Brit's Attorney Acknowledges He Can't Rep Her

2/7/2008 4:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ just received the following statement from Brit's attorney Adam Streisand:

"At the request of Britney Spears, Adam Streisand, a Partner at Loeb & Loeb LLP, met with her yesterday to discuss her legal rights in connection with the conservatorship over her person and estate. Following that meeting, Mr. Streisand learned that the court had issued orders that prevent Ms. Spears from retaining counsel of her own choosing, and on that basis, Mr.Streisand has decided he will not represent her at this time."

holysheeple

I am still waiting for the Scientologist bigwigs to weigh in on this subject. This is right up their alleyway. Lock her in a room and "detox" her like what was done to Lisa Mcpherson. Sounds like a plan.

just me

I really doubt that the court will change anything until the hearing to determine just how mentally competent Britney is. That hearing must come soon and I seriously doubt that conservatorship will be extended beyond the February 14th hearing until the court hears the psychiatric finding determining how mentally competent Britney is. And I expect that the net outcome of all things considered will not bode well for Jamie Spears being granted more conservator powers than he now has and does not bode well for Jamie Spears having conservatorship at all once the clinical psychiatric finding is presented to the court showing that it has been determined that Britney is no longer "gravely disabled," which was the basis for the psychiatric hold and is the basis for appointing a conservator. The court is bound to a legal criteria established as law by the California State Legislature which is the basis for appointing a conservator for persons with a mental disorder and that criteria is not vague. The person with the mental disorder must be "gravely disabled" as defined in subparagraph (A) paragraph (1) subdivision (h) of Section 5008 of the California Probate Code, which requires a clinical psychiatric finding that the person having a mental disorder be a harm to self and unable to manage basic physical needs. Britney will be emancipated if that finding has changed, which it obviously has. Her being released from the involuntary psychiatric hold is unmistakable evidence of that. Her meds are obviously therapeutic, or at least they were therapeutic when she was released. My only concern is whether or not Britney will continue to take her meds. People who are bipolar must be diligent to manage their meds. Discussing her illness, Carrie Fisher said this: "I'm fine, but I'm bipolar. I'm on seven medications, and I take medication three times a day. This constantly puts me in touch with the illness I have. I'm never quite allowed to be free of that for a day. It's like being a diabetic."

Daisy

A conservatoship is extremely difficult to get. You can't just dig into that person's finances, etc. for your self. If her father were to buy a new car, it better be one to transport a disable person on wheelchair, etc. But if he were to get a Mercedes let's say, that will cost him her guardianship. There is accounting for every penny spent. The judge who granted the family conservatroship did so because she is truly mentally ill and still cannot care for herself, still.

She cannot enter into any partnership (like getting a lawyer, buying 20 cars, buying a 1 bedroom home for 20 millions, etc.) Presumably, those people selling their services or those items can charge her that much and she's incapable of knowing the difference. That's why the conservatorship is important.

streisand should have know better that she is nuts and therefore the conservatroship cannot be disputed. How could he seeing for himself she's looney. At first I thought him to be a bottomfeeder but he just redeemed himself.

Me

BEAN

I'd love to hear what Tom Cruise has to say about all this & hear what kind of garbage he spews out of his Scientologist mouth.

Party 'till you die!

Twit's life just gets uglier and uglier every day! I Love that! She's circling the drain like a turd!

Steph

My guess is that Daddy Spears had already told Adnan that she could go talk to the lawyer to maker her feel like she had a little more control yesterday knowing that she couldn't do anything.

Jean

56. 53. I have to admit, with all the news about Britney and Lynne over the years, I always had an image of Mr. Spears being a pushover dominated by his girls, and riding on the band wagon. I am starting to see him in a different light. He seems to be disregarding all the naysayers and their claims that he just wants to take his daughter's money. The man is not ashamed to say he works for a living as a cook, and he is out there fighting tooth and nail on his daughter's behalf. Yes, I know she financed his business, but none of us know how much this man sacrificed to help his daughter be successful. You go, Mr. Spears!! Turn a deaf ear and save your baby girl!!

Posted at 3:37PM on Feb 7th 2008 by GO DAD!!!

WELLLLLLLLLLLLL SAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Posted at 3:39PM on Feb 7th 2008 by What an idiot

I THIRD THAT! WELL SAID!!

sickof britney

Don't tell me you are surprised! That's what the conservatorship is for. Time to save Brit, take no prisoners.

Moose

IMO, the paparazzi aren't the entire problem. I do worry how Britney will react if she feels cornered in her own household by her own family without access to funds. I would be afraid that she would do herself harm if she feels she has no way out of this situation. If she doesn't do what her family wishes or what they want her to do, then what? What will she do then?

Leslie

Tick tock.... if she doesn't get the help she needs... SOON, a year from now she will be gone and we will all be re-living this through Lifetime's "movie of the week". As a mother of 2, I just cannot put her parents and that Lufti creep in the same category. I'm CERTAIN her parents love her and want what's best for her, especially considering that they are now under the watchful eye of... umm the world - Daddy spears isn't out to squander her money, they just want their daughter back. I can only imagine what they must be dealing with. This intervention plan, from what I understand, has been in the making for over a year. Now that they've busted down Lufti's barricade, they'll hopefully be able to get her on the right track. On another note... whoever it was that posted that attorney new he couldn't rep. her, but was just trying to get his name in the media... I think you nailed it!

Gimme a break

And to #54 - if her Dad were so "greedy" he would not have alienated himself from his daughter's life all these years while she was on top of her game making the most money ever. Maybe, just maybe, he's had enough of watching people use and abuse his daughter while she is under the delusion that she is "in control." Let her dad step in and straighten things out. There IS a co-conservator, and you can bet you ass he is aware that the Court, the media, her business manager and non-believers like yourself will be watching and waiting for him to slip up. He's not a stupid man, otherwise he would have given his statement to the tabloids (a la Lynne to Life & Style) instead of a reputable news source like CNN. Let's give her family a fair chance.

just me

This is worth repeating!

>Let's see...the family isn't helping, they are only after her money. She would have a much better chance of getting better if they would go away, and quit calling Dr. Phil and TMZ and whoever else will listen to their crap. And mom and dad have to learn how to make a living by themselves, without Brit...and when she cuts them off, they ought to accept that instead of pulling this crap to try to ensure the gravy train keeps going. They did nothing but aggravate and annoy her when they should have been supporting her...I'd be pretty sure the Docs warned them of the strain they were putting on their daughter. If I was sick and in hospital and someone who had exploited me all my life was given the power by a court to exploit me some more, I would go crazy too. I hope she tries to get back every penny she gave those greedy monster parents.

Posted at 3:47PM on Feb 7th 2008 by Jamie is a greedy sex addict

A-town girl

All I'm saying is that a parent love their children. No matter what. I used to be young once. I was spoiled and selfish and always wanted more, more, more. But as an adult, I thank God everyday for my parents. Now, I'm able to provide for them. I think Britney mom and Dad will rather have her alive than all the money in the world. In the end, they will be the ones suffering and crying for Britney even when we don't even remember her hit song or her name. They should have this right to do whatever is necessary to keep their child alive. No one else has that right but them.

akika666

I agree the conservatorship will probably not be extended, unless she has a major setback. if a judge found her improved enough to end her involuntary hospitalization, I doubt that she will continue to be found incompetent to handle her affairs.