TMZ

Our TV Shows

Got a Tip?

Call TMZ at (888) 847-9869 or Click Here

Quaid Medical Screwup -- How It Happened

11/21/2007 3:13 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sources tell TMZ that a pharmacy technician at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center mistakenly stocked a massive dose of a drug that ended up being given to Dennis Quaid's newborn twins.

Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace are in stable condition. But a well-placed source at Cedars tells us they are "still very concerned because of the bleed out," adding they won't know for another week if the mistake will cause "longterm effects."

Sources tell TMZ that pharmacy technicians stock the drug Heparin, used to prevent clots and flush out IVs. The drug comes in vials -- 10 units for babies, up to 10,000 units for adults. Protocol at the hospital is to keep the different units separated, but a technician accidentally put 10,000 units in the drawer where the 10 units were stored.

Last Sunday, both infants -- born November 8 by surrogate -- were each given two, 10,000-unit dosages. They began to bleed out just before midnight and were transferred to the neo-natal intensive care unit.

Cedars issued a statement last night, acknowledging the mistake and calling it a "preventable error." That's highly unusual. Also, the hospital claims seven patients were given the wrong dosages. Our sources say 13 patients got the wrong dosage.

149 COMMENTS

No Avatar

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments
1.

Fly on the Wall    

I smell a giant lawsuit brewing.

2424 days ago
2.

Logo Designers    

lawsuit time boooiie!

2424 days ago
3.

eyeamtym    

thats gotta suck soooo bad. i know it was only a "mistake" but in the medical world mistakes are not allowed.

http://myspace.com/nemerom

2424 days ago
4.

maggie    

Oh My God, how could that happen to the twin? That hospital is managed poorly. I guess the hospital will be in big touble.

2424 days ago
5.

Haha suckers...    

How awful. How does something like this happen???

2424 days ago
6.

As if....    

HHMMM....I guess that is what happens when you don't want to "ruin" your body with a pregnancy. If I am not mistaken that is why his wife didn't want to carry a child. They used her eggs and his sperm. Interesting....... Bad Karma, I guess.

2424 days ago
7.

HAHAimfirst    

Its a damn shame when now we as a nation have to be cautious while recieving care in what we think would be the best place to let our guards down. Those two poor helpless little babies deserve better. Matter of fact, so do the other '13' people who were misdosed. ITS A DAMN SHAME!!!!

2424 days ago
8.

Stupid mistake    

At my hospital..heparin dosages must always be double checked by two RN's. Did they not even look at the bottle? what a preventable mistake

2424 days ago
9.

Chilly    

I was a trainer for many years at a major Hospital & Clinic. This is not that unusual. You would be suprised how many time careless "mistakes" like this happen. A lot of drug co's also package items like this in identical bottles with very small print. When a caregiver fails to double or even triple check meds this occurs. A lot of people put Doctors and nurses on some "higher level" when in reality all they did was go to college, they have no super powers. They are just people. No matter how much you trust your caregiver, ask questions and check for yourself. If they get offended, find another doctor, Your health and life are not here to feed their ego's.

2424 days ago
10.

duh    

Hope they are ok.

I can't believe even with this story some idiot is saying, "oh, how terrible," and then advertising that stupid nudist site FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME ON TMZ! Ugh - enough already! I hope you get an incorrect dosage next time you are in the hospital!

2424 days ago
11.

Kelly    

Totally preventable. Even though it is reported the "technician" placed the wrong medication in the drawer, the RN or whomever is amdimistering the medication is ALSO responsible for checking the "5 rights" before giving the medication. Clearly not done for these children.

2424 days ago
12.

K    

FLY ON THE WALL.....please oh please check yourself in to that hospital. We beg you. OD on something so you can be put out of your misery and we no longer have to read your retarded posts. You try to be so funny...not working!

2424 days ago
13.

Sam Walter    

It still falls on the nurse for not checking the dosage before giving it to the infants. I have a handicapped grandchild. We are in and out of the hospital constantly. Incompetence is the rule not the exception. Some think they know you child better than you do. Others just don't give a damn. Yesterday’s soap opera or when they get lunch is far more important. We have had two unnecessary hospitalizations do to there arrogant. My guess is one in ten care/do their job. You just don't here about all the nobodies.

2424 days ago
14.

rosie    

Horrible story! There was a nurse some years baxk in Texas who used to inject infants with heprin and other drugs to cause horrible incidents and make herself a hero. She caused the deaths of several infants and no hospital she worked in did a thing but move her to another job. It wasn't until she worked for a doctor in private practice and caused the death of a beautiful little toddler that she was finally caught and prosecuted. Her name was Genene Jones. I just wonder if this really was an accident in the case of Dennis quaids babys? Something to think about. there are plenty of people who thrive on the kind of behavior Genene Jones used on innocent babies.

2424 days ago
15.

Hoosier chick    

This same thing happened at an Indianapolis hospital. Three babies died. It's just sad that something like this could happen. Pure negligence on the behalf of so many employees. The person that stocks the shelves, the nurses...You would think that hospitals would have learned their lessons after the tragedy in Indianapolis recently!

2424 days ago
| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Around The Web