L'Oréal: Get Réal

8/8/2008 2:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

BeyonceBeyonce, or L'Oréal for that matter, probably had no idea that an ad for hair color would cause so much controversy. I am an African-American woman and I work for TMZ. Yes, TMZ hires Black people.

I saw the new L'Oréal ad a few days ago, and it struck a nerve. There's still a stigma of Black celebs acting "too Black." This ad re-enforces that negative portrayal.

Why can't a powerful, talented African-American woman be celebrated for her natural beauty? L'Oréal claims they didn't change Beyonce's appearance, but who are they fooling? L'Oreal obviously wanted to make Beyonce look White.

The L'Oréal ad is disrespectful and dismissive to the Black community. And L'Oréal's explanation is lame.

My name is Nina and I approved (and wrote) this message.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Amber

In my personal opinion it is probably just the intense lighting that is used on these types of photoshoots that caused her to look lighter, I could also have been what type of makeup was used and if a highlighting cream was used on her face also.

Just call me trailer trash....

get over yourself please.....this is a gossip site for crying out loud

Get over it

get over it, anyone that knows a lick about photography knows that lighting can do alot, so other than blemishes, they may not have touched anything else. Add the lighting plus the hair color and she could come out lighter. It's not like they came out with an ad that said the only way you can be attractive is if you look white.

Lucky

Whatever lady... you know you don't work for TMZ... And if you do, you should try and use some of that space for something a little bit more tantalizing. This is a friggin tabloid site, fer chrissake. Not the NAACP.

Patricia

I'm sorry but the version of this picture you have here is much lighter than the ones I've seen on other websites. I think Lo'Oreal isn't the one doing the whitening. I think TMZ is in order to stir the pot and create 'news'.

Dawn

Well can I take offense that you dont want her to look white? Get a grip, people like you are the cause for all the race tension we have. If blacks want equal rights, then so be it-- I am all for it, but to bring to the attention that you are black and offended, make me think harvey needs a slap for allowing you to show your ignorance.

MIck

Sorry, but you have no proff of what you;re saying. Sure, blame everything on the whities. If it was touched up, how do you know a black girl who works for the company didn't lighten it up or make that decision? It looks like god lighting and decent makeup. Sounds like paranoia on your part, Ms. TMZ Black Girl.

WoWzers

Natural beauty??????
It's an ad for a product to alter your natural beauty

Should white actors get mad for being told to get a tan for an upcoming movie,

Seems likes everywhere you look there is the ever present race card

skinny minnie

First of all im not sure why this lady is getting soooooo upset over this ad. Beyonce herself paints her face to look whiter than she really is. In fact most black women do this in Hollywood ( aka lil kim? Micheal Jackson too lol) It seems to me that if this tmz staff member is upset it should be at her own culture for betraying there true colour and trying to be something there not. Loreal bases there image on what beyonce herself portrays.

curious

I agree with you 100%, but I'm just wondering why you capitalized "Black" throughout your comments but not "white"?

Ashley

This is ridiculous. Get over it. First of all... it's a hair color ad!! They will alter the photo (if at all) to help promote their product. The hair color she's advertising is blond... which in all respect looks terrible on dark skinned individuals. They need to sell a product. Not subliminally be racist towards blacks. Get a grip.

gazoo

If you can prove that the picture was altered then please do so, otherwise maybe you should stop your complaining and using your position for personal agenda. Should anyone be altered to appear more white or less black, NO. Should anyone try to act "less black", NO. Should everyone be proud of who they are and how God made them, YES. It is very possible that the lighting itself and filters used made her appear lighter in tone or the fact that her hair is lighter and more bronze carried over to her skin tone in the photo. Does Beyonce have a problem with it? If not, then neither should you. She is beautiful no matter how light or dark she looks in the photo. Or is it perhaps that you just feel she is not DARK enough?

mel

you couldn't use a more recent photo or more clearer to compare? In the before she has darker hair and as you should know when you lighten you color so dramatically it does have an illusion of lighter skin

Kat

This entire post is just GARBAGE. Trying to get more people to blame even more crap on white people.

cooljjtmf

Why is this an issue, I see people change their hair color every week. How do you know if she didn't a different color after the shoot. Lets move on to better gossip

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments