Cameron Diaz's Father Dies From Pneumonia

4/15/2008 7:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Cameron issued the following statement: "My mom, sister and I are deeply appreciative of the overwhelming outpouring of love and support during this difficult time for us and all of our family. My dad was loved by so many people and his humor and spirit will always live on in our hearts."

TMZ has learned that Cameron Diaz's father died suddenly early this morning.

We're told the 58-year-old Emilio Diaz, a popular resident of Seal Beach, Calif., recently developed the flu which then turned into pneumonia. We hear his death was "shocking" as Emilio was in "terrific health." Diaz is currently filming her upcoming flick "My Sister's Keeper." A source on the set tells us production on the film was shut down today.

Emilio was a second generation Cuban-American who worked as a foreman for an oil company. He had a bit part in his daughter's film "There's Something About Mary" as "Jailbird."

A rep for Cameron did not return our request for comment.

Cameron Diaz -- click to launch

Previous 15 Comments | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15

Laurie

Reading these posts shows me that there are still compassionate people in the world! The fact that each of you took the time to give your respect & well wishes to people you don't personally know renews my faith in mankind. I wish the Diaz family all the best & all the best to each of you that took some time here as well.

tony

My thoughts and prayers are with the Diaz family. Having just recovered from that same illness, pneumonia, I understand fully the trauma the family is going through

ME2

That's awful.My son just got out of the hospital because he had the flu and it turned into pneomonia.He's only 8 and he struggled.Thank God he's ok but sorry for Cameron's Dad.People need to be extremely careful and get to a Doc quick and get an antibiotic.Don't give it a chance to get worse.

MichelleObamaisaman

Hey Webster, I may be a prick, but I am a prick with no zits. Cameron is not very smart, pretty or talented. Just a good piece of a@@--from what I hear. She gets more into the girls if you know what I mean!!! She would hump and bump Obama, Hillary and Oprah!!

donna

My condolences for you and your dear family, i am very sorry for your lost. I do know how you feel I just lost my mom too. My prayers are with you. Fan,

CLU

My condolences to the entire Diaz family. I lost my fother on the same day, and can relate to the pain they are all feeling.

Ginny S

Cameron, I lost my mother on April 17 to complications for MRSA too. It's a pretty scary infection that not enough people know about. I'm sorry for your loss....I feel your pain....

Previous 15 Comments | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15