Holy S**t! Fire on the "Batman" Set

4/24/2007 2:21 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A fire broke out on the roof of a vacant former post office building in Chicago on Tuesday, where a movie crew had been filming scenes for the upcoming Batman sequel "The Dark Knight," starring Christian Bale. At least a dozen ambulances and fire trucks were on the scene (where's a superhero when you need one?!) just south of Chicago's downtown business loop.
Click to return to TMZ.com
The crews had been filming there all week and letters affixed to the side of the old post office read: "Gotham National Bank."

When the fire first broke out, a witness said "We assumed it was part of the movie." Some special efx!

UPDATE: A producer for the film tells TMZ that no actors were in the area at the time. He says that the fire started in an airway duct that is used for a railway underneath the building, the sprinkler system was activated, and the building was evacuated.

whatever

And why is this news??? Who cares. Fires happen everyday. TMZ is really becoming pathetic in it's attempt of reporting "news".

nd

#1, then why do you look at it everyday?

cleveland1

#4, lmao... my stomach hurt's i'm laughung so hard!! now that's funny!!!

Gina

I think that superman started this fire.

Robin

I agree with #3, people keep constantly bitching about the site, yet keep coming back, reading the stories AND commenting. Its a site about celebrities lives, we shouldnt even care AT ALL, but we do :) cause its usually funny news about stupid celebs

Stacy

I am in Chicago and no it was not part of the movie. It was apparently a trash fire in the ventilation system or something like that. I thought the same thing at first. Can you imagine that conversation

Warner Brothers..... excuse me Mayro Daley but we are really sorry we started the building on fire in an attempt to film special effects

Stacy

Warner Brothers..... excuse me Mayor Daley but we are really sorry we started the building on fire in an attempt to film special effects

Marty Columbus OHIO

PARIS HILTON IS AWESOME!

HELLO KRISTIN IN COLUMBUS OHIO!!

Frank

Well of course there were no actors there. Had there been actors then they would have had the presence of Batman. Batman would not stand by and allow this to happen. Secretly (although obviously known now and I will have to go into hiding since I have divulged this secret) contained within Batmans utility belt is a small yet effective HALON system. Once activated he would don his Batmask and watch the HALON put out the fire. No of course the female PA's on the set would be so impressed that they would want him to make Batlove to them. Since he has yet to develop the Batcondom the inevitable would happen. Thats right Batbabies. So without even trying, he would be a hero to both the people on the set as well as the writers since without a drop of ink wasted he would have created the means by which many sequels would be made.
BATASTIC!!!!

Stacy

oops sorry about that, posted twice

whatever

#2 nd....what were you going to post before you read the #1 post??? Something retarded I imagine.

juniper

sounds like the superheroes were already on the scene. EMT's and firefighters works extremely hard :)