Hugh

Popped for Pelting Pap

With Baked Beans

4/26/2007 7:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hugh Grant has reportedly been arrested in London over an allegation that he assaulted a photographer with a family-sized tub of baked beans, among other things, as documented in these photos that TMZ showed you yesterday.

The actor, according to British press reports, allegedly kicked Ian Whittaker three times as Whittaker attempted to photograph him near his west London home. Whittaker alleges Grant then picked up a large carton of baked beans and threw them at the lensman, leaving him "bruised" and "battered" and slathered in the sticky mess.

Whittaker also claims that Grant asked him whether he had kids, and when he answered in the affirmative, said, "I hope they die of f**king cancer." Grant denies having said that.

Police did not confirm that it was Grant, 46, that had been arrested, but did say that a 46-year-old man had been arrested and made bail, and that he would be returning to a police station next month. Charges against the actor are pending.

Sillyme

Too bad Hugh didn't have a potato/tomato popper.. I veg you!! That guy was too close and stalking for a long time. He dared Hugh to retailate and got his answer. I see the papa smiling at gettng Hugh upset.. so where is the fear and suffering he claims was his lot?

Rick

Normally I would say it is wrong to engage in the action HUGH did. BUT it is so past the time for something serious to be done about the paparazzia hanging around. Something is going to happen again like with Princess Diana, then maybe something will be done. But done too late. Even TMZ is part of it.
No wonder there are so many in rehab wiht the press following them night and day.

Linda

we must get more laws to protect our celebrities, etc. our news media stinks, they have no freedom, privacey, etc. when I see what they do to Britney it breaks my heart. truly i would spit in their faces

maureen

I believe we should have laws against the cameras hunting people 24/7. Its sad they lose all rights to live a normal life, its sossooooo not fair. Now that jerky guy with a camera is going to get alot of money for harrassing someone!!!!! Makes no damn sense at all.

Sillyme

Alec you kid is like her mother..? Oh.. shocking it's called genetics. We inherit certain traits from parents.. Luckily she is not a trashy hot head and you would have more problems than Ryan O Neal. So, it could have been worse with another mini-you in female form. Live with this astonishing discovery by becoming a nicer man and appreciate she's a quiet and gentle type that adores her mom, and will not allow you to hurt or harm their mutual agreeable relationship. Apparently nicer females hate you unless your paying, as that's their job, dude.

b

i think it's HILARIOUS!!! and I thought beans were only dangerous AFTER you ate them (ask anyone with a husband).

Laura

Well done Hugh!!!! Should have thrown more than just baked beans though

Gracesmom

I now officially LOVE Hugh Grant. He's my new hero and I wish I could cast a vote for him in something! Thanks Hugh for the biggest laugh I've had in days! If I had your address, I'd mail you a replacement can of beans!!

just me

No wonder the celebs loose their tempers with the photogs. They can't even go to the potty without flashing bulbs!

Anastasia Beaverhausen

Good for Hughie baby! These Paparrazi are parasites. I'd carry a water cannon over my shoulder and zap their cameras!

Freakhater

If he made that remark about cancer, then he's a bigger asshole than I thought!!! NO ONE should say that about a child. Being stalked by the paps is standard issue with the business these cry babies are in, go to work at Wal-Mart if you want privacy!!!!!

jc

there is no excuse for this type of behavior. assult is assult and the remark about the cancer was uncalled for. having lost two family members to cancer, i couldn't imagine ever wishing that pain on anyone else. the press can be your best friend or your worst enemy. choose wisely.

shirliana

WHY SHUD CELEBRITIES GET MORE TREATMENT BECAUSE THEY ARE CELEBRITIES..??. HUGH AND MANY OTHERS NEEDS TO BE LOCKED UP FOR A FEW DAYS FOR ANGER MANAGEMENT CLASSES... BUT TO THROW BEANS WAS NOT NECESSARY...I DO KNOW THAT PAPPARAZZI ARE PAIN IN THE ASSES BUT FROM WHAT I HEARD FROM DEEP SOUCES, THEY MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE LOCATED SOMEWHERE WHERE PAPAPPARIIS CAN SEE THEM AND GET PICTURES TAKEN.
THAT'S THAT.......................THEY GET WHAT THEY GET..... THAT'S THAT.....HOW COME SO MANY OTHER CELEBRITIES (JUST LIKE US) WE ARE ALL CELEBRITIES DO NOT MAKE SUCH A STINK ABOUT PICTURES????????????????????? EXPLAIN

big fat, bald white guy who loves everyone except Paris

I saw him on American Idol last night. It looked like he had been hitting the bottle.

Seriously

Come on Hugh, you wanted to be a celebrity and make the big bucks.
This is part it of Bucko. The paparazzi is all part of the millions of dollars
package you so don't deserve. Get over yourself and deal with it or get the F out
of the business.
I'm so sick of these celebrities whining how they have no privacy. Boo Hoo.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments