Lewis Takes Foot Out of Mouth, Issues Statement

9/4/2007 6:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Alleged comedian Jerry Lewis has issued a statement to CNN, following the public outcry over his use of a gay slur on this weekend's MDA Telethon:

"During the 21-1/2-hour live broadcast of my Telethon for the Muscular Dystrophy Association this weekend, I made a joking comment to a member of my production team. I apologize to anyone who was offended. I obviously made a bad choice of words. Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard. In the family atmosphere of the Telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well. That something like this would distract from the true purpose of the Telethon pains me deeply. The success of the show and all the good that will come from it shouldn't be lost because of one unfortunate word. I accept responsibility for what I said. There are no excuses. I am sorry."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Tdub

He's sorry. How can someone who has dedicated so much of his life to helping people be prejudiced? We've all made poor judgements of wording at one time or another.

We forgive you, Jerry!!!

Cdawg

"public outcry"...yeah right, nobody cares-stop trying to make it a big thing!!!!

Your'e Fired!

He's made more than one "oops" during his Telethon's........He's as mean as they come for someone who is "suppose" to be funny......He was funny in his day, now he's just obnoxious!!!!!!!

Joy

There is a place for you and it is called REHAB

AZ MOMMY

The MDA has been a joke for years. If you are ever in AZ, drive by their headquarters and you will see where a good chuck of money went. Non-profit? And if they are supposed to be, they are not using their funding on 'Jerry's Kids'.

Sarah

I hope he isn't really that sorry....
It's a free world, he can say whatever he wants....
People should stop being so sensitive.....
He is an 80-something year old man.....get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOHNNY CRASH

JERRY IS OLD AND HAS BEEN DOING THE TELETHON FOR A LONG TIME.HE LOVES AND DEVOTES HIMSELF TO THE KIDS.WHEN HE'S GONE WHO WILL STEP UP ?OH LAAAAAAAAAAAAADY!

dugh

Better leave this one alone ,,,he has done great work for kids

I'm Back Biatches

Everyone makes gay jokes from time to time including my gay friends. Who cares....

dugh

And #2 shut up you ass

Richmond Smith

I think he is sorry...a sorry piece of work...he has lost my support for the telethon and my respect for him. I always thought he was a great guy and funny as hell, but as that callous stupid remark, I think he is a piece of crap. What's the old adage about watching what you say because a remark cannot be taken back? Good show fella!

Tangie

"Alleged" comedian? Do nothing but 20 yr. old punks work for TMZ? He paved the way, morons.

I'm Back Biatches

Everyone makes gay jokes...who cares. Jerry has every right to. In his day, people weren't so freakin' sensitive. Some gays talk with lisps and prance like big fairies, while others are the epitome of manhood. So who cares!!! It's no lie.

dugh

Sorry
#2 I ment #7

I'm Back Biatches

Ahh folks i think number two was making a cute joke. Get off them!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments