Ving Rhames' Dogs Maul Man to Death

8/3/2007 3:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

LAPD tells TMZ that "Mission Impossible" star Ving Rhames' dogs have mauled and killed a man who worked for the actor.

Cops tell TMZ the victim worked as a caretaker for Rhames, watching over the dogs and his home. The four dogs, including Mastiffs and an English Bulldog, have been taken into custody by Animal Control. When LAPD received the call this morning at 7:15, they say they found a 40-year-old black male on the front lawn, deceased.

Calls to Ving's reps were not immediately returned, and the actor, apparently, is out of the country shooting a movie.
KABC is reporting that the body of the caretaker had bites all over his body. And police tell us they've never gone out to the house for an incident related to the dogs before.

Story developing ...

Previous 15 Comments | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Mastiff Girl

Folks, Mastiffs weren't bred to be vicious, so please quit lumping them in with dogs were were bred for a completely different reason. Our breed (the true Mastiff, as opposed to Filas, Cane Corsos, Bullmastiffs, Tosas, Neopolitan Mastiffs etc.) was bred to be a guardians, not attack dogs. Their bites (or how their teeth and mouth is lined up) isn't made for that. They were originally supposed to hold or grip the "bad guy" until the "good guys" came along. Many Mastiffs today know that dangerous and scary situations exist, and will stand between their loved ones and this situation. Do they go after the situation...no. As a matter of fact, many will herd their loved ones away from a potentially dangerous situation.

There are health problems in any breed that can make a dog turn suddenly, one that comes to mind is a bad thyroid. Others are heart problems, diabetes and epilepsy. Dogs suffer many of the same problems people do, they just don't always get diagnosed...they get labled as viscious or suddenly attacking for no reason. There usually IS a reason, we just aren't astute enough to figure it out.

If indeed these dogs attacked this poor man, chances are they all would have attacked, as they are a pack animal. It doesn't sound as if this happened. There are a lot of people on this site who were quick to blame the dogs, the owners, the breeders. This is a tragedy, and my heart goes out to all involved.

I've raised, shown, and rescued Mastiffs for nearly 10 years. My chilidren grew up with them, I've taken in abused dogs, I've tried to help the breed any way I could. Do I think the breed is perfect? No, but I don't think it deserves being called vicious. It's not a breed for everyone, but it is a breed that is very deserving of the right family who can give it the love and attention it deserves. They are called "Gentle Giants" and for the most part that is what they are.

mark bazz

So sad, most dogs are not breed to be vicious, it's the owners who build this into their little brains. A dog can come from the most vicious dog on the planet, and if socialized right when a puppy, will be a gentle dog. Vicks relatives trained those dogs to fight, Ving didn't train these dogs to fight, they are pets, or were pets once they're put down. But Ving is financialy responsible, to the mans family. People need to educate themselves about dogs . Pit bulls are less aggressive than most other dogs, but account for the majority of deaths because that's what some assanine people train them for. They were originally bred for fighting, but since it's outlawing they are bred as pets. Some dogs get a bad rap due to press and ignorance, look it up.

daisy

i feel sorry for the victom but mastiffs are very gentle dogs are only vicious when owner make them that way. you never now the caretaker might have a heart attack and the dogs only thought would come best but to protect him but they don't know how much harm they did to him they said he helped raise them since they were puppies. i've had 3 rottwielers people thought i was crazy but they were so gentle i would give to also raise mastiffs i am a big dog lover i do feel sorry for the dogs too. their owner needs to come and protect them they are probably sad because they don't know what they did wrong

mernst

a long time has passed since the post but I just read it. Poo poo, that is the most uninformed coment I have ever heard about a Mastiff. You obviously have ZERO exposure to this breed, and absolutely no knowlege of dogs. Its hard for me to read rediculous comments like this. I would love to sit down with you, I love to laugh at how ignorant some people are.

Stephanie

Excuse me......
I believe that those dogs have had to been provoked to attack that man!! So the man had to be doing something harmful to the dogs and they did what their instinct told them to do (protect themselves) I have a Mastiff and he is the most loving dog I have ever owned! Yes, he is protective and territorial but that's his nature. Even though he acts that way, he would never act someone unless he seriously felt he or his family was in danger. Those dogs do not deserve to be euthanized for doing what is their nature......to protect themselves and their owners! I don't even think that it would be Ving's fault, I believe that blame should be put on the man that was mauled, a dog has to be provoked to react like that. Its ridiculous these days that when a human being is attacked by a dog it is automatically the dogs fault. Dogs are not born mean, someone has to basically piss them off and that's exactly what that man did!!!!!! He got what he deserved for being stupid around those dogs!!

Wright

For starters no one knows what happened yet. They took the dogs because it is policy. For all anyone knows the bite marks are not as numerous as being reported. They stated they were non serious. Perhaps the dogs were trying to pull the man to safety because he was having a heart attack! If they were golden retreivers, everyone would be calling them angels.....Bad people create bad dogs- of ANY BREED. These dogs sounded cared for really well.

Since Vick was brought up....it DOESNT MATTER if he had anything to do with the dog problems he is having. He OWNED and LIVED on the property. He has a duty to know what is going on. You cant live in a room in a crack house and say you dont know what is going on. He may not have pulled the trigger but he is just as responsible. To what degree remains to be seen.

Regardless, people who treat animals badly are poor examples of humanity. Makes my skin crawl.

Trinidadian Girl

It has been officially reported that the man died of a heart attack. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the heart attack and then the dogs scratched and bit him trying to wake him. Like the lady who's dog mauled her after she had overdosed on sleeping pills in a suicide attempt. If those dogs had mauled him to death he would have had more than a few scratches and bites. Those were 200lb mastiffs. People crucified those animals before they knew the whole story. shame

Anita

ALL YOU PEOPLE JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS ABOUT THE DOGS, READ THE NEXT STORY ABOUT THIS SITUATION AND IM SURE YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND. THE DOGS DID NOT KILL HIM!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE HOW PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT TO PUT THE BLAME ON AN ANIMAL WHEN WE ARE THE HUMANS THAT ACTUALLY CAN TRAIN ANIMALS TO DO AS WE PLEASE. TELL ME HOW DOES THAT SEEM TO FALL DOWN ON THE DOGS! I HAVE THREE PITBULLS AND THEY CANT HURT A FLY! CHEW ON THAT

Elwoodp

My sister knows the family and I just hope they get some answers soon. My condolences go out to them, and I hope that this incident will not be swept under the rug because the victim is Canadian and Rhames is a movie star.

Presley

shame on you tmz! hopefully you just forgot to add that the autopsy report clearly stated the dog bites were only superficial and not the cause of death! hopefully you didn't intentionally leave that out to further sensationalize!

Previous 15 Comments | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24