Wiseguy Wants Lotto Whacked Over Scratch Snafu

6/17/2008 2:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The New York lottery might want to think about witness protection.

Vinny Vella - the guy who played Jimmy Petrille on "The Sopranos" -- wants to rub out the New York lotto for -- he claims -- shorting him out of a $5 million scratch-ticket payday. He says he had the right numbers on an "Extravaganza" lottery ticket -- two sevens -- but it turns out that the number was a 17.

Launch photoThe New York lottery tells us the vendor that prints the tickets had a "minor ink and printing problem" that affected about 5,000 tickets. They also say Vella's SOL -- they've got barcodes and other security precautions on the ticket that prove he's a loser.

MGM KID

Lotta holes in the desert...lotta problems buried in those holes....

JustInTime

Sucks to be him! No he shouldn't get the money (SEVTN is pretty clear), but can you imagine *thinking* you won then finding out you didn't???? What a bag-over-the-head punch in the face that would be. But, now he should just do what the rest of us would - bitch about it for a few days, get rip-roaring drunk and cry, then move on. Bada bing!

Brandon

People who play the lottery are idiots with zero comprehension of the basic laws of probability and economics. These are the same morons whose "zero down" mortgages I'm bailing out with my taxes. They'll spend $50 a week (out of a $300 paycheck!) on lottery tickets, but if you tell them the benefits of instead investing $20 a week, they'll tell you they can't afford it.

jrschick76

Um, did anyone look at the letters under the number? SEVTN, I believe that would stand for seventeen? DUH! Fogettaboutit!

Maniacal Zebra

It's pretty clear by looking at the ticket that it isn't a winner.

Cartman

Everybody wants something for nothing. I was only off by 6 numbers on my Lotto ticket but I deserve to win too!

What a friggin loser.

Joan

I sang at Vinny's wedding, he wouldn't lie! Give him the money so he can take Margaret Ann for a swank honeymoon. I love Margaret Ann! She is so sweet, she wouldn't have me sing at their wedding until Robert De Niro walked in! Luv you guys!

jackschitt

15. Well if the top number is a 7 and seven is written underneath it then its a 7..if the bottom number says 7 and seven is written underneath it...well...there is no disputing it...that is the sole purpose of the "writing" of the number, so this crap doesn't happen! If that is what it says then pay the man! I would be ticked if I was him!

Posted at 12:31PM on Jun 17th 2008 by elle

LOOK UNDER THE NUMBER AGAIN...IS STATES 'SEVTN'. SEVTN IS SHORT FOR SEVENTEEN, NOT SEVEN.

sheesh

It says SEVTN below and not SEVEN. Sorry, but you lose. I'd be pissed after thing I won all that moolah.

AlbanyAnon

Any bleeping idiot who's played lottery in NYS (myself included) knows that svntn is 17, not seven.. this guy is made of fail.

jaye

Why is their printing problem HIS problem?

Chuck

It does say SEVTN learn to read you dumb NYC peeps

gwsgr

He shouldn't get anything. You can see that the one was present and there was a problem. Also there is a sevtn underneath it to show that it should be seventeen and not seven. Whenever someone writes a check and the written part say, for instance, SEVENTEEN DOLLARS and the box part has $7.00 the legal tender for the check is actually the SEVENTEEN written out part. Don't see why this should be any different and that is probably why the lottery does it the way they do. I can see why he would be upset though, but life happens!!!!

jeezlouise

um yeah, it clearly shows the 1 in 17 was printed faintly on the ticket by the printer.

Keepurheaduptj

It was a 17 it even had sevtn under the number so i dont think they cheated him it was just a mistake, he need to count it as a loss

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments