Michael Vick

Busted for Illegal Dogfighting

7/17/2007 7:57 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0717_michael_vick_bn_getty-1It's dog days for Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and others, after being indicted today on federal charges related to illegal dogfighting.

Vick was charged with illegal competitive dogfighting, which involves training pit bulls to fight against other dogs. When authorities searched Vick's property this month, they found 54 pit bulls and a host of brutal items including a "rape stand," used to hold dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified for dogs and a bloodied piece of carpeting.

Graves of seven pit bulls were found inside "Bad Newz Kennels," a Virginia property owned by Vick. The dogs were allegedly killed after testing whether they would be good fighters. According to documents, dogfights would end when one dog died or backed down, and dogs were sometimes put to death by drowning, strangulation, hanging, gunshot, electrocution or some other method.

The indictment alleges that Vick and his co-defendants began sponsoring dogfights in early 2001, the former Virginia Tech star's rookie year with the Falcons.

Sunset

Poor little Vick! Picking on him JUST because be is black. Throw out the "black card" as much as you wish, but it ain't working. Never has,never will...so just get over it! This isn't "Vegas Baby! What goes on here,stays here." Keep throwing out the card. WAAAA,WWWAA,WWWAAA! I don't give a crap about the color of his skin,period. IF he and his buddies are found responsible, I hope they rot in prison! Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton must be foaming at the mouth in anticipation of their next 15 minutes on the 6pm news. Pleeeezz, give us a break!!!!! I would be impressed if Jackson and Sharpton went to a shelter and adopted an abandoned pet. Yeah, right. Like that's gonna happen.

Sunset

Vick,you are a piece of crap! Thousands of consumers are DEMANDING that your endorsers,( yeah, that $$$ train you have been riding on) drop your sorry ass! I hope you "lawyer up" with the BEST of the BEST to defend you. That way, they will soak you out of every last cent you have to your name.....and laugh their way to the bank! Cause they don't CARE!! I hope you know how it feels to get ....... just like the dogs got ..... Those creatures are done with their suffering. What goes around,comes around! Don't forget to post your website for us while you are in the joint...' Bend Over' has a nice ring to it.

deej

black, brown, white or purple...

this is not about being black...it's about being a MONSTER!!!!

hang the beast...

later dog.

ahab

I'm NOT A RACIST! LOOK WHAT THE GUY DID TO HIS DOGS! If a white person did it, I would have the absolute EXACT same reaction! OPEN YOUR EYES! And quit posting under a million different nicknames like a coward. We can all tell your style "words here............words there........ more words............. even more words........ i won't shut up about slavery................. god bless." You even had the nerve to post behind one nick and tell everyone to not give up until Vick was behind bars, that's a few pages back. You really have shown your true colors. Not only are YOU the racist here, but you're ultimately a racist coward. Once again, if a white person did this, I'd have the exact same disgusted, "hang 'em high" reaction to it. It's a sick crime, and sick crimes must be dealt with. So take your exceedingly poorly written, hippie, liberal rhetoric, and go bother some people who actually don't mind animal cruelty like you don't mind it. What a sick, sad world. I'm done here. Someone take over trying to smash some sense into him, if it can be done.

AUG

I appreciate that TMZ has a forum to voice opinions but I don't understand why they buried this thread. Now there are too many, imo, about Lohan, Spears, and Hilton.

Nancy Grace is going to have a program about this on Thurs. Someone mentioned that they "got him" it's over so we can move on. But sad to say this case is just the tip of the iceberg. There are things you can do such as going to the PETA and HSHS websites and signing the petitions, joining these organizations to show your support (you don't always have to make a donation but it's nice if you can), show support when you see coverage of these stories, not only this case but when you see it in your local paper or local tv stations. educate the kids, write to congress, and most of all stick with it. The journey to fight animal abuse *has* come a long way but there's still a lot of road to travel.

Jo

Why did TMZ bury this thread?????/

noitall

TO TMZ : PUT THIS THREAD AT THE FRONT OF THE LINE, PLEEEEEEASE !!!!!!

THIS IS SO MUCH MORE VITAL THAN ANY OTHER STORY CURRENTLY RUNNING !!!!!

Shar

Here's another example of the phony "racist" EXCUSE.

Maybe this was Teewalk in a Nordstrom department store that day I was taking advantage of a sale. I was at the counter being checked out by a very courteous sales lady when a black man, also at the counter, began raising his voice to another sales lady. Of course everybody had his attention as he was loudly, demanding to "talk to the manager"!

