Britney Tried to Give "More," Audience Wanted Less

9/10/2007 1:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Click to return to TMZ.comBritney Spears aimed to bring the house down when she opened the MTV Video Music Awards, but instead she just looked like a house. A little too early for the skimpy outfits, perhaps?

The former Mrs. Federline sleep-walked her way through a critical performance of her new single, "Gimme More," and camera pans to stars like Rihanna, 50 Cent and Diddy showed the crowd wasn't really feeling it. Britney herself didn't look too enthused by the ordeal ... even seeming to forget the lyrics to her own song!

And where was the much-hyped collaboration with Criss Angel? Apparently, that was a disappearing act.

Um, Brit? Your career called ...

Brit

WELL I SEEN THE BIG BRIT DEBUT AND I AM SOOOO DISAPPOINTED I HAVE WATCHED HER SINCE HER BABY ONE MORE TIME DAYS AND WE ALL KNEW SHE WENT DOWNHILL WELL I THOUGHT THIS WAS HER CHANCE FOR EVERYONE TO FALL IN LOVE WITH THE BRIT WE USED TO KNOW SHE WAS THE ONLY REASON I WAS GOING TO WATCH THE SHOW IT WAS A WASTE OF TIME SHE DIDNT EVEN CARE YOU CAN TELL SHE DIDNT WANT TO BE THERE AND THAT SUCKS I DONT THINK I WILL EVER SUPPORT HER AGAIN BY BUYING CD'S OR ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER SHE LET HER FANS DOWN ALL SHE HAD TO DO WAS LOOK LIKE SHE WANTED TO BE THERE SHE OBVIOUSLY ONLY CARES ABOUT HERSELF I JUST DIDNT WANT TO BELIEVE IT ABOUT SOMEONE I LOOKED UP TO SO MUCH

hang it up

I knew she would blow it .... it was sorry!. she needs to get a real life and be the best mother that she can be she is wealthy enough not to ever work again in her or her great grand kids lifetimes.

Boobookitty

Wow I made sure I watched her performance cause I thought it would be awesomne but it SUCKED. Was she asleep? Maybe she shouldnt have been up drinking al night.

for real

I just finished watching Britney's performance on TV. We all know that she is very talented. Tonight, something was missing. It's called confidence. She wasn't confindent. She used to go out and comand the show. Maybe all of the bull in her life and all of the rude and ignorant comments made about her, finally beat her down. She looked like a child in her school recital. It is really ashame you TMZ and all of the other media outlets, have taken this girls spirit from her. Along with her "bloodsuckin" husband ya'll. Why don't you be kind and leave her alone!!!

Candy Cane

Pack up your bags, Britney. You're done.

Cindy

Damn. I was really looking forward to a comeback performance. I feel so bad.

James

She looked good physically (plastic surgery perhaps?), but where was the energy?

Jen

How the hell do people call her fat? She looked great, especially considering she has 2 little kids. She seemed a little nervous but with all the pressure being put on her by the media, people on sites like this etc, who wouldn't be. I love the new song, and hope she continues to do well.

Jane H

Awful.

maryann

I thought her body was fine. The preformance lacked alot. She looked like she was either tired or just not into it. It will be the talk tomorrow :( Sorry hunny

Leslie A Skarbek

really sad....agreed, she totally looked like she was sleepwalking through it. I just do not understand how this lip synching crap is supposed to be "talent". She's like a high school talent show act. I love how it opened with a shot of the back of head, showing the hideous weave. She is just really really sad....

lynnzie

Okay, Britney was totally on something, in an unflattering outfit nekkid and incapable of even pretending to move her lips lipsynching but I thought Sarah Silverman's monologue was in extremely poor taste. I mean Brit is the opening act and you diss her first thing? Calling Brit's kids 2 "mistakes" was just not-funny. People in the audience were totally uncomfortable. I lost a lot for her as a comediene after seeing this.

MONICA

Chris Brown should have opened............. So SAD.

Laurie C.

That was embarrassing...so much for the Big Come Back! WAKE UP, Britney--not only is your performance over, but so is your career!

Lisa

One would hope that someone in her circle would have had the balls to tell her not to do it!! It was the worst...set a HORRIBLE tone for the rest of the real performers!!!! Anyone can lip sych and walk around unsteadily...her back up dancers rocked though, for what its worth!