Ellen Breaks Down on Her Show

10/16/2007 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The usually upbeat Ellen DeGeneres was anything but on today's episode of her show -- stopping her opening monologue to give a passionate, tear-filled speech about her recent dog troubles.

After walking on to the usual applause, Ellen quieted the audience and explained that, "Today is a hard day for me ... I am not capable of coming out and pretending to be funny when things are going so terribly wrong right now."

Wiping tears from her eyes, Ellen went on to talk about her ongoing battle with a dog rescue group that took back a dog Ellen adopted after discovering the talk show hostess had given it to her hairdresser.

Tonight's TMZ TV has all the latest on the developing story. Watch today's episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" to see the rest of her passionate plea.

Capt. Clean

Listen, I do not watch daytime TV as I work, and do not consider myself a fan for that reason. I don't know her or her work. What I observed was a human being being very authentic. I applaud her for that. The majority of so called stars and average people are much more concerned with looking good in front of others and receiving approval. I have to say, Ellen has earned my respect by allowing herself to be genuine. Those who may bash her are doing nothing more than making themselves right.
Here's an exercise for bashers to perform: Go outside at night and shout your vile opinions up at the stars. If they move, let me know.

Kelly

I would probably do the same; people forget Celebrities are people too. They have feelings. So what? She broke down on TV. I respect her for it actually.

ME

A lot of dogs come from abused homes who are at these rescue shelters. The people they're going to have to be researched so they don't go back to the same kind of family. You're not supposed to want to give them away. HELLO? Damn right the rescue shelter was mad!

idle curiosity

Sure wish Mutts and Moms would go snatch Britney's poor dogs. Whatever happened to all of THEM? Were they ever rescued or just thrown away for a newer, smaller, cuter puppy for her to have sit on her lap.

JP

Typical, urban-dwelling, metrosexual, homosexual, and liberal types to be so concerned with the welfare of their precious pets, whom they treat better than they would a homeless person on the street. These types lecture and preach on animal rights, treat their precious pets like children, while at the same time denigrating the working class who strive to raise families and have children as "adding more consumers to the environment." I would bet you anything that these condascending types spend 10 times more on their precious pets than they give to people in need on the street. Hypocrites. Who cares about your stupid DOG Ellen? How many tears have you shed for need AMERICAN children in the last year?

R.Zimmerman

I guess she didn't really care about the dog that much or she wouldn't have given it away in the first place. You'd think she's just lost custody of the November centerfold.

Jeff Voorhees

What a bunch of cold bitches - what we should be doing is bombarding mutts and moms with emails and calls telling them that they are on "Volunteer Out of Control
Steroids. Give me a break, call the cops to take a dog away from the little girl. Wheres the common sense. Please find me the phone number or email address

Only swim in the Ocean

Come on Ellen, quit crying like a poor women who lost her dog and be a man. She does play the man in that relationship doesn't she? If not, go home to your man. I am confused.

BuddyandJet

It's taken almost a year for my two rescued dogs to get along with my cats. I have been frustrated that it has taken so long. We even worked with a trainer and I thought the situation would be better right away. I work at home so I am able to supervise and I put up with dogs being in one room and the cats in another. And now a year later they can all be in the same room and tolerate each. The rescue group was being too "by the book". They should have been flexible and let the dog stay in the new home until they checked them out. This could have worked out nicely. A win win situation for all. Ellen meant no harm. I understand how it disrupts a home when animals don't get along. I did stick it out with my animals but it caused stress for my family. I don't fault Ellen for giving up her pooch. Ellen's an animal lover. She's no Michael Vick! I do fault the rescue group- lighten up- Ellen made a mistake- now check out the hairdressers family and give the kids the dog!

oh brother

ohhh RE-FRIGGEN-LAX!!!! Get the damn girl another damn dog! It's not like she had it for years!!!!!

Instead of crying over this crap (for ratings), why don't you publicly cry over the starving people in 3rd world countries who go days and days on only a can of beans.

San

Ugggghhhhhhhhhh!!! Dog Nazis!

ME

Anyone want a dog I just adopted to be mine from a shelter? Oh, my hairdresser does. She cuts my hair in my favorite butch style. Here's your dog!

Tangie

Leela--you are one stupid bitch.

TMZ SUCKS

This is why I refuse to adopt through adoption agencies. I will go to a breeder or the shelter first. These people act like NAZIs.

Fine, there was a contract - TAKING THE POLICE to a CHILD's HOME and forcibly removing the pet. That pet was in NO danger. The police should be in trouble for participating and that agency should be shut down. That poor child is no criminal.

beefcake

I agree. Leela you are not very intelligent. They shouldn't even allow you to post. Stupid skank