"Lost" Diary -- Catch-22

4/19/2007 12:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

To clear up a little confusion: I know that Henry Gale's real name is Benjamin Linus, I just prefer Henry Gale. I can't quite explain why, but as soon as I heard the name "Benjamin Linus" I just said, "Uh-uh, no way." So I proclaimed way back when I first my wrote diary that I would always refer to him as Henry Gale -- I just think it sounds better. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week I'm working with the skeleton crew of myself and Ari. Let's roll:

10:00 -- The intro is all about how Desmond thinks Charlie is going to die. Is this the night I have been waiting for?

10:01 -- Charlie and Hurley are having a stupid comic book argument when Charlie gets shot in the throat with an arrow. It can't happen like this, can it? This has to be a dream, right?

10:02 -- Yup, we cut to one of Desmond's flashes of the future: Hurley pulling a cable, a blinking red light in the sky, the picture of Desmond and Penny, Jin looking up, some kind of a sheet, someone hanging, and Penny's face (yes, we went back and watched in slo-mo). Hey, as long as it ends with Charlie dying, I'm cool.

10:03 -- "Because someone is coming." -- Desmond. Well, he can see the future, so ...

10:07 -- Desmond flashback time, and no one is disappointed by that. Apparently he's in some kind of convent where they like to call people "brutha." No wonder he likes it there.

10:08 -- Desmond needs Jack's first aid kit -- to save Charlie, I am assuming. Also, Hurley: great eulogy giver, terrible liar.

10:09 -- Early warning: If this episode gets too sappy, it will lose me. I am all for emotional, but let's stay focused here.

10:10 -- Gratuitous shot of Kate in her underwear -- I'm a fan.

10:11 -- Sawyer wants round two with Kate. Hard to blame him.

10:12 -- "Want me to make you a mix tape?" -- Sawyer. There isn't a guy alive who hasn't done two things: a) made a mix tape for a girl, and b) thought it would actually work.

10:13 -- Desmond is plotting on how to get Jin to follow him. Now, any discussion about the space-time continuum usually gives me a headache, but let me throw this out there: If Desmond tries to force his vision to come true, do you think it still happens in the exact way he saw it?

10:14 -- Desmond is willing to sacrifice Charlie to get Penny to come to the island. Now THIS is a plan I can get behind.

10:18 -- Hurley and Jin find the wire. I love it when a plan comes together.

10:19 -- "Perhaps you underestimate the value of sacrifice." -- other monk. As long as that sacrifice is Charlie, I'm fine.

10:21 -- A fairly innocuous scene between Kate and Jack is really just meant to show us how far apart they've grown. As soon as they are done with their awkward conversation, Jack goes right over a giggling Juliet. And Kate ...

10:22 -- ... goes right to a horny Sawyer. Kate could use me for sex anytime. It's not a Sawyer/Kate sex scene if Lauren isn't around to pant at the screen.

10:23 -- Jin's scary story and Desmond's sappy one are interrupted by what sounds like a helicopter in the distance. Nah, couldn't be.

10:25 -- Something splashed into the water and then they spot the flashing red light. It's all happening.

10:31 -- Desmond is trying to convince everyone to go out into the jungle now because he has to follow his vision step by step. I can't help but think that Desmond trying so hard to make his vision happen isn't going to work out like he wants.

10:32 -- Charlie is defying the vision, refusing to go with Desmond. See, if Desmond would just let things happen instead of trying to force them to happen ...

10:33 -- Another Desmond vision shows what looks like a catapult and a parachuter stuck in a tree. Totally normal.

10:34 -- Is it me or did Desmond just flash Charlie a look that says, "I'm leading you to your death and you don't even know it"?

10:35 -- So apparently, Desmond dated this Ruth girl for six years before breaking off their wedding. Desmond certainly has commitment issues. Oh, and I want to date a girl with an accent.

10:36 -- While Desmond is giving this poor girl some sap story, now seems like a good time to mention this episode kinda sucks. Just saying.

10:37 -- "You two arguing over who's your favorite Other?" -- Sawyer. That's a GREAT line. Of course, my answer is Henry Gale, but you knew that.

10:38 -- Watching Sawyer and Jack bond over ping pong (while avoiding the topic of Kate) is pretty funny. It's like a pissing contest with paddles.

10:39 -- Charlie, actually acting perceptive for once, is wary of Desmond and his little plan. But Desmond finds a backpack that fell from the sky that has an iPhone in it. OK, it's a satellite phone, but it sure looks like the iPhone.

10:40 -- Oh, and the parachuter somehow has a picture of Desmond and Penny in between the pages of a book. What book you ask? Why "Catch 22," of course!

10:43 -- Sawyer confronts Kate about throwing him a sympathy lay. Take it where you can get it, my man.

10:44 -- So now here is the question: With everything that has happened, does Desmond do something to prevent Charlie's death? Because God hates me, I'll go with yes.

10:45 -- Are monks allowed to get drunk?

10:46 -- Guess not -- Desmond just got monk-fired.

10:47 -- The Flash vs. Superman argument has begun. Place your bets now: does Charlie die? I go with no.

10:48 -- Yup, Charlie survived. I don't even want to watch the rest of the episode right now.

10:53 -- Desmond is worried that by changing his vision, he has failed God's test. I can't speak to that, per se, but he sure failed my test.

10:55 -- Does anyone really think Penny is the parachuter?

10:56 -- So the point of this whole flashback was to show us how Desmond met Penny. We needed a while episode for that? (By the way, check this out).

10:57 -- Seriously, does ANYONE think it's really Penny in there? Who could it be?

10:58 -- Last chance to guess... I'll say Michael. Wouldn't that be great?

10:59 -- Nope. Who is that chick?

Forgetting for a second that a random woman fell from the sky (which is certainly important), did this episode have any other redeeming quality? Were Locke and Henry Gale in the episode? Nope. Terrific dialog? None. A mind-blowing scene that you had to rewind and watch again? Uh-uh. Oh, what about a great flashback that taught you a lot about the character? Nah.

Did Charlie die? No, no, no.

I give this episode a D. They could have dropped this woman from the sky at the beginning of the next episode. I mean they had nobody fooled whatsoever: we knew it wasn't Penny in the parachute and we knew Desmond would save Charlie. This episode didn't do a damn thing for me.

But I did enjoy the theme of fate and sacrifice. Here's a thought: if Desmond didn't save Charlie, would it have been Penny in the parachute? Afterall, Desmond made the choice to alter that part of the vision. He wasn't willing to sacrifice Charlie, so he didn't get the reward. Something to chew on.

Since I have nothing more to add about this week's episode, I am going to make this week's question a tad personal. You guys read about my "Lost"-watching experience every week -- what's yours? See you next week.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Elicia

Ok.....so who else notice Ms. Hawking in the picture on Brother Campbell's desk? Ms. Hawking was the one from the episode "Flashes Before Your Eyes". She was the old lady who wouldn't sell Desmond the ring. So is that Brother Campbell's mom? CRAZY!

Some dude

Man I wanted to be the first one to point that out!!!

But yep, that was totally her.

Some dude

Also, "108 bottles of wine made, at a cost of 108 quid"

theeg

I disagree whole heartedly Daniel. I thought it was a really good episode. I'm a huge desmond fan and it thought it was interested to look at how he has always run from things in the past and now he is chasing things, mainly Penny. I loved the fact that they showed how they met. And who else noticed that flash of light on the screen when charlie and hurley were arguing. One of the highlights for me will be seeing Desi and Penny re-unite.

Stacie

Yeah, I noticed Ms. Hawkings in the picture. Does that mean that from the very beginning someone picked which people would go to the island, how they would get there. It's a chess game, only problem is we don't know who we are playing?
Now as for the girl, who is she and how does she know Desmond? Penny's sister or something. Desmond's sister?
Did I learn anything- no. Just that Kate is still a little hung up on Jack and that guys still believe in super heros.
When will Locke and Ben back? Maybe next week.

Mary

I don't get it....it seems like Desmon's "vision" was dictated to him -- he had to make it happen. That's not how it's supposed to work. I think someone/thing is messing with his head to get him to do what they want.

Lisa

I noticed Ms. Hawking in the picture on his desk too-- so there were some random connections in the episode.

Personally, I liked the episode, I like Desmond and think the whole "he was a monk then got fired" thing was funny and an unexpected explanation for why he calls everyone "Brotha". As for Penny, disappointing it wasn't her in the trees but I don't think it would have been her anyway- I'm sure she sent the chick to look for Desmond- Penny is rich enough to pay other people to do her dirty work.

There was no way Charlie was going to die and Daniel is sick that whenever Charlie is threatened I think "Oh Daniel from TMZ will be SO excited if he dies!" Personally i don't really care. Hurley is a terrible liar and Jin's story was funny. Juliette and Jack are annoying the hell out of me as well.

I think the season is finally getting good and who knows what news from the real world this new chick will bring...they've been gone for months and Desmond has been gone for years...

Elicia

Sorry Brutha Craig......you snooze you lose. :)

ranrod

i really love how this show makes us draw theories....i read from somebody in this forum that ben could be claires baby...if thats the case, could desmond be the older monk and penny - mrs hawkings coz they seem to know ....somehow they are lost in time and trying to find each other...i dont know anymore.....
and 1 more quetion...if juliets sister's cancer is gone...could she be in the island too?

lovelost

While I love reading your entry each week, I totally disagree this week about giving the episode a D. Though I did instantly think of you in the very beginning when Charlie got the arrow to the throat. Anyway, what I got from this week's episode was that Penny is looking for Desmond and it tied into the season 2 finale. BORED w/ Jack & Juliet v. Kate & Sawyer. But I liked the background story and how Penny came into play.

Anyway, my lost watching experience consists of getting a Starbucks cafe mocha, curling up on the sofa, turning off all the lights (movie-style) and watching the show. I rewind a million times to see things I missed or didn't hear correctly. My husband gets annoyed I watch the show every week and constantly comes into the family room and gives his 2 cents, which bothers me to no end and I have to banish him from the room.

Can't wait for next week...

Shannon

Hey, I love your column..read it every week. I agree with the grade. Not the best way to follow up such a fantastic episode like last weeks. I think if Desmond had let Charlie die it definitely would have been Penny!! Whoever is involved in finally offing Charlie should be REWARDED in a BIG way! He has to be the most annoying character on tv (next to Meredith Gray).
Here's a thought...if they are existing on a seperate timeline, will it correct itself if Charlie dies?

Kim

I saw the picture too!!! When I saw it I couldn't wait to read this week's blog to see if anyone else saw it!! Who's the girl who fell out the sky? She knew Desmond's name and it looks like that book with Desmond and Penny's picture was in the plane too.

lostfanatic

I look forward to your recaps every Thursday...they make me laugh out loud. I give this episode a C. If it wasn't for Sawyer and his quips it would get an F.

JenSawyer

I disagree with the D grade. While a great episode of Lost is filled with suspense and mystery you forget that we have watched these characters for 3 years. We need to have (every once in a while) insight into their everyday island lives. The writers need to get us attached to the characters so that it's even more dramatic when they kill the character off :)

I love the drama between Sawyer - Kate - Jack and am panting right along with Lauren in the Sawyer scenes.

Did anyone else notice that when Sawyer brought Kate the mixed tape, she looked like she was cooling herself and wiping her mouth as though she had been sick -- perhaps foretelling morning sickness?

LJ

why the hell was charlie trecking through the jungle with his guitar? did he want to be prepared in case the group wanted to spontaneously form a boy band? i wish he would spontaneously combust!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments