Ellen DeGeneres' Doggone Nightmare

10/15/2007 9:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Talk show queen Ellen DeGeneres is caught in the middle of a doggy tug of war that has left an innocent girl in tears.

Ellen and her girlfriend, Portia de Rossi, adopted Iggy (a Brussels Griffon mix) from Mutts and Moms, a dog adoption agency. But things didn't work out as Ellen planned -- her cats didn't get along with Iggy -- so she gave the pooch to her hairdresser, who has two kids, including 12-year-old Ruby.

Last night, a rep from the agency came to the hairdresser's home, claiming Ellen violated the contract by not informing the agency of the hand-off. The rep demanded to take the dog away. Ellen' s position -- yeah, she should have notified the agency, but she found a loving home and isn't that what counts? The agency rep stuck to her guns and removed the dog with cops present. Ruby is heartbroken; reduced to tears.

Ellen says, "I kept saying, 'If you want to be mad at me, be mad at me, but don't take it out on the family. Don't take it out on the dog.'"

spiderwoman

Totally wrong, I doubt very much Ellen would have given the dog to a bad home I am sure she knows her hair dresser real well. They could have all worked together to correct this situation before cops got involved and a poor little girl had her heart broken. I am sending Mutts and Moms rep an email telling them what I think of this. Her email pawboutique@yahoo.com

Aspen

Way to throw the baby out with the bath water! We have adopted several pets, and I am familiar with the clause that states you must get permission before giving the animal away (in other words, if it doesn't work out, then give the animal back) but this is done to protect the animal and rather than enforcing the contract to the letter, why not understand the spirit of what Ellen did? She found a great home for the dog.

Way to go adoption agency! Pull the dog out of a loving home. Someone needs to muzzle the control freak, not the dog or Ellen!

madvi

Mutts & Moms can be reached at this email address for comments.... pawboutique@yahoo.com

KillerKitten12

Ellen adopted the dog and in adoption, even human adoption, once a parent has been approved tthat person's judgement is given some credit.
Surely Ellen would not give the blasted dog to Michael Vick!
Why the HELL should she be forced to have this damned animal adoption agency 'round her neck til crack of doom if she's already adopted the dog?
Once the adoption is final, the adoption should be FINAL.
As to following rules, any idiot, or nazi can make a rule...slave owners did it for years, that doesn't mean that the fool things should be followed. These animal shelters that are more about proving their moral superiority amaze me...with all the freaking unwanted pets out there they are so damned invested in their "authority" that they'd rather see the dog taken from a loving home than simply give Ellen credit for being able to look out for the dog's welfare as much as they can!!!!!
Lovely, people. I'm sure they'll let the girl's family apply to them to adopt the dog, as long as they pay the requisite fee---but of course.
Otherwise, it's back into a cage for Fido.

Sharona

Some things just suck !!!! Isn't this carrying things a little far?

cj

Well, miss mia- I am actually a very big hearted mother who loves animals very much! And I feel that Ellen is a very good judge of character who also loves and adores animals as much as anybody else. I can't imagine my child falling in love with a dog and then having it taken away. My heart goes out to the family who thought they had a new member.

Get a Clue

I'll take the dog.

Michellr

I had a friend who adopted a cat at a shelter in the county. The cat (kitten) died a few days later and they took her to court for not showing proof she had the cat fixed. She couldn't manage to find a person with a brain at the shelter to understand the cat DIED. She eventually had to dig up the corpse of the cat to PROVE the cat died. File under the "Are you kidding me" file, but I kid you not.

Char

Yes, Ellen did break the contract. My thought is how is the world could the agency just take a dog away. Owners get attached to their dog just as much as the dog gets attached to the owner. If I have someone take care of my dog for a few days my dog isn't the happiest puppy in the world until I come back to him. I would think that the agency would know that the dog does get attached to the owners and not take the dog away without a better reason than breaking a contract. I do understand that a contract is not breakable, but I would really like to know the reason behind why this is such a big problem that the agency had to come take the dog away. The only thing I can think of the reason for the contract is for people that abuse animals.

Dan

Just another one of these animal "idiots" not caring about humans. And in this case, a little girl.

go outside sometimes

I don't believe it, my tax dollars were used to bring POLICE to the house? My God! Arrest the 12 year old! For adopting and giving a loving home to a dog who would have been euthanized. Put her in jail with Charles manson and throw away the key!
I have rescue dogs, and some of these people are so pathetic. In fact, once, they came to inspect my home to place a dog who was crippled and blind, and they OPENED MY REFRIGERATOR! Like a lame, blind 12 pound pug can open up my fridge? (And as if so many other people would line up to give an old, lame, blind dog a loving home?) Seriously, what idiots.

Dan

Ellen should buy the kid a new dog and tell Mutts and Mom to shove it up their a...

Matt Damon

Matt Damon

OMG

I totally agree #6..er NOODLES....
The whole point is to get the Dogs/cats..er whatever a loving home..So whats the big DING DONG idea?
Check the family out..and if everythings Cool..let it be...They should have done all that before it hit the NEWS....

ONLY if something was wrong..like they are animal killers..er something..Then Take the pet away..THEN..put it in the NEWS...
THIS IS AN OUT RAGE!!
poor dog..poor little girl...poor Family...and I feel bad for Ellen too...If the Dog didnt fit in with her family..then What was she supposed to do..GIVE IT BACK?....Now thats heartbreaking!!...They have such stupid rules if you ask me...too strict....I see the point to check if the family is Loving & normal and All..But..DAMN....I read the rules..& they go on & On &ON &ON...
Peace Out

Terese

It is as usual, a celebrity thing. They think they do not have to follow the rules. I feel bad for the girl due to Ellen's "who cares" attitude. I have adopted pets and the contracts say if you cannot keep it, you are to return it or notify them so they can approve of the person you want to give it to, for the protection of the animal and themselves. But, again, oh, hey I am who I am so I do not have to think about what I promised in writing I would do. Bad move Ellen.