Heath's Dad on Cause -- "Drugs Proved Lethal"

2/6/2008 12:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Heath Ledger's father has issued a statement following the release of the Medical Examiner's report:
Heath and Dad
"We remain humble as parents and a family, among millions of people worldwide who may have suffered the tragic loss of a child. Few can understand the hollow, wrenching, and enduring agony parents silently suffer when a child predeceases them. Today's results put an end to speculation, but our son's beautiful spirit and enduring memory will forever remain in our hearts.

While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath's accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.
"

Our family enjoyed an extremely happy two week visit with Heath just prior to the New Year. Those recent precious days will stay with us forever. We as a family feel privileged to have some of his amazing magic moments captured in film. To most of the world Heath was an actor of immeasurable talent and promise. To those who knew him personally, Heath was a consummate artist whose passions also included photography, music, chess and directing. We knew Heath as a loving father, as our devoted son, and as a loyal and generous brother and friend.

We treasure our beautiful granddaughter Matilda (to our dear Michelle) as well as an unbelievably wonderful network of close friends, forever, around the world. Families rarely experience the uplifting, warm and massive outpouring of grief and support as have we, from every corner of the planet. This has deeply and profoundly touched our hearts and lives. We are eternally grateful.

At this moment we respectfully request the worldwide media allow us time to grieve privately, without the intrusions associated with press and photography.

TheMizzz

Amen, now I only hope these people are finally left alone!

lillikins

The whole thing is just terribly sad and gut-wrenching....i feel sorry for his family.

dopey

Death by stupidity

Kelly

Yes #1 - this whole thing is just so, so sad. Heath had a bright future ahead of him and a beautiful little girl to watch grow up. May he rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Jaydee665

May the Universal Light of Love envelope this family and provide them comfort during this sad time in their lives. Heath will be remembered with fondness & respect by our family.

Paps - STAY AWAY from these people. Or may all the misery you cause them bounce right back upon you & YOUR families.

cubalibre

Agreed, Lillikins @ 11:53. It appears that he took the wrong combination, to lethal effect, just like a lot of others have. Whatever he may have done in the past, he didn't deserve this-- nor did his parents, or his little girl, or the rest of the family who loved him. It's a sad, sad thing.

TheMizzz

#2 F.U
If death by stupidity were possable, who the hell are you still here???????

xyz

We sometimes forget that there is a human side to these actors. I admit to being fascinated by the coverage of their lives, however the statement made by Heath Ledger's father really hit home. To his family, he was their cherished son. A little girl has lost a father who would have loved and uplifted her all her life. Michelle Williams has become a single parent and will have to face the heartbreak that goes along with seeing other children sharing a relationship with their father.

My son is 21 and so I see Heath more as a boy. A talented, yet anxiety ridden young man. He must have suffered much in silence for fear of the media getting wind of his insomnia and anxiety. I pray that his soul is at peace and that those who loved him will be comforted by their memories of his bright spirt.

Lenn K.

Just a another celeb who bit the dust from the use of drugs legal or illegal. Thoughts and prays to his daughter.

Duffo

My God! How many times do you hear, don't mix prescription drugs? Duh! Now it's cost him...BIG time-forever.

sdfsdf

TAKE A HINT, TMZ: BACK THE HELL OFF AND LEAVE THIS FAMILY ALONE!!!!!

TheMizzz

#9 Have you ever suffered from debilitating insominia, do you know how torturous it can be? So judgemental and heartless, I am so done commenting on this and reading smack from a-holes like you!

marcusA.

I agree with those who say a drug addict is a drug addict, doesn't matter if they are using prescription or street.... Shakes my head at those who get upset at calling Ledger a drug addict, people try to self medicate with prescriptions all of the time; for some ungodly reason they think because they're prescription somehow they're safer and okay to use--it's obvious Heath had a problem by the amount of drugs he was taking and how many Dr.s he had. I have known quite a few people who go around to Doctors trying to get as many prescriptions as they can, deluded into thinking these drugs are going to make them feel high or put them in lala land. It's odd how ignorant he was about the drugs he was taking, he seemed like a more intelligent guy than that--but it's easy to rationalize away when you are a drug addict. Plus he probably was irrational from lack of sleep and all of the drugs. It is a shame, and I am sorry he died... but I do think it's important for people to know the danger of prescription drugs and mixing them, so this story needs to be told. I think there was a lot more to this tale about Heath, what drove him to this... I think it's best to talk honestly and be open about it all. I think it was obvious there was a big problem, the reason why Michelle left him. I am sorry for his family and daughter.

Carol from Spain

i'm really sorry. Its bad bad thing. And i'm sorry for ihs family and friends. Specially for his parents, sister, michelle and of course Jake Gyllenhaal who is taking really bad time for his friends death. Remember that he's matilda's godfather. And for all of his fans in the world, me included. I just hope now take he rest in peace and leftalone his family on this hard time. Sorry for my mistakes, i'm spanish and i'm still learning. We miss you Heath.

Jennifer

It is so sad to see a man of such great character be taken so soon. My heart broke when I first heard this story and still does. Doctor's these days just over do it. I know from 1st hand I have Bi polar and my doctor over did my meds. I was on a number of meds for sleeping and my fiance flushed them down the toilet because they had me out of my mind.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments