Heath's Dad on Cause -- "Drugs Proved Lethal"

2/6/2008 12:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Heath Ledger's father has issued a statement following the release of the Medical Examiner's report:
Heath and Dad
"We remain humble as parents and a family, among millions of people worldwide who may have suffered the tragic loss of a child. Few can understand the hollow, wrenching, and enduring agony parents silently suffer when a child predeceases them. Today's results put an end to speculation, but our son's beautiful spirit and enduring memory will forever remain in our hearts.

While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath's accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.
"

Our family enjoyed an extremely happy two week visit with Heath just prior to the New Year. Those recent precious days will stay with us forever. We as a family feel privileged to have some of his amazing magic moments captured in film. To most of the world Heath was an actor of immeasurable talent and promise. To those who knew him personally, Heath was a consummate artist whose passions also included photography, music, chess and directing. We knew Heath as a loving father, as our devoted son, and as a loyal and generous brother and friend.

We treasure our beautiful granddaughter Matilda (to our dear Michelle) as well as an unbelievably wonderful network of close friends, forever, around the world. Families rarely experience the uplifting, warm and massive outpouring of grief and support as have we, from every corner of the planet. This has deeply and profoundly touched our hearts and lives. We are eternally grateful.

At this moment we respectfully request the worldwide media allow us time to grieve privately, without the intrusions associated with press and photography.

Jemima

This is such a tragedy. I still feel so sad abouot this loss. He has touched so many hearts. Hopefully many will learn caution about medications.

sandy

Wow I hope others take a lesson from this as tragic as it is. Taking numerous meds together, even just once, can be lethal. 6 taken together is just too much. So sad.

dani

it is such a big tragedy. no doubt heath ledger didn't feel quite comfortable, he potentially suffered from anxiety state, maybe he also felt lonesome in that world of glitter and glamour. i am able to relate that in a situation like that you are grateful for medication, you expect help and abatement, you want to get rid of all that aches. nobody out there can reconstruct anything that was going on in heath ledgers life therefore there is no right for anyone out there to jugde. Sincere condolences to his family, michelle williams and the little girl matilda and to his circle of friends.

Gillie

I am deeply saddened by the death of Heath Ledger. I followed his career and enjoyed all the characters he played. I was looking forward to everything he had to offer in the future. This is a terrible loss. I give my deepest condolences to his family. I hope that his little legacy Matilda Rose will know how incredibly lucky she was to be his hope and joy.

to bad it wasn't sooner!

Heath problem was he lied to the doctors and got drugs to take....it's called self medication! Heath lied and took matters into his own hands.....so he died! I don't feel sorry for him because so many people don't have the money or access to doctors they way he did and he wasted it on being a greedy self severing lier. And on top of it he did illegal drugs....he was self destruction on all forms. Feel sorry for the family or friends and the kid....no! They all think that because you have money you can do what you want and when the bill comes for life.....they don't want to pay! To me it's one more person who is now not wasting my oxgen by doing stupied things and putting others in harms way.....THANK GOD! Now if anyone is really sad about Health death....the family and friends....they would do something about it....help others! But they won't they will just be like the rest of the people and sue a doctor for giving the drugs to Heath.....which drives up our health care cost......but bottom line is....HEATH LIED to the doctors. I'm going to love it when doctors stop treating the stars because they all lie to get drugs when so many others out there need help and can't get it because stupied people like Heath help drilve up Medical malpracties cost.

a

It's so sad to know that this was very preventable. I wonder if the doctors in Europe who prescribed some of those medications knew, or even cared about what he was already taking and prescribed in the U.S. Such a shame

Gayle

I have to agree with Misty #12 I suffer from insomnia. Your mind will not shut down for you to rest, days go by with no sleep and you try to function sleep deprived. I remember at its worst I walked to streets for hours trying to wear myself out enough to sleep. They first tried sleeping pills but they don't seem to work for insomnia.
I was lucky keeping a sleep journal ( a notebook keep by the bed you write down what you are thinking/worrying/ etc ) really helped and the correct medication. I now get at least 6-7 hours sleep. Sleep is to be cherished,

Anita

Oh please. Why would a healthy young man need Oxycontin - a drug which is given to people in severe pain from cancer.

The family and everyone else needs to stop kidding themselves!

Heath did from an accidental overdose of drugs.

Who cares if it was prescriptions - it only means he was a good actor and conned a doctor into feeliong sorry for him.

But basically Heath was a dumbass who threw his life away and cared nothing for his child.

Mac Daddy

He played the GAME and PAID the price. I feel that most of the young so called stars are gone to going, but gone to hell already. They are a whole new breed of what the word idoits means.

Beth

Doesn't anyone think that perhaps his handlers or those close to him or him for that matter should have looked and saw and said "Hey mabe not a good idea to mix so many perscriptions" I mean even 12 year olds know not to take meds without first asking and checking. Do you all know how powerful one of those drugs were let alone all of them?

It's a complete tradegy. He was so talented, so handsome, so not like any actor we have seen in a long time.

Prays for the entire family and Michelle and that beautiful little girl.

a grieving daughter

My mother accidentally OD'd on a mixture of LEGALLY prescribed meds. Her doctors knew everything that she was taking, she did not Doctor shop to get more pain medication. She was on multiple pain meds and an anti-depressant. I know my mother did not purposely OD but dead is dead. Regardless of the cause, Heaths' family deserves to be able to grieve for their child, father, brother, friend, etc.

Anita

I'm also pretty sick of Mary Kate Olson and her little miss Innocense act, all the while partying and drugging.
Who does she think she is kidding.

uggg

God Rest His Soul. May His Family Find Peace And Comfort In The Time To Come. God Bless Them.

seeclearly

How dare anybody to judge another person's life ! Nobody has walked a step in his shoes. All we can do is express how we feel about this all and not letting our limited, judgemental minds pouring dirt on a wonderful soul's life journey and passing.

Within my heart I can feel the vacuum that is left by the absence of the presence of this man - and it deeply hurts me. He was a beautiful soul, very special and I am glad that he was here on Earth together with me and shared his light that brought me great joy and touched me in many ways very deeply.

Farewell Heath Ledger, and may your wonderful light bear fruit in your daughter one day.

stormy

This is such a sad tragic loss. Please to Heath's family be there every step of the way for his girl. she will remember and she will need it. She will need your good and bad memories of her daddy, and all of your guidance, As an adult who grew up without my father who passed when I was 5, I can tell you she will need all of you. All are in my prayers.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments