Britney Tried to Give "More," Audience Wanted Less

9/10/2007 1:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comBritney Spears aimed to bring the house down when she opened the MTV Video Music Awards, but instead she just looked like a house. A little too early for the skimpy outfits, perhaps?

The former Mrs. Federline sleep-walked her way through a critical performance of her new single, "Gimme More," and camera pans to stars like Rihanna, 50 Cent and Diddy showed the crowd wasn't really feeling it. Britney herself didn't look too enthused by the ordeal ... even seeming to forget the lyrics to her own song!

And where was the much-hyped collaboration with Criss Angel? Apparently, that was a disappearing act.

Um, Brit? Your career called ...

krisss

She looked pathetic..looked like she was on a bunch of Loratabs or Oxycodene. She can't even lipsync her own songs-that performance would even be booed off American Idol.

lency

She looked like she was on something. All her moves were robotic like she was counting in her head. PATHETIC!!

lala

I forgot it was on!!

She did good!! Good job britney!! She looked banging

Hop Off

I was so excited to see Britney but that was just awful. AWFUL! She didn't even try. I feel betrayed by her.

jill

she looked awkard, like no effort being put into it... and what was that part where she covered up her mouth in the beginning... did she get the timing wrong for the lipsynching??!!

Cathy

I watched the performance....and I felt terrible for her....she was horrible. Not only was she lipsincing...but she didn't even "know" the words! She's a little too chubby for that outfit..it was just so sad.....I think she flopped big time.....

maryland

OHHH my God what a dissaster...I had to rewind and watch it again because I couldn't believe it...She looked lost, tired, heavy (for her outfit) she was stiff (maybe so her wig would'nt fall of) I'm sorry but Britney could have practice more and done better. I feel really bad for her the audience was so quiet

Davygolieth

What Happened Tonight at the VMA! I am completely in shock at her strange presence. It was nothing like her power performances of the past. This is a sad moment in music history =(

Kimi

Man that was so horrible. She bombed, hard.

angie

I know this sounds lame but I am seriously gonna pray for that poor girl. Something is wrong with her. Thoses closest to her should help her, not just keep on using her. What the hell her freeloading cousin and assistant grabbing all sorts of freebies on her behalf what a bunch of loser skanks they are. It makes me sick.

bjt

Poor girl.... she didn't help her career at all. The girl has issues.

Jennifer Jo

That was awful!!!! THat performance looked like a boring old exercise class!!! Britney was even bored with it. She didn't even lip-sync half the time. Was she on drugs??? If she was a regular girl and not a $700,000 a month SUPERSTAR the extra weight would be OK, but hon if your going to wear just your bra and panties, make sure you have the body for it. Brit Brit, ding dang, you need a trainer and a new costume designer!!!

move over lutfi

That was sad to watch. It almost hurt. I was really hoping for some of her Magic that she had years ago, but it just wasn't there. I love the new song and she looked good, but the performance was horrible.

Colleen

She actually looked like she was in really good shape, but it looked like they taped the dress rehearsal. I think she looked scared through most of the performance.

And could somebody have told the poor girl to comb her weave before she went onstage??

This had such comeback potential, but now it's just another chapter in the sad and way too prolonged downfall of Britney Spears.

Jessa

Thank you Britney for giving tabloids, gossip sites and blogs a good laugh for the next week or so. Or until Paris, Lindsay or Nicole do anything craptacular.