Phelps -- Now a Real Homie

8/21/2008 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Phelps has plunked down $1.69 million for a condo on the waterfront in Baltimore, Md. Here's the headline -- practicing in that pool ain't gonna win him any medals.

His new pad is 4,080 sq. ft. (check out the model in the photos). The complex has a rooftop terrace, a private screening room, a state of the art gym, a clubhouse with pool tables.

If you're wondering where the money came from, Phelps was projected to earn between three and five mil this year even before the gold.

arte help

USA! USA!

go away

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, I know exactly where this is. Even though I heard he purchased a town home in Baltimore City. not a condo. but who knows.

barry Gordy is genius

This is nicer than his condo in Fresno.

ME

WAY TO GO PHELPS! "GOLDEN BOY"
YOU EARNED IT

barry Gordy is genius

With all the medals he won for us, America should've atleast offered to buy it for him. Jeesh.

Tony

He earned it, so good for him. But why a condo and not a house? No matter how expensive the condo is, it is still a condo in a building with a bunch of other people and are at their mercy, not to mention unbelievable condo fees.

Way to go Michael. Now if he needs a good foot masseuse for those sweet size 14 feet let me know. I give the best foot massage around.

Amy

Why would anyone want to live in MD?

Linda

Good for him! If that condo is new, the builder should GIVE it to him for all the publicity his living there will bring them. I can't imagine that the Baltimore condo market is that hot...certainly not as hot as Michael Phelps!!

go away

Because maryland is a gorgeous State, I guess you have never been here.

go away

aunt Flo aka period, Of course he wants to live in Maryland, he grew up there, his family is there, his friends are there. why would he make a home somewhere else away from the people he loves?

Sue in NC

As far as the "head line" .... "Practicing in that pool isn't going to win him any medals"
Come off your crack - pipe! I am sure "practicing" wasn't the intention of the purchase!
If the boy doesn't win another gold in his life time.... he's represented the United States well in the
last 8 years!
Michael, I applaud you! Job well done, enjoy your new place!

midi

maryland has some beautiful areas, just like virginia! very beautiful! wow, what a place he's got!

Kim

The kid is good, but he can't even articulate!!!
I watch/read TMZ because it typically makes fun of Hollywood and its overabundance. It humors me.
However,
The long known question...
Why is it only stars and athletes make this kind of money????
It disgusts me.
And don't bother replying to this, I won't answer back. You have your opinion, and I have my own.

Jane

I'm sure the other condo owners are going to LOVE the swarms of fans, photogs, journalists etc.
He will probably not even be there the majority of the time. Eventually this hysteria will pass and he will be able to enjoy it.

david M. johnson

I live right down the street. He has an attached townhouse, not a condo. The condo
building is next door. He has his own garage and privacy and view of the water.
And by the way, Maryland and Baltimore are beautiful, really undiscovered gems.
But we love it a lot when people think otherwise. More for us.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments