Peter Strauss Bitten, Dog Bites Dust

4/24/2008 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

peter straussActor Peter Strauss was viciously attacked by a pit bull -- and the attack was so bad, the authorities put down the dog.

Here's what we know. A 30-pound pit bull mix escaped through its owner's fence late last month and attacked 61-year-old Strauss ('memba "Rich Man, Poor Man"?), who was on his property outside of Ojai, CA. We're told the ferocious dog found Strauss in his orchard and attacked him. Strauss was eventually able to escape by climbing up a tree.

A struggle ensued, and the dog eventually went on the hunt for fresh skin, attacking a neighbor. The Ventura County Dept. of Animal Regulation came and subdued the dog with a dog-catching pole.

The dog's owner surrendered the animal to the VCDAR and requested it be put down ... which it was.

We know Strauss was bitten in the legs. He was taken to the hospital and treated.

pitbull lover

NY is the best state on earth

Lolita – OMG… A person that can through around racial slurs so quickly has a child?? GREAT.. Hope you teach your child not to use name calling…

TEXAS, thanks for the offer!!! All I know is I’m happy in the outdoors!

Tim

I have only once heard a pit bull owner whose dog had bitten someone say that the dog was aggressive.
This means in all other cases, seemingly docile dogs have snapped and mauled someone.
So either the owners are lying, or these dogs are a walking timebomb, regardless of the temperment they display.

angel46

BAN PIT BULLS IN TEXAS -- PLEASE
My best friend's aunt was killed by a sweet, docile Pit Bull that she had know since birth. It belonged to her nephew and she had been keeping it with her dogs in her backyard for six months. One day she went out to feed the dogs and the Pit attacked her throat and never let go until she was dead. Her gardner found her shortly afterward and the Police had to be called to subdue the Pit. This woman never had a chance. Many children and other folks have been killed by Pit Bulls in Texas and there is a growing number of grieving families that are trying to have this breed outlawed in Texas

Any person who would have a Pit Bull for a pet deserves to be killed by it as they are cruel and merciless and do not care about their neighbor's welfare. Sure it is "sweet" to it's owner and would not turn on him, but NOT SWEET to anyone else. They are meant to kill....period.

Braver

Something needs to be done about these dog attacks!!!!! Either outlaw the bred or start arresting the owners!!!! ENOUGH WITH THE DOG ATTACKS!!

Tim

90. #88 WOW that's a really general statement...what kind of dog do you have? because I am sure that I could say some negative things about your dog too.

Posted at 3:53PM on Apr 24th 2008 by pitbull lover...

I personally don't own a dog. That being said, only someone who wants to compensate for feelings of inadequacy would own a dog like that.

scout's mom

pit bulls get a bad rap b/c they are! my 25lbs. year old beagle and I were attacked by a pit bull...since the attack my sweet lovable dog is now having behavioral problems while he's on leash. I was bitten and had to go to the ER for shots. So to tell us pit bulls are a docile breed is from someone who hasn't had one charging on them!

Now A Believer

Texas Girl:

So sorry to hear your story. So glad mine did not go that far!

pitbull lover

#91...They are great dogs......why doesn't anybody talk about Chow's? They are increadibly viscious dogs that are leader in dog bites. Also, to address you comment about feelings of inadequcay, that is absolutely ridiculous...oh by the way I am a girl, so what feelings of inadequacy are you talking about? Anyway, the only "breed" of pitbulls that I don't like are the bully pits. People pump steriods into them to make them look "ripped" and that has a very negative effect on their emotional stability just like it does to people. My pits are not the short stumpy pits they just look like regular dogs.

pitbull lover

Hey Texas Girl, my son was bitten in the leg and the "mut" tried to drag him into his kennel until my other son hit it in the head with a rock and pulled my little one out of the dogs mouth. Now, while they knew they were not supposed to be over there without adult supervision they did it anyway and got bit. You can't just say that pits are visious....my son was bit by a mut. My sister, years ago, was bit in the face by a choiwwa. The dog latched on and had to be physically pulled off her. Hmmm, again not a pit.

Tim

I don't know, my guess is you are fat and stupid. But it's only a guess.

pitbull lover

You just made it very clear that you have no idea what you are talking about....your comment is absolutely hilarious Tim. You just gave me a good laugh, thanks!

Tim

98. 96. #91...They are great dogs......why doesn't anybody talk about Chow's? They are increadibly viscious dogs that are leader in dog bites. Also, to address you comment about feelings of inadequcay, that is absolutely ridiculous...oh by the way I am a girl, so what feelings of inadequacy are you talking about?...

Does anyone in your family have a mullet?

pitbull lover

Wow, you sure seem to know a lot about trailers and mullets...is that where you were raised? dumb, very dumb statement

pitbull lover

: ) I ABSOLUTELY AGREE MORGAN!!!