Drew Carey's Got the Right "Price" for Pot

11/3/2007 3:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Forget controlling the pet population, new "Price Is Right" host Drew Carey has his own cause -- medical marijuana. Come on down!

The funnyman teamed up with Reason.tv to take a look at the trendy area of Brentwood, Calif. to show how someone can find a place to buy an alcoholic or heavily-caffeinated beverage on nearly every corner -- while the federal government is cracking down on something that can treat the effects of cancer, glaucoma, HIV-AIDS, chronic pain and nausea. Let's see a mocha frappuccino do that!

Carey is hoping the government will reclassify medical marijuana so that those who need it can get it. Maybe he should just give an ounce away in the Showcase Showdown!

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

mike

legalize it... and to the person that posted saying that all we wanted to do is get high... and that there is a pill that will take the pain away without getting you high... number one: show me a pain pill that doesn't give you some sort of "buzz".. and two: yea they probably do have a pill for pain, but what other side effects do they cause ? Don't be so narrow minded to think that all pot smokers just want to "get high".

If it helps people with certain diseases, then let it be, it's a weed !!! A WEED !!!

legalize it...

DREW CAREY FOR PRESIDENT 2012

Marlb Man

Your cool mike---wanna burn one?

Kevin

If someone could explain to me how we talk about these issues when you’re Government (Gov) doesn’t even have to take a piss test but the have a say in this matter. Hmmmm!! Who is doing what drug? I’m just glad our soldiers are fighting to keep this country free because our Gov has its own laws for themselves.

Side note,
You can’t disagree with the USA having the best soldiers!! They just get held back from the Gov.

Our fore fathers didn’t want this for our country; they wanted all to be equal. You want to see some change in this country? Put a third Party in as Pres. My bad, Keep voting for the demarcates or republicans. I think our Gov doesn’t really care what you want. They only let drunk driver kill 6,000 people per year. Why would you want to give these people a second choice to get High.

How come those who defend our country have to take a lie detector test but our justice system doesn’t or our Gov. They only make the Laws. You wonder who is selling our secretes.

Thanks for standing up Drew. If you do run for present don’t go demarcate or republican.

Thanks again

Marlb Man

Right on Kev!!! Wanna burn one with me and mike and star? She is one cool chick! star i mean! Weed RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Star

Weedman.... I know you like looking like an idiot obviously, but cant you at least say something worth reading

Marlb Man

I really cant Star Star!! Im always too high from the"Painkiller" that i am on!! Catch ya on the flip flop, Starby!

LegalizeIt

Let's see; I was minding my own business, in the prime of my life (36), working my 12 hour shifts in Neuro when I first got sick. I am taking 14 meds and am very tempted to post the side effects from each; but I won't. Everyone who has every taken any med knows the page or pages of side effects. Marijuana can take care of the nausea, vomiting and pain, but because it is not manufactured by a drug company, I am a criminal if I use it or gosh, I guess I just want to get high?

I think alot of people may be like I am, if you are truly sick. WE are not out running the roads, why? because we are actually sick. The idea that there would be more accidents is ludicrous. I am or have been on morphine, percocet, hydrocodone, etc., if I have taken any of these meds, although I have a prescription, I don't drive. Just because people are sick, does not make them irresponsible.

Although, I live in a state where medical marijuana is illegal, I wish there would be a comprehensive study, just like any other drug and if it passes their tests market it.

Of course there will be people that get it that aren't sick, just like they do with narcotics, but my quality of life should not be affected, because of all the abusers, whether it be narcotics or alcohol.

For every study or article someone posts against it, I can also get on the internet and find one for it.

Here is just one:
GOVERNMENT STUDY OF MARIJUANA SEES MEDICAL BENEFIT

By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG
Published: March 18, 1999

The active ingredients in marijuana appear to be useful for treating pain, nausea and the severe weight loss associated with AIDS, according to a new study commissioned by the Government that is inflaming the contentious debate over whether doctors should be permitted to prescribe the drug.

The report, the most comprehensive analysis to date of the medical literature about marijuana, said there was no evidence that giving the drug to sick people would increase illicit use in the general population. Nor is marijuana a ''gateway drug'' that prompts patients to use harder drugs like cocaine and heroin, the study said.

The authors of the study, a panel of 11 independent experts at the Institute of Medicine, a branch of the National Academy of Sciences, cautioned that the benefits of smoking marijuana were limited because the smoke itself was so toxic. Yet at the same time, they recommended that the drug be given, on a short-term basis under close supervision, to patients who did not respond to other therapies.

The release of the delicately worded report, at a morning news conference here, prompted a flurry of political maneuvering. Proponents of state initiatives to legalize marijuana for medical purposes seized upon the findings as long-awaited evidence that it had therapeutic value. They called on the Clinton Administration, and in particular Gen. Barry R. McCaffrey, director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, which requested the study, to ease its steadfast opposition to the initiatives.

''This report has proved McCaffrey wrong,'' said Chuck Thomas, a spokesman for the Marijuana Policy Project, a nonprofit organization in Washington that lobbies for the legalization of medical marijuana. ''We never said marijuana was a panacea and a be-all or end-all. What we have said is there are some patients who don't respond to existing medications, and this report confirms that.''

But the study is unlikely to change the Administration's position. The Department of Health and Human Services, which is already financing some research involving medical marijuana, issued a written statement noting simply that it would continue to finance the work. And General McCaffrey, speaking in a telephone interview from Los Angeles, said, ''This study seems to suggest that there is little future in smoked marijuana.''

General McCaffrey politely praised the analysis as a ''superb piece of work'' and said he would take the recommendations under advisement. But he said there was ''enormous confusion in law enforcement'' about how to handle the issue, and added, ''We've got people with mischievous agendas at work.''

While the study's authors said they had been surprised to discover ''an explosion of new scientific knowledge about how the active components of marijuana affect the body,'' they added pointedly that the future of marijuana as a medicine did not lie in smoking it. Marijuana smoke, they said, is even more toxic than tobacco smoke, and can cause cancer, lung damage and complications during pregnancy.

The true benefits of marijuana, the experts said, would only be realized when alternative methods, like capsules, patches and bronchial inhalers, were developed to deliver its active components, called cannabinoids, to the body without the harmful effects of smoke.

So far there is only one cannabinoid-ba

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12