I looked over to see that he had an opened up Nordstrom gift box set on the counter before him and the sales lady. The garmet in the box was something he was attempting to return without a receipt. Nordstrom does have a policy that it will return/exchange items without a receipt. However, the item in question did not look like a new article of clothing. It truly looked like a well worn, quilted, short waisted jacket that was maybe in fashion 15 years ago. I was thinking to myself that it looked like something that came from a second hand store.

The very polite manager explained to the man that the garmet was not something she recognized as having ever been something that Nordstrom carried. She was sorry, but she could issue him no credit or refund, at which time he began yelling "this is racism!" in her face. He kept yelling this over and over, but she politely stood her ground knowing she was right. She did have someone call security, but when he heard that , he fled.

My take on the whole incident was that the guy was a "street wise druggie" trying to scam a few measley dollars on an old jacket he most likely stole from somebody else.

So when I hear people using "racism" as an excuse for doing wrong and screwing others, my fists clench and my righteous indignation stands at attention and I'm ready to put things right!

I think the "element of criminality" so embraced by black athletes and much of the hip/hop and black culture is on notice. Look at Philadelphia if you don't think there's a problem! Take responsibility for your own weaknesses, Teewalk and the rest of you who defend wrong doing by calling it "racism. STRAP ON A SET OF BALLS ALREADY!!!

Sunset

While watching ESPN Special Report today, I saw several protesters wearing a t-shirt that, IMO, says it all! "Don't VIC-timize abused dogs!" I activated the Tivo freeze-frame and snagged the website where you can buy the shirt. www.secondchangedogs.org (P.S.......... No, I don't work for TIVO, nor do I work for Secondchangedogs) Also, I put my money where my mouth is..I contacted the Falcons, Nike,the NFL and the rep's from the state I live in...this S#### HAS GOT TO STOP!

Jo

Sunset - do you mean http://secondchancedogs.org/ ?

(why did tmz bury this thread???)

AUG

IMO this thread should be put on the first page like it was before.

PETA's wesbsite has a PSA against dogfighting by Lamon Brewster. He's wearing EVERLAST not Nike. Nothing against sports but but I think some of these sports figures need to begin to realize that not all of us consider them to be above reproach and worthy of unquestioning adoration. The public makes them rich from their hard earned dollars then they think they can do whatever they want no matter how cruel and barbaric.

Keep writing to members of congress in support of legislation against animal cruelty, stiffer fines and penalties, etc. They do listen.

fan no more

A letter to Oprah:

Oprah,

I read about the tragedy about your dog. My heart breaks for you and the pain you must feel about the terrible accident.

I'm also a dog lover and last year was fortunate enough to rescue a Boxer. He is the best dog in the world - and no I'm not bias! He has brought so much joy and love into our home. In the short time he has been part of the family, I can't imagine him not being here with us.

I'm confident that you have been following the horrors surrounding the indictment of Michael Vick and his role in the dogfighting.

Regardless of the outcome of the situation, the fact is dogfighting is a reality in this country.

As a fellow animal lover, I implore you to give a voice to the animals as you have to so many other victims who can not speak or fight for themselves!

Victims have come to rely on you Oprah to be their voice. Will you please become a voice for the animals?

Shar

Hey Teewalk, have you seen all the NEGATIVE comments on the other TMZ threads about Paris Hilton? I have posted on those sites dozens of times, about how she should change her stupid, partying ways. Guess what! All the negative comments finally got through to her. At least she's keeping a much lower profile these days.

So tell us, Teewalk, why are we not racists for posting about Paris Hilton, but posting about Michael Vick we are?

At least Paris Hilton didn't torture dogs the way Vick has.
Quit making excuses for him and read my post #938 if you haven't already done so.

I'm glad Nike droped him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And he's not going to play this season!!!!!!!

bert

Michael Vicks had a hundred million dollar NFL contract - but his dog ate it.

Sunset

I see that co-def. TAYLOR is going back to Federal Court on Monday to enter a plea. What a suprise.......NOT! Vick the P####'s house of cards is about to fall, or I should say..Crash and Burn! Thanks to Nike, Reebok, and Donruss Trading cards for listening to us consumers and sports fans. "JUST DO IT!!! AND YOU DID!

Previous 15 Comments | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments