Ellen DeGeneres' Doggone Nightmare

10/15/2007 9:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Talk show queen Ellen DeGeneres is caught in the middle of a doggy tug of war that has left an innocent girl in tears.

Ellen and her girlfriend, Portia de Rossi, adopted Iggy (a Brussels Griffon mix) from Mutts and Moms, a dog adoption agency. But things didn't work out as Ellen planned -- her cats didn't get along with Iggy -- so she gave the pooch to her hairdresser, who has two kids, including 12-year-old Ruby.

Last night, a rep from the agency came to the hairdresser's home, claiming Ellen violated the contract by not informing the agency of the hand-off. The rep demanded to take the dog away. Ellen' s position -- yeah, she should have notified the agency, but she found a loving home and isn't that what counts? The agency rep stuck to her guns and removed the dog with cops present. Ruby is heartbroken; reduced to tears.

Ellen says, "I kept saying, 'If you want to be mad at me, be mad at me, but don't take it out on the family. Don't take it out on the dog.'"

Zookeeper Laura

Oh my goodness - let's bend all the rules and throw them out the window because Ellen is Ellen???? I don't THINK so.......let her play by the rules like EVERYONE else in this world....if you break them, you have to live with the consequences of your actions. The little girl is heartbroken because ELLEN broke the adoption contract - NOT because of the rescue organization. I SALUTE MOMS AND MUTTS for standing firm on this one....

nevpat

The little girl should be the only one crying! This is what happens when you value animals too much!

Robert Moon

If this is what Ellen considers to be "terribly wrong" in her life then she must have it pretty easy. Ellen should have followed the rules and this wouldn't have happened. It's sad that the little girl lost her dog but Ellen should have gotten permission first. The rescue agency has the dogs best interest at heart.

Sadies Mom

O.K contract nutcases it is really time to knock some sense into your pointy heads. There are too many dogs and cats in this world full stop. Millions of dogs and cats are being put to death a year because of irresponsible people not spaying or neutering. So here comes Ellen. Puts money and a heart down for a homeless pet. These greedy idiots have created a contract, not out of "the love in their hearts" but the lust in their pockets. Contract states, we must have mutt back if you can not keep it. Greedy kennel gets second bunch of dough on second adoption. I have seen this many times in my life. So has my Veterinarian daughter. Mutts and Moms are a crooked bunch of deranged loony tunes (tis California you know) that would sell break their own 12 year olds heart for a buck. No common sense or sense of decency=no sense

Sadies Mom

Number 203........Its a dog......dog needs home......Rich lady plops down 600.00 smackers.....Instead of being grateful for a substantial donation, dummy kidnaps happy pup over a rediculous technicality. I repeat......Its a dog, not a human being from an orphanage. Oops, I forgot. California is bizarro world....pets are children, children are pets....my bad. No transfer......what a crock. Never would hold up in court outside of California.

sparkie

I do dog and cat rescue and you can't imagine how difficult it is to find good and loving homes. Ellen did nothing wrong, and I am appald that mutts and moms would not let the family keep the dog. People might think twice beofre donating money to their organization. I know I will. Giving Iggi back is the thing to do. Just think of all the wasted time mutts and moms has spent regarding Iggi, all that time could have been used in taking care of other animals. Sometimes rules are made to be broken. Sparkie

Sheila

Ellen signed a contract(period). Animal rescue organizations are a sign of the times and have the best interest of the animals. Ellen's act on TV was ridiculous,I guess her ratings are dropping, imagine that. She had no right to give that dog to anyone, I have 3 dogs and 3 cats and everyone eventually co-exist, get a damn life Ellen. This is a good lesson for those 2 children, pets are not property, god forbid she were to adopt a child.

bikerpam

So give the child the money to go and readopt the pup. All the agency wants is the money anyway!
AND, Ellen.....make an effort to check out who you do dealings with in the future.
Message to the person who said it costs $30.00 to adopt an animal hasn't been to the ASPCA lately! Depending on the site and city; can cost up in the $250.00 range!
As a child, I had my heart broken many times over by adults. And yes it involved animals. But I got over it with time.
Ellen, go buy the little lady another, get her the same breed and buy from a reptable breeder, check out the dog with a vet to make sure it's healthy. DON"T sign any contracts and I promise she will fall in love and the pain won't be so bad. Whats done is done. She will never forget the dog, but don't let this have an effect on your friendship with her.
OR: Take her to court for animal abuse!

Barbara

Get a grip people .... Isn't the botom line ... "Save the poor dog, Iggy and give him a good home" That's what happen, That's what this is all about.....so what's the big deal. A piece of paper is for his safety and there are always exceptions to the rule....this is a contract not a law... he was not put in any harm's way until the stupid M&M people stepped in and forced the poor dog to go thru more trama, as if he hadn't been thru hell already.... I don't see that they are doing any better than what they are requiring. Ellen signed a paper to give him a good home and she did. She took him out of her home because the little guy didn't get along with her cats and she made a very sound decision to give him to a better place to live so he could be happy.... what's the crime in that??!?!?! M&M are putting him thru hell again.... he had a happy home and now his stuck with all those idiots at M&M that really don't know what they are doing! Isn't it all about helping the little fella??? This is rediculous!!! God bless Ellen for trying to help out.... she did everything possible to make it work and it did work until M&M stepped in and is now making everyone involved miserable.. M&M is just a group of idiots using poor innocent animals to make money!!!!! They are the ones that should be banned from all animals.

foxnhound

This shelter cares more about bureaucracy then it does dogs. Get out of the shelter business "mutts and moms" it' not for you! Since you like paperwork so much go work for the government.

animallover

I am a lifetime member of the Humane Society in our county. I have seen what people do to animals and it is horrendous!! Ellen is a fine, decent person . She could have done like so many idiots and dumped the dog someplace but she chose to give it to a good home. It is so hard to find good homes for these poor animals and as for the contract...........STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheila

"Sadies Mom" you are an honest-to-God moron. I think Mutts and Moms need to sue you for your statement, I bet you'r a stinking liberal. Shelters and agencys are taking care of other peoples poor choices, an animal's worst enemy is a person like you and other mindless humans.

lilpat

Ellen has stated she messed up, she did by adopting from those control freaks... The main thing is these little girls dog was taken away. Ms Batkis threatened to call lawyers, media and she called police, the woman is out of control and the story she put on Page Six has back fired on her. Who want to adopt from a woman who can swoop in at anytime and take your dog. She has put dog adoption back ten years. If she had a heart she would give Iggy back. Please the woman doesn't work for free she is getting paid a pretty penny threw her dog boutique.

Sadies Mom

Sheila, what a wonderful assumption you make. But your assumption makes an a** ou of you and me. I am a liberal and an animal/hater abuser? Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrong on both accounts. I have one rescue Golden Retriever, one rescued Wheaten Terrier mix abandoned in front of a convenience store mid winter in Georgia, and one road dog of mixed heritage rescued from the side of a country road by me, the lib animal hater when she was 8.5 weeks. Two 16 year old cats that just passed buried in the family pet cemetary and one remaining ferrel kitten that was raised by the old lovable eunichs. She was their princess.

Now for the truth....I think Ellen is really a funny and talented woman. I hate her sin, but not her. I believe this contract crap was just that, crap. Just follow the yellow brick road (exorbitant money trail) of who did what and when in this case and the guilty party will slap you in the face. I will leave that up to you since you are so good at deductive reasoning. Case in point at your last post, number 761. Lets see who the moron really is. The child is a child and should have never been put through the horror of having her pet yanked from her hands. There should be recompense for her grief no matter what you think of Ellen or the sequence of events.

Sadies Mom

By the way sheila, I am not the first one that mentioned the money thing. Several posts back there have been others like me that were astute enough that she pocketed 600.00 and then put the pooch back up for adoption. Thats a fact...can't be sued on the truth can I? And you must be the lib sweetie if you are so sue happy for someone exercising their right of free speech based on facts that are obvious in the story. Greed is all over this thing like pimples on a teenager.

Previous 15 Comments | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments