Chef Mario Not Molto Mobile

9/18/2007 4:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

As a chef, Mario Batali is known for restaurants like Babbo and Mozza and his prodigious talent, energy, brio -- and belly. As a quarterback, Mario is known ... well, mainly for his belly.

The Croc-clad culinary cad was out -- if not so about -- in New York's West Village, tossing around a football with some local kids, whose relative size made Mario look like the Jolly Tangerine-Dusty Rose Giant. With his paunch playing offensive line, Batali did his best to engage the youngsters -- as long as the ball was thrown right to him.

rachel

God, this guy is still alive? I feel so old!! ouch.
Like a million years ago....

Scoreboard44

Aw Geez, I like Mario. I gotta gut too. The guys just messing around with some kids, not trying out for the New York Football Giants. Leave 'em alone. He's a great chef.

ZZZZZZZ

Leave the guy alone. He's just playin. Cant do anything now adays without someone poking fun or critazing someone else.

Sheeesh

NYC

EWWW....crock's are so damn ugly !!. But I like mario.

TJ

Are you kidding me?? "Critazing"?!?!?! That's not even misspelled PHONETICALLY!

Spring-Heeled Jack

I didn't know Mario was a flamer! Crocs are sooooo gay and ugly.

Left Coaster

so what? The man could cook for me anytime. Who trusts a skinny chef anyway...

What's this?

LEAVE CHEF MARIO ALONE!!! Just leave him alone!!! BooooooHooooooo

Oh Wait - wrong person......

At least he took time out to play ball with some kids - can't believe TMZ would trash on him for that! Try looking to the positive of someone for once - overgrown bellies are quite common on some people.

And if you pick on him again, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO GO THROUGH ME!!!
LOL

JUJUBEE

Mario has an exceptional talent. He's doing something "good' out there with the kids. let's reward admirable behavior with kudos to encourage rather than insults to inhibit. MOST people and kids are overweight. We should worry about ourselves before we try to fix someone else. i rejoice in his uniqueness and his genius.

Grandpapopo

Dude...stop wearing the Crocs!

Other then that I love to watch his shows...and once ate at one of his restaurants in NY.

oxyclean

How did he get so... enormous?

i like mario

First Mario is one of the few talents on the Food Network--he actually shows you classic food techniques like Julia Child and the old school foodies--this unlike RR or the other clowns. Second he is enjoyable to watch while he does this. Lastly his restaurants are good. As for the kids he is playing with they may well be his children as friends have often told me they see him playing basketball with them in lower manahattan. You ought to get things straight.

rickedmonds

Hey ease up on the Crocs - if you ever wear them you'll know how comfy they are (regardless of how they look). Unfortunately some kids are feeding them to escalators and giving them a bad name. --- Mario - I wish he'd do a new cooking show! That kinda, sorta, almost homemade lady that redecorates her show's set for every taping should be stuffed, baked and served with a nice smooth creme sauce. YUM, that would be good eats...

Mrs. Watkins

I love Mario's outfits! And his recipes are simply delish!

Go Mario! Keep on keeping on!

Boo

Ease up on Mario. He's a great chef, always fun to watch, and I think he's a hunk. I think it stinks that you guys find a celebrity that is doing a positive thing and trash him for it.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments