Time for a Good Ol' Intervention

1/29/2008 10:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has been reporting for weeks that Britney's family and some professionals in her life have been planning a "creative way" to deal with her mental problems. It looks like the time has arrived.

Sources told TMZ "if it happens," it should happen this week. Last night, Brit's mom, Lynne, her dad, Jamie, cousin Alli, as well as Sam Lutfi and Adnan Ghalib all showed up at Britney's house and were all there at the same time.

Brit's mom and dad (and others) have known for months that a bipolar disorder -- and not substance abuse -- is at the root of her problems. They cannot involuntarily commit her (impossible under these circumstances) and Brit has refused to voluntarily enter a hospital or even undergo evaluation for the problem. But now the plan is underway.

Here's what's significant: Britney has not spoken to her mom for a while -- no contact at all. Last night, Britney and Lynne (along with Sam) left the house at one point and went to the drugstore, so it seems they are now interacting.

There were signs last night that Britney didn't feel as warm toward her dad, that she didn't want anything to do with him.

This move has been in the planning stages for well over a month. It should begin to unfold IF Britney cooperates, and that is the wild card.

BTW, this "creative" intervention is different from what her divorce lawyers pitched to Commissioner Scott Gordon last week. They are not involved in this one.

Stay tuned ...

appauled by the stalkarazzi

Poster # 10 stated" I wish TMZ would stop saying that Britney suffers from bipolar disorder.

NO reputable health professional has diagnosed her, to my knowlege, so there is not way of knowing what her mental health problems are.

Please TMZ - stop playing psychoanalyst and trivializing this disease."

My response: I couldn't agree with you more. It is sad and pathetic the way the paparrazi hound and dog this woman with no regard for her well being.

Lenn K.

It's been time, but too many people are making money off this totally out of control person. Interve now or you're going to find a dead body.

De

True, it's not a substance abuse problem. It's a prescription medication withdrawal that is causing this.

Onequestion

I totally agree with #4. If I were Brittney's parents I would seriously consider finding a way to sue TMZ! I know all about free speech, but when it potentially impedes the care of someone's health you have crossed the line.

patsy ramsey

LADIES AND GENTLEBEAVERS, I HAVE FORMALLY DECLARED THAT AFTER FOLLOWING THE EXCITING CELEBRITY NEWS OF BRITNEY, THAT I AM NOW OFFICIALY BORED OF BRITNEY.
WATCHING HER WALK TO A PHARMACY IS AS BORING AS GOING TO THE PHARMACY MYSELF TO PICKUP TAMPONS!!!
MIGHT I SUGGEST SOMETHING MORE ENTERTAINING SUCH AS SEEING WHO WILL BE PRESIDENT, OSAMA OR CLINTON.
BRITNEY IS NOT TAKING CARE OF HER BODY AND HER UGLY FAT IS SHOWING LIKE WHEN SHE DID THAT MTV CONCERNT.
JUST LIKE JLH WHO I LOST ALL INTEREST IN AFTER SHE SHAMEFULLY LET HERSELF GO IN WEARING A DOUBLE WIDE BLACK BIKINI, I NOW DECLARE BRITNEY OFFICIALLY BORING.

Bibi Jo

Why can't they involuntarily commit her?

We can here in the UK. I slit my wrists and had to spend 5 months in a mental hospital because my husband sectioned me. It was the best hing he did in hindsight . I resisted at first and was furious with him but eventually I gave in and let them treat me, went to the psyche sessions, took my meds etc.
Why can't the authorities help her when she needs it. Her family shouldn't have to make this a 'covert operation' military style and trick her into getting treatment. She is obviously not compos-mentis so she's not capable of making any decisions herself.

Jake

There is only one thing wrong with Britney. That is the slime crawling around her continually with cameras. That's all, the creeps with cameras. Leave the gal alone.

Cutiepie

If I was her mom I would have had her kidnapped and sent to a mental clinic in Switzerland for treatment by now. I have a bipolar mom and I remember my dad having to carry her out to the car and drag her to the hospital when she was so terribly sick. Sometimes you just do what you gotta do for the ones you love when they're too sick to make those decisions for themselves. I pray this intervention is successful and if not, that they take the choice out of her hands.

zoso

#10: By implying that bipolar disorder has caused all of her whacky behavior does a huge disservice to the many people who legitametely suffer from this devasting disease. My grandfather was bipolar and I know how difficult the disease is.
*************************************************

You have said what I have saying all along. True bi-polar disorder is actually not very common. It has become a catch all for anyone exhibiting general "wacky" behavior that can't be explained. True bi-polars will experience extreme highs followed by extreme lows that will leave them in an almost, if not completely, catatonic state. I have a family member who has had this terrible mental disorder for 50 years and has been in and out of institutions her whole life. When she is on a high, she acts like she just snorted an eightball. When she is on a low, she won't even speak or get out of bed.

djdw61

When do we see this on A&E's Intervention show?

kathy t

She seems to welcome to press. Watching this video, she made the choice to sit in the front seat of the suv (fully exposed to the press), not the rear...behind tinted glass. She wants this attention as much as she despises it! She's crazy like a fox, I have no sympathy.

JessBcuz

Hope this works. I'm not a fan, but I AM human....and I just hope she gets better for herself AND her boys. They need a mommy.

appauled by the stalkarazzi

Poster # 20. You were commited because you were a threat to yourself ......tried to kill yourself.

In the USA and in England we do not forcably institutionalize someone just because it is observed that their behavior is odd or strange. If we did half the population would be in mental hospitals.

A person has to be a threat to themselves or others.....an attempted suicide, admited thoughts of suicide or verablized threats of killing yourself, or admited thoughts of physically harming others.

Kira

Good luck Britney.

blablabla

This is just BIZARRE!!!!!

Why go to the drugstore together?????

Why the HELL is Alli or Adnan involved in all this????

The whole thing paraded in public?????

SOMEONE just drop a bomb on this family!!!!!!!!