Cowboy Willie Nelson

Stands Up For Cows

3/26/2008 3:04 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0326_nelson_cow-1Willie Nelson thinks you should know a thing or two about some cows. The country crooner is joining in on a campaign along with the Animal Legal Defense Fund to raise awareness about cruel-and illegal-living conditions for calves raised to produce milk for dairy products. Moo! Boo!

Specifically, they are targeting Land O'Lakes and Challenge Dairy to get them to stop using milk from calves that come from California's Mendes Calf Ranch - which employs an intensive confinement practice (keeping calves in cramped, filthy crates - sometimes without room to turn around or lie down) and is the subject of a lawsuit brought by the ALDF.

Nelson has written a letter to the companies and is urging others to join the petition, www.FreeBabyMendes.com, that is already 22,000 people strong.

TMZ.com contacted Mendes Calf Ranch who had no comment on the issue.

Mommas, don't let your baby calves grow up to be milk cows at Mendes indeed.

Dana

You go Willie!! I am signing this petition now. Willie is also super sexy! The braids make me go crazy!!! Haha. Kidding!

mike

YAY Willie. Now come to back to Maui so we can play some more poker

Kelli

What can I say. I am a Willie fan. Love ya Willie, thanks for all the years of music. My Dad hitchhiked a ride with ya when he was 17.

shannon

EVERYBODY SIGN THIS PETITION

Kelli

It took 5 seconds to sign the petition. Help the calves. :)

Jackiemichele

I guess those cows are not as happy as the commercials make them out to be...bastards...

Otis

Don't touch my Willie

elina

Lyn

It is said one can judge the measure of a man by the way he treats animals. You're a good man, Willie.

Dairy Girl

This story is so lame....obviously none of you were raised on a dairy! MCR is doing nothing wrong.

Denise

thanks so much willie and keep up the good work. I am going to sighn this now. these people should not be aloud to care for animals like this.

Johnny Lawson

thanks Willie, I was wondering what to make for dinner tonight...a steak sounds pretty good...

prfslcad

This is a great story and I really admire for TMZ covering this so young people can get interested in great causes such as humane animal legislation. Thanks!

Tennessee Girl

Dairy Girl what are you talking about?!?! My dad was raised on a dairy farm and they treated their animals very well. Obviously you do not know what you are talking about!!!

Liz

Well there goes the LAND O LAKES butter...................out the window!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments