Heath's Dad -- "Heath Touched So Many People"

1/22/2008 11:32 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Heath Ledger's father, Kim Ledger, flanked by his family, released a statement on Australian television.

We, Heath's family, confirm, the very tragic, untimely and accidental passing of our dearly loved son, brother and doting father of Matilda. He was found peacefully asleep in his New York apartment by his housekeeper at 3:30 p.m. U.S. time.

We would like to thank our friends and everyone around the world for their well wishes and kind thoughts at this time. Heath has touched so many people on so many different levels during his short life but few had the pleasure of truly knowing him.

He was a down to earth, generous, kind-hearted, life-loving and selfless individual who was extremely inspirational to many. Please now respect our families need to grieve and come to terms with our loss privately.

Mrs.Julia Jackson

This is such a shock...may God be with Heaths family and friends at this time, when they need him most.
Heath made many wonderful films and he will never be forgotten. R.I.P Heath.
Heath is in a better place now, watching over his little girl and family and friends...i'm so very sorry for you loss.

Anon

RE:#43... Wow republican or democrat has nothing to do with that poem. It is the poem that Julia Stiles character wrote to Heath Ledgers character in his break out role "10 things I hate about you". Awesome movie, btw. I don't see how that could be coined as "negative or hateful" but I guess that is republicans for you, twisting words to suit their manipulative needs.

That being said, rest in peace. G-d bless his adorable baby girl and Michelle (I know they were not together she is the mother of his child) May all the paps stay away from the two of them.

Another Sad Mother

Having lost a son myself, I know exactly what the family is going through and my prayer's are with them all. I would just like to express my great thanks to Heath's parent for raising such a talented son and sharing him with the world. Although his fans may not have known him on a personal level, we all knew him through his work and we all loved him. We will miss you Heath and maybe you could look my son up in Heaven and say hi. Prayers and well wishes from another grieving mother.

melissa

R.I.P. Heath. May God bless you in heaven and your family that was left behind.

Cassandra

Heath ledger was so talented. I watched the news, and i started to cry. Tears actually fell from my eyes. I still have a strange feeling inside me. Its shocking. A tragic shock.

Much love Heath ledger

rip

always will love you!

Anyone

After I got over the shock I felt when I first heard the news today, I said a prayer for Heath, his family, daughter and all that knew and loved him. I am so sorry for his loss and I know in my heart this was just an accident. He didn't mean to die so young, so full of life, such a good daddy to his little girl. RIP sweet Heath.

Emmy

This is a total shock. Never saw this coming. My thoughts and prayers are with Heath's family and friends. I hope they are able to stay strong for the sake of his daughter.

Jonathon Law

OH MAN THAT SUX!!! I hope that the movie "The Dark Knight" still comes out and then Heath shows up cause he faked his death to boost movie sales. Anyway, i'll be pissed if that movie doesnt come out.
Joker looks B.A.!!

Democrats are evil

Let me get this straight. A poem about hate is just a tribute to the movie Brokeback Mountain. I don't know about you, but when I die, I sure don't want my friends remembering me with poems describing things that I hate. (Other than Democrats), right Black Kettle?

divalasvegas

I just got home from work and hopped online. All I can say is "Wow." I had heard nothing all day about this, so I'm a little shocked. My deepest condolences go to his family and daughter. It is tragic that someone with so much ahead of them passed away so suddenly and so early.

Mary Worth

It's very hard to believe Heath's gone! It's going to be even harder to let go.
I shall miss him always, until it's time to see that beautiful other side for myself!
I cannot ask what might have been; I'm just grateful for what was!
Helpless as I feel, I turn to Almighty God, and humbly ask Him to have mercy
on this wonderful actor, son, father, and all-around great human being!
Rest in peace, mate!

gracie

I hope to God that Michelle and Matilda can be left entirely alone by TMZ and other magazines for the time being... the thought of them hounded after such a horrible occurance just for a photo of either of them looking unhappy or sad just breaks my heart.

KristaWalter

My condolences to the family and friends of Heath Ledger. A great Australian Actor who touched the lives of many. This is a tragic loss.

Rest In Peace Heath

My condolences go to Heath's family and friends, my wishes go to Michelle, baby Matilda and Heath's family. May he Rest In Peace and let the family grieve together.
R.I.P. Heath Ledger (1978-2008)
With respect your much loved fan
Bianca, Rockingham
Western Australia
Australia. :(

Kelli

My heart totally breaks intp pieces right now. I just got a call 2 days ago telling me my nephews best friend who was 10 died choking on his vomit while he was asleep. Let people live and quit being so judgemental and RIGHT all the time. This is my tribute. Peace to you HEATH, GOD REST YOUR SOUL!