So don't be angry that Oprah and Jolie are doing something to help others.

wtf??

Shannon R - get a life and stop spreading your messages of hate and envy. Your comment wasn't even necessary. The article is about what Oprah is doing for others, not the size of a man's pe nis.

And it isn't Oprah's responsibility to fund our education system, it is some white guy's responsibility - his name is Bush. And when he took office part of his job is to make sure the public schools were properly funded.

So yes, it is ultimately one white man's responsibility to because he chose to take the job. HOWEVER (and before all the racist/stupid white trash and ghetto blacks start responding) it is up to each family/parent/older sibling/aunt/uncle/friend to do what they can to teach the kids in the country to stay in school and get their free education.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Celestine

I want to say congratulations to Oprah as she is doing so much for those under privileged in Africa. Angelia Jo Lee is also doing so much to help those who are in need of help, love and a chance at a good life. There is so much going on in this world today, and we should be inspired to see those who can afford to help others and support such projects. Yes, both Oprah and Angelia go outside of the U.S. to help children, however, I feel that today in the U.S. to many do not care for the advantages they are given. They are given public schools to learn in, it is up to them to learn, and the parents to encourage and nurture those children, it is not up to anyone else. Personally, I would rather help someone who is thankful and will take advantage and use what they have been given to better themselves, then to take advantage and abuse it.

Salute to Oprah and Angelia. God Bless to all who seek to show compassion and humanity, we need more of that in this world.

Celestine