TV Science Guru "Mr. Wizard" Dies at 89

6/13/2007 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Don HerbertDon Herbert -- TV's favorite science teacher who taught kids to try everything at home -- died yesterday at 89 in Bell Canyon, Calif.

In the earliest days of TV, Herbert turned the idiot box into a science classroom that every child -- and plenty of adults -- could love and learn from. "Watch Mr. Wizard" ran from 1951 to 1964, but Mr. Wizard lived on well beyond that, through the 1980s, when "Mr. Wizard's World" ran on Nickelodeon. "The show today might seem slow, but it was in-depth and forced you to think along," said Steve Jacobs, a former on-air sidekick, to the AP. Herbert was also one of the first guests on David Letterman's NBC show.

The cause of death was bone cancer, said his son-in-law, Tom Nikosey.

Gatorade Please

God Speed Mr.Wizard.

Duke, Duke, Duke, - Duke of Earl

HEY!!!!! WHERE'S THE TELE-TUBBIES WAVING GOOD-BYE?

Chip

I have always loved you Mr. Wizard and always will !!! Blessings to your family and friends !! x0x0x0x0x0x0

Dottie

RIP Mr. Wizard. Kids today have no clue. You were great.

Whippet Good

I am too young to be familiar with his show, but it sounds like he contributed something positive to the universe. :)
Rest in peace, Mr Wizard.

AC

Damn, I loved that guy :(

RIP, Mister Wizard.

Kristin

Was from my hometown of Waconia, MN. Never met the guy, but sounds like back then he was pretty cool (hey I was born 30 years shy of the 50s).

amy

i used to love watching mr wizard on nickolodeon. he made science accessible to normal people. i was always so jealous of the kids that got to help him do his experiments. thanks for the lessons and rest in peace.

Katie

Mr. Wizard, you will be missed! I remember trying several of the science experiments that they had on the show in the 80's. I watched the show every morning before school. How sad that such a wonderful man has passed on. God bless Mr. Wizard!

Tired and Ready for A Nap

I remember Mr. Wizard! He was a positive influence on children long before there were 98,345 channels to watch and MTV and video games. He made science fun. There will never be another one like him. Condolences to his family. RIP Mr. Wizard.

Haley

I used to watch Mr. Wizard as kid on Nickelodeon. I learned so much from that man. Rest in peace.

Bi-Polar Hippie

This was by far the coolest show I'd watch. Sad to hear about the death, but happy to remember all the episodes that I actually learned stuff from. RIP Mr. Wizard, you were the koolest kat in my book (close tie with "you can't do that on television")

Sean Bresnahan

A little straight reporting becomes you, TMZ. It was very nice of you to acknowledge the passing of an early TV original without the usual "old age", and "body function" jokes attached.

Nance

Good Bye Mr. Wizard... I watched your show many times...RIP

kasey

Mr. Wizard was the man.. Im almost 30 years old and i still remember so much from that show. Still to this day things will come up and i will say no your wrong because i saw that on Mr.Wizard.. Remember the computer segments? Thats has to be about the only thing thats out dated.. Mr. Wizard made me love science, and i absolutly will buy the box set to share with my children.. Mr Wizard you will be missed. =(

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments