Kanye Issues Statement

11/13/2007 12:25 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rapper Kanye West issued the following statement Monday night:

"Kanye West, his family and friends would like to thank everyone for the outpouring of support and kind words that have come in from across the country since the death of his mother, Dr. Donda West.

After working in higher education for 31 years, Dr. Donda West and Kanye West co-founded the Kanye West Foundation with the mission of helping to combat the severe dropout problem in high schools across the country.

The first and signature initiative of the Kanye West Foundation is Loop Dreams. Designed to capitalize on students existing interest in hip-hop, Loop Dreams challenges students to learn more about what's behind hip-hop culture in order to help them develop skills, express themselves creatively and be empowered.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made in Dr. West's name to the Kanye West Foundation/Loop Dreams Teacher Training Institute."

satinne

i wish the bet in lie kanyei dt kow how it feels to lose a mother but i know that it has t be hard for you nd js keep your head up.

Mary

FIRST!!!!

I would like to express my condolences to the family of Dr. Dondra West. My prayers go out to them in this time of need.

milan

thank you tmz for this link..my prayers are with you kanye and fmaily...my heart aches for his loss...god bless you.

JessBcuz

My prayers are with you Kanye!!!!!! Extremely sorry for your loss!!!

Andre

It's sad what happened to his mother, but knowing Kayne's egotistical behavior and how he plays the race card every chance he feels mistreated....
(Remember the Katrina disaster? It was the poor, not the African-Americans that were mistreated.
And the whole VMA 2007 incident? Britney has been far more successful [90 million+ records sold, and popular since Nov. 1998] than Kayne has, so that's why she opened. Sorry Kayne, its not a racist thing!)

Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if he says, "Doctors don't care about black people."

Jackie

We pray for the entire West family. Remember that your loved one will be with you always as you carry out the vision she had developed and you honor her life's work. Know that you are surrounded by a love circle or friends.

Christine Economos

I am very sorry for the loss of Kayne's Mother. God needed another educator in heaven.
To Andre who posted such a thing, shame on you. The surgeon was an African-American Physician. Your comments should be removed from this page.

FABIO

We don't care, Kanye...

Jerry Girl

NOT FIIIIIIIIIRRRRSSSSSSSTTTTT ...

No, I love the first thing ... but this is very sad for this young man.

Karin Fein

Random

The last 2 comments (reggie and andre) are totally insensitive and really demonstrate ignorance about compassion and humankind. When someone loses a parent, it should not be an opportunity for you losers to say such mean and terrible things. Kanye, all decent human beings are sending prayers to you and your family at this time, and we are all sorry for your loss. Losing a mother is a difficult thing, So sorry....

godzfavor

U know what............this is rediculous. I never post on these websites but I had to this particuar time. This is reference to the comment posted by Reggie......How could u be so insensitive and mean to say what u said. No matter how he acts or the things that he has said that was his mother and we only get one. It would seem to me that any person with a heart wouldnt even think such things at a time like this. It amazes me how ppl have no respect or concern for their fellow man.....Its a shame. Please know that karma is very real and u reap what u sow. So if u sow unkindness, hatred, and evil that is exactly what u'll get back. My thoughts and prayers are with Kanye and his family. When i heard about this tragedy I cried bc my mom and I are so close I could only imagine how he feels. But God Almighty is a comforter and so many ppl are praying for Kanye and his family he'll make it through this very tough time. Oh and Andre you should be ashamed too.

sara

I feel so sad for Kanye and his family, what a tragedy for them.

Tiffany

First of all, to comments #4 and #5 - I feel really sorry for both of you because you obviously have no empathy towards others, tact or class.

More importantly, I want to send my heartfelt condolences out to Kanye and the rest of his family. Losing a loved one is so hard, especially a mother!
Only the good die young..... R.I.P. Donda West